DE_Abbaye_Premium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE_Abbaye_Premium

This is a good PCS map worthy of rotation. CTs can get to sites first. Many routes to take. Hours of fun for all nerds!!

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
    - Wulfyn

Re: DE_Abbaye_Premium

I somewhat agree. Although it has some framerate stability issues for us lower-end users, it has enough diversity to spark interest for tactical gamers. On the other hand, I'm not so sure being able to close a door on a bombsite, forcing CT's to make long trips to other entry points in a matter of 45 seconds, is necessarily realistic. I maybe wrong because there ARE plenty of spots to enter bombsites. Any opinions?

Comment

Where can I check this out at...any screenshots or overhead pics?
      "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Originally posted by whistler's mother View Post
        It has some framerate stability issues for us lower-end users, it has enough diversity to spark interest for tactical gamers. On the other hand, I'm not so sure being able to close a door on a bombsite, forcing CT's to make long trips to other entry points in a matter of 45 seconds, is necessarily realistic. I maybe wrong because there ARE plenty of spots to enter bombsites. Any opinions?
        We played this map last night with a nearly full server. Mostly regular players.

Final Score:
        Ts 9
        Cts 8

Simply put, i've never had more fun on a map. The CTs were able to hold ground INCREDIBLY well. I played on the T side and was enjoyably frustrated at how difficult it was to penetrate bombsites. A good portion of the planning time was us looking at each other going "well... we get killed if we go that way... we get killed if we go that way... how the heck are we going to do this??"

The team that wins on Abbaye will be the team that communicates, not the team that can shoot better.

As far as the doors closing... well.. there were buttons, but the majority of them didn't seem to do anything. There was one round where the defending CTs moved their way up a hall (under heavy fire from the Ts) to slam a button that closed that approach door. It was awesome. For me the whole map was full of little moments where I thought "wow... in my CS:S expereince nothing like that has ever happened before. Rock."

I have a very old rig, and I didn't notice any FPS issues. I do have some bells and whistles turned down though (because well, I know I have an old rig....)

I'd like to hear from some of the other guys who were playing this last night. It seemed to me like everyone was really enjoying themselves.

-Aaron

Oh and for those interested in my proposed change to the rotation Here you go. This also includes quick links to download the maps, and mini reviews. Dirtboy, this uncludes Abbaye.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtboy View Post
          Where can I check this out at...any screenshots or overhead pics?
          FPSBanana

Comment

Are you talking about the door in the covered bridge? If so, it's not that big of a deal, it's pretty close to T spawn so I don't know how wise it would be to extend CTs that far to go close it anyway. And even if it did get closed there are many other ways to go around it, under it, and over it. If we stick to PCS play and remain near the bomb sites it shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, and don't jump out the window at CT spawn :)

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
            "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
            - Wulfyn

Comment

Originally posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
              Are you talking about the door in the covered bridge? If so, it's not that big of a deal, it's pretty close to T spawn
              Yeah... I edited my post to talk about that... the one round the CT's managed to move their way up that bridge and hit the door was fantastic. The terrorists can get to that hallway almost instantly. So if the CTs want to cut off that entrance, they are going to have to do some fancy bullet dodging to get that satisfaction.

-Aaron

Comment

Love this map, but noticed some of the god ol' "hey, I can see someone's shadow in the room above me" error. Namely, was playing with Pyro on the other team. He had taked attic route to the rooftops and had jumped to the balcony. I noticed his shadow on the rafters above me so I moved to intercept. Shouldn't of been able to see his shadows though.

But I do love this map anyway.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

Originally posted by nulloperations View Post
                  "hey, I can see someone's shadow in the room above me"
                  As a novice map-maker, I can tell you that there isn't a whole lot you can do about this. Shadows are generated dynamicly and if a brush (the term for all geometry in game) is too thin a shadow will be cast on the opposite side. I have yet to figure out a solution other than to make thick brushes (which doesn't make for an interesting map.)

Perhaps Vulcan can chime in.

-Aaron

Comment

Just a tip schwa, there is a no dynamic shadow entity in hammer that can eliminate this effect, if i remember it doesn't work for the sun light source though.

Either way this problem is apparent in a lot of custom maps.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                      Just a tip schwa, there is a no dynamic shadow entity in hammer that can eliminate this effect, if i remember it doesn't work for the sun light source though.

Either way this problem is apparent in a lot of custom maps.
                      Thanks. Do you mean to apply the texture "toolsblocklight" to a brush and place it where you don't want shadows? I didn't know that texture blocked dynamic shadows, does it? Or should I be using a different texture?

Or do you mean to create a brush, than tie it to the entity "no dynamic shadows"? I havn't been able to find that entity.

-Aaron

Comment

It is here. This entity can have brush faces applied as it's target to remove dynamic shadows.

- -

Comment

de_abbaye_premium

This is a stellar map, but the server download is broken when it gets put on. In case you don't have it already, I have uploaded it to my TG webspace and it can be found here: Link. Make sure you extract it to your counter-strike source/cstrike/maps/ folder

Try to get this because I will be putting it on from time to time. Those who don't check the forums will be out of luck, I guess. But this map is too good not to play in a tactical environment.

Comment

bump and merging whistlers thread.

I had removed this map due to it's constant problems on the server with either lag or shadows.

- -

Comment

Any chance we could revisit this map on our server?

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/15567

It's a great tactical map. We do have other maps with shadow problems.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/11925

Here's another version. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, but we are missing out on some awesome gameplay that this map offers.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X