cs_arcticstorm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cs_arcticstorm

This thread is for the discussion of cs_arcticstorm.

I actually kinda like this map, really only two things that stick out.

A) Takes forever to play cuz the hostages are morons who cant negotiate a simple staircase.

B) Well I kinda knocked em both out in the first one :madsmile:

I still have yet to play as a CT but even though we had a tiny advantage, it was still intense.. It's very CQB oriented by the hostages for both sides, but CTs have a HUGE amount of space all to themselves lol

Thoughts ?
    Dizlor

Re: cs_arcticstorm

Well, I played this map today on Ts, and it was quite fun. I noticed that the CTs have three ways to get to the Terrorist's "territory" (elevators, sewer, and garage), and usually maps that are this large will have more routes to take, so I'm wondering how this will affect the strategies. We really haven't played this map enough to have any fully developed strategies for it yet though. I look forward to playing it more.
    - Drake_Anra

Comment

Good map, CQB extreme. It is T weighted but not enough for me to really complain about.
      I feel that with flashes and cover, the CT's can save the day but I am not certain i will ever see both sets of hosties rescued.

All I ask for is communication

Comment

When we played last night, there was not too many issues getting the hosties with some well placed flashbangs. The issue comes in like Ben said, there is a ways to go getting them back to the rescue zone when they are not the smartest.
        Great looking map overall.
        "The chief foundations of all states, new as well as old or composite, are good laws and good arms; and as there cannot be good laws where the state is not well armed, it follows that where they are well armed they have good laws." -Machiavelli

Comment

I notice that if you just let the hostages try and try while you sit and watch without bothering them, they will eventually make their way to you. I notice more problems when you try to impeed on their stupid yet productive advancing.

great map this one is.

- -

Comment

It just dawned on me that editing the .nav file is something anyone can do at anytime. All this complaining about bad hostage AI is something any of us could fix at any time...

Here's a tutorial on editing the .nav file. It is pretty easy if you know what you want to fix.

The hard part from a map-makers perspective is anticipating what players will do when they have the hostages. As a community, we have the opportunity to know what we are going to do, and adjust the AI accordingly.

So put on your Beta-Tester hats and start identifying those problems. And if you are really feeling bold, try your hand at editing the .nav. You'll find it easier than you think.

-Aaron

Comment

In addition, there is this guy who has dedicated himself to making awesome .nav files for custom maps. Perhaps a kind letter from the management could inspire him to work on a map of our choice. (He has allready done Kismayo... hint hint...)

...and this guy seems to have a lot more CS:S nav files for stock maps, including a few that get regular play on our server. (such as cs_Italy_Reloaded_Final, allthough i've never seen an attempted hostage rescue on that map)

-Aaron

Comment

This is a pretty big map. I think with the server full it would be a lot of fun. With a full T squad you can almost have 1 or 2 T's push forward and watch the entrances to report back to the others in which direction the CTs are coming. If not then just a lot of running room for CTs....

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I find that the best strategy as a T for garage, and to a lesser extent sewers, is to move to a forward position, and then, as the CTs approach, fire off a few rounds and retreat to a closer position. When guarding sewers, you can only do this once (you might be able do it twice, but I think the door might slow your second retreat if you tried), but when guarding the garage, you can shoot and retreat 3 times, which gives plenty of time to inform your teammates of where the enemy is coming from, and possibly how many there are. The most important thing if you use this strategy is don't stay at these forward positions, even if you think you can handle it; one flash in these close quarters and you are dead.
                  - Drake_Anra

Comment

Wow, I just played this map tonight for the first time, and I was impressed. Granted, the hostage problems didn't affect me, since I played only as a Terrorist, but it looked great and seems well-planned. I was a little bit skeptical about the one hostage room with only one entrance, but someone threw a flash bang in there and my doubts were obliterated with my body by a shotgun.
                    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Usually as PCS play would encourage is for T's to guard the hostages. What kind of adds to the boredom factor (at least for the CTs), is stomping all the way into the final sublevel to get into a huge confrontation at the end (like cs_secretlab).

I think we should consider a bit of an exception for this map and allow the T's to push away from the H area to try to ambush CTs at various points of the small number of paths they can take to get to the hostage holding area. As long as they have the numbers to do this and don't go through CT spawn area outside, it should be a fun improvement for this very linear map.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                      "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                      - Wulfyn

Comment

I don't know about you, but I've already been doing that to an extent (see my post above). There are only 3 ways in (unless you go too far), so if all of those entrances are well covered, they people covering them can be certain that no enemies will be sneaking up behind them. Obviously, this gaurding in advanced positions only works if you have a large number of players on the server. There are a few things that should be done if you are going to use this strategy, and they are fairly obvious, but I will list them anyways. First of all, as I mentioned in my previous post, when you are in an advanced position and see an enemy, fall back, and give the rest of your team time to reinforce or alter their position accordingly. Second, in an advanced position, you are a scout, and your comms are more important than your gun. Firing off a few shots as you retreat is fine, as long as you inform your team of where the enemy is as well. Third, watch the deaths, and if all of your teammates in one position die, fall back to the hosties immediately, because you will be attacked from behind if you don't. Fourth, don't take advanced positions every round, because they will expect this, and your value as a scout goes almost to nil if they kill you before you can report, even if you get one of them in the process.
                        - Drake_Anra

Comment

Sloppy> I agree with the sentiment and agree that would make the map more exciting. However, as a pub map, I do not think it is a good idea to allow exceptions to the rules, ever.

As Nhammen said, the T's do have a large area to wander if they stay on the bottom level. There only three entrances, all of which are narrow deathtraps. Opening up the upper levels for the T's completely removes the critical staging areas for a CT assault.

-Aaron

Comment

Before they updates were applied, i really enjoyed the map. But now, I ALWAYS crash in articstorm. I don't know why, but I could play it fine before. I have heard of other problems, but it kinda puts a damper on the server.

Is anyone else experiencing this also?

Comment

most likely because of your config disposable. There aren't any issues with the map and many people have played it.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X