Anyone have any tips for a sniper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone have any tips for a sniper?

Get a hole reinforcement (for three ring binder thingies) and place that on the screen where you're crosshairs should be. Mayne cut it down a little or use another substitute, anything would work. Perhaps a small dot of scotch tape would be best. Than you can still see through it and if you need to shoot without a scope you still have the aiming point...

Never tried it but I did just think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
      For long range sniping, the AUG is FAR superiour. For assault, the SIG. It therefor depends on your sitaution.
      I will always choose a Sigg/Kreig over an AUG. It comes down to personal choice and playstyle though.

Tactically, later in a round you should usually ditch your sniper rifle in favour of any of the four standard rifles. If you don't know where the enemy are coming from and don't have team mates left alive with short range weapons, you are at a big tactical disadvantage.

You can strafe and scout, but it is harder. Against another good scouter, never stand still. Against someone without a rifle or deagle, it is usually better to pause briefly and get a headshot or at least a certain body shot.

I find there are two ways to use a scout:

1) Crouch stationary in a good spot and double zoom on the very edge of a doorway. As soon as anything moves, fire. You will see them before they see you.

Downsides are that you are only covering a very small area and must rely on team mates to cover other routes and the otherside of the doorway you are covering.

This is best for to use before the first contact has been made, when your position is unknown.

2) Walk-strafe constantly and cover a whole doorway (both sides). As soon as you see an enemy, try and hit him, but the stop walking and strafe out of view ASAP. From then on keep popping your head round and taking pot shots. This method is less acurate and therefore more volnerable to being rushed, but safer in terms of getting counter-sniped. Best for when the enemy already know your position.

Lastly, scouting gets easier the better you get as you will get rushed far less if you can take down the enemy quickly with just a few shots. Once someone has succeeded in rushing you (getting up close) only luck, teammates or awsome deagle skills will save you.
      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Yea, I have tried that scotch tape thing before and it worked good for the maps like scout knives. thanks for the post it brings up good memories :)

Comment

The AUG is extremely accurate at long range, even with rapid fire. It's a solid weapon to use at close range too.

The krieg is almost the perfect sniper / assault hybrid. Not as accurate as the AUG at range, the ability to unzoom and use for CQB makes it an excellent wepaon to use instead of scout or AWP.

Root
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Toshido
            Get a hole reinforcement (for three ring binder thingies) and place that on the screen where you're crosshairs should be. Mayne cut it down a little or use another substitute, anything would work. Perhaps a small dot of scotch tape would be best. Than you can still see through it and if you need to shoot without a scope you still have the aiming point...

Never tried it but I did just think of it.
            This is well known as the "Magic Marker" hack because most people use a magic marker for this. I would not recommend using a magic marker on anything other than a CRT.

Ne ways, as far as I've ever heard, this is not allowed on TG servers. It's a very good tool for learning how to spot the middle of the screen though, so I used to use it on the scoutknives servers. After a while, you don't need it anymore.

Scoutknives servers only allow scouts and knives. If you want to get good with a scout, practice there.

Originally posted by Wintermute
            2) Walk-strafe constantly and cover a whole doorway (both sides). As soon as you see an enemy, try and hit him, but the stop walking and strafe out of view ASAP. From then on keep popping your head round and taking pot shots. This method is less acurate and therefore more volnerable to being rushed, but safer in terms of getting counter-sniped. Best for when the enemy already know your position.
            Actually, the enemy should never know where you are if you're sniping. If you know your position has been compromised, move. Nothing takes the enemy by surprise more than getting shot in the back of the head while they're watching for you to poke your head out of where they think you are. Of course, if you know you're a superior shot to the enemy thats left, or you have a lot of range between you, it might be OK to stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by Root
              Strafing is ok. It's the running around whilst bouncing like tigger that isn't acceptable (with any gun).

Root
              LMAO!!!!! wooohoooohoooo hoooooo (Gets headshot with scout) TTFN! *Bounces off*

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonwolf72
                LMAO!!!!! wooohoooohoooo hoooooo (Gets headshot with scout) TTFN! *Bounces off*
                Explodes on a landmine.

I can actually picture that whole sequence of events.

Root
                BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                  The AUG is extremely accurate at long range, even with rapid fire. It's a solid weapon to use at close range too.

The krieg is almost the perfect sniper / assault hybrid. Not as accurate as the AUG at range, the ability to unzoom and use for CQB makes it an excellent wepaon to use instead of scout or AWP.

Root

I agree with the krieg comment, BUT I love the M4 for general use. I know, no zoom(which would be awesome), but still the best balanced gun in the game IMO.

Comment

Actually the M4 isn't a bad weapon for sniping with either, even without a scope.

Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

The advantage of a suppressor also makes it more difficult for people to know where the bullets are coming from (less noise, no muzzle flash).

Comment

Personally I like the AK to snipe with, just because it doesnt seem to be as "peppy" as the M4. :icon35:
                        |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

Yea, I use the M4 alot and i love it, but i have never tried sniping with it or the Ak for that matter. Well I take that back i guess when i see those AFKers i like to have my fun by shooting them a mile away, but other than that I havent just aimed for head shots with and M4. I hope thats what you guys mean when you say sniping with it?

Comment

To be rather blunt, the scout is the best gun in the game. Using it you just cant go wrong. Since the desert eagle is likewise the second best gun in the game, kit out right and you should be next to unstoppable.

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
                              To be rather blunt, the scout is the best gun in the game. Using it you just cant go wrong. Since the desert eagle is likewise the second best gun in the game, kit out right and you should be next to unstoppable.
                              I've seen this mentality cost a team the objective more times than I can remember. As long as there are players who keep on scouting even in CQB, teams will be completely let down.

You can snipe with a 228. The same goes (to an extent) for the five seven. Sniping with SMG's is possible but extremely hard. The AK and M4 are suitable, but the AK does require single round bursts to do so. The M4 can handle 3 round burst. Granted "proper" sniping is done in single shots, but here we tend to use the word sniping to mean kills at long range. The krieg and aug have already been discussed. All of these weapons can also be used up close and personal. The scout can't. We've all (yes even me) got lucky unscoped kills with a scout at short range. To suggest that a scout / deagle combo is next to unstoppable is nonsense, although I will give you credit for using the phrase "next to" rather than "totally".

If you insist on sniping with a scout, please support your team by dumping it when you get to close quarters, and picking up a suitable weapon - you're more likely to help your *team* complete its *objective* then.

Root
                              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

When writing that I was mainly thinking of ts on a map like Italy. Hence the whole "kit out right" comment.

And sniping sucks at cq so pull your deagle, the aformentioend second best weapon. If you get the objective flowing, pull the scout back out and defend it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X