Amount of DE maps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amount of DE maps

Why must there be so many of them? Or are they all bunched up together? Because today, all in all, I played about 10 maps, and out of those 2 were hostage maps(though to be fair, one was italy and the other italy_tactics), at least 5 of those maps were in a row. I don't have anything against de maps, but I honestly think that cs maps are more flexibile in terms of tactics, and over all more enjoyable, especially without a complete crew of TG regulars. I'm not the only one who thinks so, either. I think we could really do with a bit more cs maps.

Re: Amount of DE maps

The problem is that most mappers tend to focus on making DE maps because they don't want to deal with the boneheaded hostage AI. If you look at the map counts on FPS Banana, DE maps outnumber CS ones by about a 3 to 1 margin. Valve has the chops to make them better, but for whatever reason doesn't. One example would be the AI for the the Force Recon Marines in HL1, AI that would flank, throw grenades if you decided to hole up somewhere and do a quick recon to find you.

Comment

Originally posted by Potshot View Post
      Why must there be so many of them? Or are they all bunched up together? Because today, all in all, I played about 10 maps, and out of those 2 were hostage maps(though to be fair, one was italy and the other italy_tactics), at least 5 of those maps were in a row. I don't have anything against de maps, but I honestly think that cs maps are more flexibile in terms of tactics, and over all more enjoyable, especially without a complete crew of TG regulars. I'm not the only one who thinks so, either. I think we could really do with a bit more cs maps.
      I agree. A more evenly distributed cs/de maps would be nice

Comment

I know there are more de maps, and a lot of the cs maps aren't good by TG standards. But I still think that we could have less de maps in a row. I wouldn't mind if it was balanced by having certain cs maps played more often.

Comment

If a cs map is the nextmap, I generally let it be and not start a random vote. Whenever I do start a random vote, you all vote for a de map, that is why we get so many in a row.
          "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
          "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

That's one of the reason I almost prefer to not have a vote. I am pretty easy to please. There is only one map I don't like much, but i'll even enjoy playing that one. I just sort of like going through the rotation so we see every map.

I also think the reason there are more de maps is because they are a bit easier to make. Given my VERY LIMITED experience, a bomb map is make a map, place sites and you are done. A hostage map you have to worry about pathways and the ability of the hosties to actually follow well. So they are a little harder.

VIP maps may be less common due to lower popularity?

Just my opinions! (please don't shoot me... out of game
            "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I put up votes because it seems when I join its the same map I played the day before when I left. :(

FUN FUN

Comment

I understand voting sometimes... it just seems that sometimes I see way too many votes. Particularly when a map I really like comes on and it gets changed after a round or so. But the issue of the number of map votes is a different issue. :-D
                Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

There is too much voting going on.
                  I'm sorry, I was taking life seriously.

Comment

I much prefer cs maps even though the stupid hosties are to retarded to walk up steps or walk through doors properly.I like the game mode, and that's just me.For me de maps are the same thing plant the bomb over and over. But hosties allow for more creativity. Ive seen more creative rescues then plants in my time on the server.

Comment

to me, it feels DE maps are far more tactical. how often to you see stradegy planned out on CS maps. usually(thought not always), everyone says what side they're gonna hit and they go. on DE maps, people seem to coordinate attacks and make a rock solid strategy before leaving spawn. i geuss what im trying to say is CS feels like everyone is a lone wolf with a common objective, whereas DE feels like a team working against a team. now VIP! thats another story altogether..... theres a lot of room for creativity with VIP......

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                        to me, it feels DE maps are far more tactical. how often to you see stradegy planned out on CS maps. usually(thought not always), everyone says what side they're gonna hit and they go. on DE maps, people seem to coordinate attacks and make a rock solid strategy before leaving spawn. i geuss what im trying to say is CS feels like everyone is a lone wolf with a common objective, whereas DE feels like a team working against a team. now VIP! thats another story altogether..... theres a lot of room for creativity with VIP......
                        Planning is not the only thing that makes a round tactical. Some of the most tactical and communicative rounds I've played have been freestyled. The thing with DE maps is that you have(most of the time) at least two-thirds of the team going one way and after that, communication pretty much stays at "enemy spotted @ (insert area here)" level. With CS maps, the kind of free flowing attack style allows you, or mostly forces you to push through at unexpected angles and to cover or support teammates, and not just in the "a few potshots in the direction he's getting shot from" way, but the kind of surprise short range flanks, quick rushes within the few seconds an enemy is distracted, and whatnot.

With a good team, DE maps are so much more than just choosing a site, but the same can be said for CS maps. And I disagree about that lone wolf comment. A team is made up of individuals, and while a good team doesn't necessarily need individual accomplishments, they certainly don't hurt. In a good team, 7 people work as one, but in a great team, those 7 people will seem like 70. Lone wolves won't survive, but individuals who are willing to cooperate do.

Comment

like on damaged

OK, lets have <name> and <name> go up and clear the overlook leading to the dam. After they clear it, the rest of us will run across the bottom of dam. When we reach the other side, <name> and <name> will leave the top of dam and move toward the window overlooking B bomb site. They will begin to clear the top and we will run in below at the same time.

See? That's a plan and gives a tactical situation.

Now assume <name> and <name> die like pathetic dogs chasing a suicide bomber's car.

OK, since our upper men are dead, we will pull back and approach the top. Head down like we are heading to A. We'll throw some smoke and leave 1 man behind. Then we go down those stairs to the dirt path. We'll move down the dirt area to B and plant there.

You not only need a plan, you need to be able to change it as people die or you encounter unexpectedly heavy resistance.
                          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                            like on damaged

OK, lets have <name> and <name> go up and clear the overlook leading to the dam. After they clear it, the rest of us will run across the bottom of dam. When we reach the other side, <name> and <name> will leave the top of dam and move toward the window overlooking B bomb site. They will begin to clear the top and we will run in below at the same time.

See? That's a plan and gives a tactical situation.

Now assume <name> and <name> die like pathetic dogs chasing a suicide bomber's car.

OK, since our upper men are dead, we will pull back and approach the top. Head down like we are heading to A. We'll throw some smoke and leave 1 man behind. Then we go down those stairs to the dirt path. We'll move down the dirt area to B and plant there.

You not only need a plan, you need to be able to change it as people die or you encounter unexpectedly heavy resistance.
                            I would like to point out that very rarely lately, I have seen this sort of planning for a rescue map. Odviously there are exceptions, Back alley for example. Almost every time I play CT on that map, we tend to plan it out similar to what Skylark said above. Where so and so go one way, and a few go another way and the rest into front alley.

Although come to think of it, very rarely do any of those plans work as intended....
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes. I admit that I even fall into the rut of just going to wherever and defending.

Some of us are also vulnerable to what I call "tunnel vision."

You are so focused on 1 target (or whatever) and fail to notice the rest of the team dying off, and therefore don't pull back/assist/whatever.
                              " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...