Friendly: Advice for Commanders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friendly: Advice for Commanders

Every post lately seems to end up with someone flaming. That's getting pretty annoying. In this thread I'd like to discuss advice people can offer to new commanders. If someone upsets you, I'd like to ask that you refrain from flaming in this thread. There's 50 other threads out there for that. And no, I'm not pretending to be a good commander; this thread was started for my own learning as well.

I'll start it off:
    1) To me, the most important: Give your plan early. Depending on the strategy, certain weapons may be needed. Our freeze time should be long enough to convey your plan and then buy weapons. It really sucks to hear, "OK, I need two guys with Scouts.", when I just bought a shottie. Actually, this never happens because I wait till I hear the plan before I buy my weapons. What normally happens is with 2 seconds of freeze left I hear, "Rush B hard", and I need to take time to buy my load out.

2) Give orders. "I need one guy to Scout roof and two guys in the middle." is a request. "Batman, take a Scout to the roof. Kark and N1nja clear the middle. The rest guard me as I plant at A." are commands.

Any other suggestions?

Re: Friendly: Advice for Commanders

Positive rep for starting a quality thread.

There's nothing worse than getting just a or b (if that), and it sucks to buy the wrong loadout because the commander didn't give clear instructions.

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

The two worst types of commanders I've experienced on our servers are

1) the people who don't realise that they are totally incapable of commanding

and

2) bullies.

If you fall into either of those catagories, you're not going to help your team if you're the commander. Let someone else take charge, please.

Root
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Get to know the abilities of the people on your team. If a guy is sporting a scout and getting massive kills with it, don't put him in an area where his range advantage is gone.

This works well for me when I take over. I load wyz up with loud guns and let him "practice" by getting shot in the head a bunch of times. I make Root take point because he's good at soaking up high-velocity rounds. And I sit at the back and laugh, right before I get "deagled."

Comment

Is it possible for a teammate to actually elect himself to be the commander? I seem to end up playing as a Terrorist alot, and having the bomb carrier call the plan each round means nobody is ever established as the "leader" of the team.

And honestly alot of guys arent good at commanding (myself included especially without a mic) I think it would be easier for the same guy to command each round. And if frustration or the losses mount up then he can either step down and give someone else a shot or we can chalk it up to a learning. After all it is good to let some of these guys get some training and practice at commanding anyway isnt it?

I would personally welcome any TG or regular to give commanding a shot and am more than willing to listen to their plan, I just dont see it happening very often right now. I think it would be easy to set up a sort-of protocol at the start of the map to establish a leader.

my thoughts,
          cheers

Comment

First of all, anyone who thinks alot or aswell are words should be perma banned from existance :)

My (limited) understanding of our NS server is that if I announced to the team that I wanted to comm, I would probably (but not definitely) be given the opportunity. Pretty much anyone can be the comm, as long as they don't make a complete ass of themselves, and as long as they listen to intel, and take on board any good advice.

There is no reason why the same should not apply on the cs servers. If no-one on the team wants or feels capable of commanding, then it's probably best that the team work together, communicate, play to the objective and bypass having a commander.

Having the same comm for the whole map makes an awful lot of sense if they're competent.

Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I'm usually terrible at leading the team, but sometimes I get a good plan. I always prefer a TG regular (or Root, I have to hand it to you, you know how to lead a team) telling me what to do.

-Cain

Comment

Bloodbane = Product of public education system :(

Comment

I have to give my side of the story about the getting the plan out early deal.

I usually do a pretty good job of getting the plan out before the buy time is up, but it's rough sometimes. Why? I have no mic. I obviously have to physically type everything. It's not easy especially when you've got an extensive plan in mind. Now I'll always make sure I get the plan out before I start buying weaponry, but regardless.

I guess the point of this post was to just get some understanding on my part and whomever else is in my situation.

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Comment

I would tend to agree, plz plan within the planning time in the begining of the round. I know sometimes people realize 'whoa lookie here I have the bomb' with about 5 secs left. Others are not excessively good at strats. What has happened with myself and a few others I have seen is that the bomb carriers will announce a bomb site and thats it. Which ok, we have a destination, but sometimes just knowing the destination is not enough. I have seen people step up after an indecisive bomb carrier gives a destination and then take "command" and give roles to other members (ex. I need 2 people circle around.....and I need the rest to encircle the bomb carrier.....) Which I think is great. So if you have someone who in unsure, offer suggestions and call plans. Just don;t be overbearing about it.

Comment

Probably the worst thing that happens (and Im guilty of it meself) is not knowing which bombsite is A and which bombsite is B. When people call out where the bomb is and the say "Long hall next to A" and there is no long hall next to A it gets confusing. Like as I said I am guily of it myself, ecspecially on inferno_tt where the bomsites are switched around from the valve one....
                      |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

*bump*

I don't think many people read the older posts (IE not on page 1 of the forum). More people should read this thread based on what I see on the server.

Root
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Oh and new players should NOT be afraid to come forwards and take a crack at commanding, especially if you have a basic grasp of the game. Failing that, at least don't be reluctant to make a suggestion. Even the best ideas can fail if the other team out-twitches you.

Root
                          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                            Oh and new players should NOT be afraid to come forwards and take a crack at commanding, especially if you have a basic grasp of the game. Failing that, at least don't be reluctant to make a suggestion. Even the best ideas can fail if the other team out-twitches you.

Root
                            That seems to be what always happens to me, I think of something that "seems" to be halfway decent (even though I suck at making them) and all the sudden around the corner BOOM! HEADSHOT!!
                            |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

I agree that someone should take charge (preferabley someone with a mic) every round, unless their plans keep failing. I'd also like to put in that if you don't have pretty good knowledge of the map, you should probably be asking what you can help with as opposed to giving commands to everyone (I know that I have broken that bit of advice a few times, but im trying to quit that habbit).

Anyways, great thread :) Would like to hear more suggestions.
                              Cheer up, the worst is yet to come
                              |TG| Shifty Powers and |TG| KungFuChicken

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...