No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• de_crookcounty

Here you guys go. A map that might fit well with your style of gaming.

Re: de_crookcounty

We will certainly check it out.. Been waiting for this final.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

de_crookcounty is on the server and ready for evaluation. The map is not in the rotation.
      So finally, after nearly 3 1/2 months of work on a single map, Ive finally released it. Its a hell of a map, and its not just me whos worked on it. A total of about 5 people put a lot of time into designing specific things placed in the map and helped work out problems to find solutions. So Ive gotta mention them as without them this map would probably be nothing close to where it is now.

Zareh ([email protected]): Modeled and textured practically all the custom models bspzipped into the map. He put a lot of time and effort into the models, and it definitely shows.
      Caleb Kraft ([email protected]): Created the audio files used on the radio for the radio station, hes the voice behind the announcer.
      Drastikat: Created the custom decals which made the name of this map make sense, and produced the signatures hidden in a secret room.
      HellSpawn ([email protected]): Hes done a variety of things, ranging from bug-testing, to idea suggestions. A lot of things would be different if he hadnt suggested what you see now.

And of course, me, Alex Roycewicz ([email protected]).

So drop us a line and thank us for what we've done when you get a chance :D

================================================== =======================================

Map Issues:

There are a few minor issues with the map, most people wont notice and/or care about them, but they still exist.

- The biggest problem right now is that i havent tested this map with 64 people, as its incredibly hard to get 64 people to download an 80mb map which isnt linked on the internet. So far the max Ive tested it about 32 people total, and about 20 bots. The reason i mention this is that this map runs with a huge entity amount, right now its at 75% of the maximum entities allowed in CS:S. When the entity amount gets too high, the server will crash upon respawn of players. I dont think this should be THAT big of a deal because Ive calculated a few things and the map will definitely last up to 55 players or more. I believe i fixed the problem completely, but again, i have no way of being sure.

- The next thing is that some people might freeze up randomly. I think Ive fixed this too, because the reason they crashed was when they would spectate and clip through a wall too many things would be drawn at once on a lower end system and CS:S would crash/freeze. What i did was just disable the ability for spectators to clip through walls when dead, hence the problem should be fixed.

- Another problem is how random people just freeze CS:S at a completely random place in the map. The bad thing is i cant exactly fix this, but the good thing is that it happens very rarely (never on good computers), and if it does happen just reconnect to the server and it wont happen again.

- You can hear doors from most part of the map being opened. This is a glitch in CS:S and cannot be fixed by me unless the doors are silent, and after watching people close the doors on themselves, i'm just going to call this a way to figure out where your team/opponent has gone. Just use it to your advantage.

- Sound doesnt work for the first round, and only the first round. Dont know why, but its fine every round after that. Logic_autos dont seem to work in CS:S, so I cant do much about this.

Ive heard many people criticizing the layout of the map as too big for anything less than 16 people or so, but this isnt the case at all. The map flows incredibly well, as Ive tested it extensively with games which had a total of only 8 people and it played fine. Once you learn the map, everything gets much smaller. But for the record, if you have a small 6 player server, this probably isnt a map you want to add to the rotation as it was designed for the big servers which lack nice big maps people can play on.

Snipers arent a problem in this map, at least if you dont decide "hey lets all run down the street single file!" as your strategy. People can easily avoid all the sniper fire by just taking the many routes through the alleyways which lead to the bomb points. Its very simple to do this, yet people think its impossible to avoid the snipers. Use your head in this map and youll be the best player in the server. This isnt another one of those mindless CS:S maps where pure brute rushing can win you the round.

You ARE going to have to use some form of teamwork if you want to win the round. While people who run alone and straight toward the enemy are likely to get a kill, they most surely will be ambushed from behind by two players who have stuck together to work their way around the map. People need to travel in packs, and Ive seen anywhere from two man teams to 12 player teams running in packs across the map to gain a victory. And a sweet victory it is as you know how skillfully youve won it.

Basic help for bomb defusal:

When you know a bomb has been planted, you have a 90 second bomb timer to work with. If you are close, take your time, gather people up, and split into teams to search the bomb sites (unless you know which building its in beforehand). Use basic room clearing techniques, where one opens the door and briefly looks inside. Be careful when opening doors as usually people will spray the entrance will bullets once the door is opened. Once you open the door, either throw a grenade and go, or rush inside as fast as you can seeking immediate cover. Have everyone enter the room at once so that you have a better chance at surviving if multiple people are inside. Make sure to make use of the ability to shoot through walls, as it will come in handy for people who camp in hard to see places.

If you are cornered into a room, seek a good position to cover the entrance from, and try to create a barricade of some sort if objects are moved. More than likely, the barricades wont do much to stop bullets, but they can seriously slow people down.

Teamwork is essential to this map.

Special thanks:

Twinkie Master - For his attempt of a street sign and specular map for the cars.
      MXTHE - Testing
      Wolfer - Testing
      Urban Assault Server ( - Testing
      Krackhouse Server ( - Testing
      Mad Seumas CS ( - Testing
      Everyone at the Steam Powered forums
      Everyone who helped at HL2World
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Bumping this up because I think it needs to be looked at a bit more by the community. It is most definitelly worth our time to discuss this and/or test it on the server.
        You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
        We are not a single game.
        We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
        We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

I intend to have us play it next time I'm on.. You guys can do it yourself in the meantime.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

many routes to the bombsite...
            90 second bomb timer...
            teamwork stressed by mapper...

sounds promising

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed