Anyone have any tips for a sniper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone have any tips for a sniper?

Have a mouse sensitivity bind. For example, if you have a 4 button scroll mouse, dedicate 2 side buttons to sensitivity.

One would be 12.5, the other would be 2.

Thus you can swithc to low sensitivity at long range, while changing back to higher when assaulting.
    Power may grow from the barrel of a gun, but control....... stems from the 1st and the 15th.

Comment

As Uchiha said, shrink your crosshairs. It doesn't affect sniping whatsoever, but it improves your aiming many times over.
      In console, type: cl_crosshairscale 2000
      This makes your crosshairs rather small, but here is the bonus: You get that crosshair on somebody, you WILL hit them if you are standing still. It increases accuracy, as there is so little crosshair that if those lines touch them, you will most likely hit them. Personally, I run on a 2250 crosshairscale, but that's me. Whatever your preference.

Anyway, back to sniping.

Scout is better. The AWP costs a ridiculous amount, you will hit NOTHING if you move at all while trying to shoot, everyone hates you for it, and it is banned. Of course, I like to use the awp when I can, but you don't get that great satisfaction for killing someone as you do with the scout.
      The scout gives you an amazing speed to run around (the AWP makes you slow as hell). It also reloads quickly, shoots faster, and is all-around a faster gun.

Now for tips.
      1) Carefully set your mouse sensativity. Keep it at something that's comfortable and you can aim with, yet high enough so you can look around quickly. Personally, I often scan the areas about me often.
      2) Know your terrain. Know where enemies come from, the typical spots they will be, and also ideal spots you can snipe from. You do not usually see a sniper standing in the middle of nowhere, wide open, and live long at all.
      3) Don't double-zoom, unless your target is really far away (i.e. cs_harvest). It decreases the amount of surrounding area you can see, which is vital in spotting other other potential dangers.
      4) Communicate with your team. While a lone sniper is helpful and may take out any threats, they are more of a "scouter" ( ;-) ), and are invaluable in locating targets.
      5) Don't move and shoot like an idiot, unless you're in point-blank range. It's pointless.
      6) When zoomed in with my sniper, instead of clicking zoom enough times to revert back to normal vision, I prefer a fast-switch to my knife/sidearm. The sidearm is typically ideal if you need stealth, cause the knife makes that indicative noise. The knife, though, is good for fast movement (and I love to hear that knife-draw sound).
      7) Turn on fast-switch for weapons. That way you can accomplish the above easier, and don't have to deal with the typical hastle of changing weapons.
      8) Strafe and shoot is invaluable to the sniper. You must be quick to aim with this, but here is the quicky on how it works.
      Step to where you can see where you suspect your enemies to be, but strafe back to cover as quick as you can. This should give you an idea as to where they are hiding. Step out again, this time in single zoom, and locate one of the spots you saw and shoot. As soon as the shot is fired, seek cover again. You can repeat this quickly, and may be rather surprised by the results.
      9) Corners. They are deadly. When crouched beside a corner, your knee pops out before the rest of you, giving away your position (useful against others, dangerous against you). Do not crouch around a corner. The same goes for walking... unless you must maintain absolute silence, break the walk and take a quick step around the corner for a peek. If enemies are there, they won't see you creep out part-by-part, and instead hopefully surprised by the quick movement.
      10) Aiming. With the scout, it's best to aim (in this order): chin, upper chest, head, lower chest. The scout has a tendency to fire slightly above the crosshair.
      11) Pack a set of grenades. A HE is useful for blowing away hiding people that you can't see. Smokes are good for blocking enemy vision, creating a hiding spot for you (I do not recommend hiding in smoke), or a get-away. Flashes can blind enemies so you can peek around corners, or (thrown at your feet or above you), will prove an effecient way to escape.
      12) Don't be an idiot, and keep your sidearm handy.
      13) Use cover to your best advantage. Whether it be ducking, poking around corners, or typical concealment... it is your best friend.
      14) Know what can be shot through, and what cannot. An invaluable tool.
      15) Don't be a moron and lead rushes. Don't run off to where you are no help whatsoever to your team. If you do this, COMMUNICATE... or I might have to knife your arse.
      16) Teh knife. The most satisfying part of the game. Use it, abuse it, love it.
      17) Repetition. Do not hide in the same place every time. Know the enemies' usual places, and if they repeat their hiding places, pop a cap in their ass.
      18) Omfg scorz monger! You're not out for kills, you're out to help your team. Indicate enemy positions, whether a place is clear or not, clear an area for your team, etc.
      19) Don't be Rambo. You're a sniper. Not Rambo. You can't even take off your shirt, or wear a bandana.
      20) Teamwork. Teamwork! TEAMWORK! If you don't work with your team... leave.

