Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Thoughts...

Touching isn't it?

Here are my thoughts on how individual skills, cooperative skills, and luck all are factors in the game of Counter Strike Source.

Individual Skills:
    This is the old rambo esque counter. This is where most players put there trust in especially if they are not in any clans. People who excell in this usually take great pride in it whether or not they admit it. This can stretch between the "can this guy walk and talk at the same time?" to "he is a god or he must be haxing". Not counting hackers the abilities of a single player can be astounding if you've ever seen a CAL match (if you do not know this is a league which CAN consist of the best of the best). It is true that in this game that one man can easily take down a team one player at a time or perhaps if he is skilled enough several at a time. Now while some point to the games bad programming this is also a result of them just being "plain good." Now this may annoy some TG members but individual skill at its greatest can potentially outrank cooperative skills by a long shot. To this I add: The only advantage you have sticking together as a team is to die incredible fast together with an amazing amount of head shots in a row or nicely thrown nades. Now not to say that it is bad to stick together, on the contrary you have more of a chance working together against an incredibly skilled player than one man at a time. This still does not garantee victory though just enhances it to a degree dependent on the you number and his skill of guerrilla warfare.

Cooperation Skills:
    This is what TG is about currently in a nut shell. This is the nuts and bolts of teamwork which can give the edge against another team. This is where you work together in order to achieve the objective or neutralize the other team if you must. With this skill though all players on the skill must have it in order for it to work or it can actually become somewhat a liability. Now if someone is a great leader that can really give a team an advantage IF the other team mates are able to cooperate with him or even plain listen to him. If everyone cooperates as instructed there is a sense of team spirit that helps moralize them to a greater extent than a single player acting on his own. If everyone is acting together this can be quite fun and successful if the plan works. Now sometimes it doesn't and people lose but unfortunatly this can make people skeptical of their leaders. This is a natural response to failure and the only way to overcome this is by trust and, unfortunalty, HAVING to win some. I say this because some teams are overwhelmed by the skills of the other team and even though their plans and teamwork were adequate they still fail. It is human nature to blame the leader no matter how much you think you don't and thus the cooperation can be lessened considerable. Thus cooperation can be good but can be hard to hold. Another negative aspect of it is when one player seems to be cooperating but doesn't cover a flank without telling anyone allowing the enemy to overrun a bombsite. This can be from a plain mistake even when they are hardcore PCS and must be learned from but not chided for or it will break the cooperation of the team.

Both of the Above in Play:
    This my friends is where I believe TG should ultimatly be considering a prime example of an exemplary player.
    Now to start this off I would like to give two examples that I hope will give my explanation to this section:
    First would be that your entire team is trying to take A in say... Cabble by going through long hall and some in middle. Now there are guys all over the place just itching to kill you. This is where team work and skill come in. Now you can use teamwork to flash most of the area with two flashes from seperate people who are working together. Still some of these people in the area are not flashed as the team rushes out both enterances... Freeze! Now what comes into play as we get into here? Now some might say cooperation and some might say it is individuals and I tend to agree mostly with the latter. This is the moment of truth where these skills are tested as if you cannot overtake these people then you lose. Now where the cooperation skills come in is that others are helping you clear the area but remember you are all individuals that think differently so you might shoot at different targets or may see an enemy someone else did not. An enemy individual can completely destroy half of a team if the entire team does not look in a specific spot. Now since the teams I know are not one single organism they have no idea whether you have specifically checked an area. The closest you can get is to ask someone to be covering an entry when they enter or check a spot but this can get very tedious and unpractical. You just have to trust in your teammate to cooperate and have enough skill to search the areas sufficiently.
    Second. Lets say that it is the same situation but when you enter a bunch of your team members in the fighting go down and you are split up from your team (this is of coarse after you have tried to defend the bomb carrier but alas he has been shot and the bomb has become inaccessible somehow). This is where individual skill can come in and help even the odds by lessening the amount of opposition and/or regrouping the team through his efforts (this can be somewhat a team effort but usually as I have seen endowed to one person through the needs of the situation). Thus an individual must be able to have the skill to do this by which I mean survive and still have enough coop skill to get with the survivors. In conclusion, I believe that the best player has great cooperation skills with his team and individual skills in order to keep himself alive and most importantly be able to adapt to changing conditions in the field of action by himself if he must in order to keep his team alive and goal attainable.

Luck:
    Unfortunatly this can play a large role in this game. I believe one example will do for this. Let's say in Cabble that the t's are rushing B. They smoke, flash, and do everything they can to make it successful. They come out in good form with excellent players.... Who get shot down almost immediatly. Now why I put this situation in luck is that this embodies unexpected occurances. Now the t's have lost lets say three of there players but are already out of the enterance. This is where things can go to Hell. Now you are outnumbered and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. Just remember that even the best plans can go to Hell even when carried out perfectly.

Guerilla Warfare:
    What the heck is this section about you may be asking yourself? This my friends is what can easily destroy even the greatest team and even helped bring down Napoleon himself (well at least in Spain)! I can site a million of examples of when teams almost lose or are annihilated when they are guarding a bomb. One person if he has half the brains will make sure an area is clear of enemies before walking out and trying to get the bomb with a hole in his head (not to say he shouldn't try if he doesn't have the right equipment but let us assume he does not). Thus while you have to stay at the bomb he can roam to serveral sides in order to clear the area (now many will argue that this is kill seeking and I see you point totally... unfortunatly I can not agree with any other way of trying to get the bomb unless you wish to commit suicide). Skilled players know how to hit and run untill they either annihilate the other team or in the PCS spirit are able to get the bomb and plant it. Not much can be done about defending against this as by this time the defenders only have enough to gaurd the vital entries. Thus they can be taken down one or two at a time. Other than prayer there is not much but individual skill or the hope that the one that is killed reports where the enemy was last. I don't think anyone can convince me otherwise of this as I have seen this way to many times!

Note:
    I will argue with you all to defend them and may modify them if you make a good point. SO PLEASE BE CONSTRUCTIVE even if you totally disagree!

- "Children in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause children."
    - "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

~ SephVal <--> TG-303rd Master Sergeant (MSG) <--> Distinguished Sniper - Class I

~ COD4 Sniper <--> Owner of the Golden Dragunov

Re: My Thoughts...

i agree totally. (how long did that really take you to type?) :icon7:

ive seen players that are just so skilled on some servers that they usually get headshots. i was even impressing myself today on a glass map with a scout. i was getting headshots all over the place.

Comment

Re: My Thoughts...

Originally posted by black death5
      i agree totally. (how long did that really take you to type?) :icon7:

ive seen players that are just so skilled on some servers that they usually get headshots. i was even impressing myself today on a glass map with a scout. i was getting headshots all over the place.
      I'm a pretty fast typer so not that long to answer your first question.

Yes the headshots I was leaning on but that wasn't the whole point of the thread but mearly a section of it. But yes, if you are on a run getting headshots left and right there's not much the opposing team can do about it...

- "Children in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause children."
      - "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

~ SephVal <--> TG-303rd Master Sergeant (MSG) <--> Distinguished Sniper - Class I

~ COD4 Sniper <--> Owner of the Golden Dragunov

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X