That's all for now. If you want some more tips, give a holler.

Comment

Originally posted by AzzMan
        To be rather blunt, the scout is the best gun in the game. Using it you just cant go wrong. Since the desert eagle is likewise the second best gun in the game, kit out right and you should be next to unstoppable.
        I heartily agree that the scout is the best gun in the game. If any of you have played with me, you'll notice I've probably used it in every terrain under whatever circumstances. I like to think I'm not half-bat, either.

I hate the deagle. Too slow in firing, weird accuracy, expensive... CTs -START OFF- with a usp. Fast-firing action for 12 shots, with a quick reload. Toss in $100, and you got yourself 112 shots. Plenty for any sidearm.

Comment

Statistically the deagle is a terrible gun, but in counterstrike they basically made it a one handed, sidearm scout.

It doesn't nessicarily suit everyone's preferences, and that's why there are other guns. I for one love the Glock.

Comment

I for one love the Glock.
            That would be my last choice of all the pisotols. The only thing good about it is the 3 burst fire and no recoil. BTW, whats the difference between the Glock, and the 5-7? They carry the same bullets, same amount of ammo and both pretty take 2 headshots to kill someone.
            |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

Originally posted by SkidMark
              That would be my last choice of all the pisotols. The only thing good about it is the 3 burst fire and no recoil. BTW, whats the difference between the Glock, and the 5-7? They carry the same bullets, same amount of ammo and both pretty take 2 headshots to kill someone.
              Entirly wrong. The FN Herstal Five-seveN takes 5.7mm bullets, the same as the FN Herstal P90. The 5.7mm penetrates directly through armor, that's it's entire catch.

The Glock 18 fires 9mm rounds, and while both do have the same ammount of room in a magazine, the Glock will take more rounds to kill someone, especially if that person has armor.

In and out of CSS.

Comment

Guess you learn something new everyday eh? But the best pistol in the game has to be the USP hands down. Only reason I say this is because it reloads quick and its supressed. Great with the scout because the scout isnt all that loud either.

Comment

It's silent. So is the M4 when the suppresor is attached.

Both make noise, there's really no silent weapon. IF someone knows of one feel free to point it out, PLEASE.

Comment

I dont get your post Azz.... You say its silent, then you say there is no silent weapon.

Comment

that's because azz talks to much and he really doesn't make any sense most of the time!

- -

Comment

While he could sometimes be accused of talking out of his azz, the man speaks the truth. No silenced firearm is silent. In addition to the noise empty cases make as they hit the ground, there is a very low amount of noise made as rounds exit the muzzle.

They're refered to as silenced weapons because you can't hear them at any sort of distance. The same applies to some UNSILENCED sub-machine guns, where you can hear *a* noise, but not something that sounds like gunfire.

Oh and at close range, a 3 round burst from a glock = dead target.

Root
                        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

My post would've made plenty of sense, I just couldn't have worded it worse.

Comment

To be rather blunt, the scout is the best gun in the game. Using it you just cant go wrong. Since the desert eagle is likewise the second best gun in the game, kit out right and you should be next to unstoppable.
                            Although I think I'm decent with the scout, Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on this. Okay? The pump shottie(aka NubStik) is the best weapon in the game. The deagle is the second best, you have to be accurate to use it properly though. Use the shottie for CQB and pull the dealge for long range shots or if you run out of ammo in a close fire fight. One huge advantage I think the shottie has is that even if you're out of ammo, it can fire almost as fast as the scout while you're pumping shells into it.
                            Last edited by Buck Fush; 08-08-2005, 06:03 PM.

Comment

And in that instance you basically have unlimited ammo...

Comment

The reason the scout is better than the M3 is because the scout makes you move faster than even a knife, and for the same reason the deagle is amazing- super strong unless you have no accuracy!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                                X