Advance by leapfrog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advance by leapfrog

For those of you who would like to make it to the objective with your team mostly intact, this is a good tactic to learn. I've lost track of the number of times I've tried to get my team to use it. I've had staggering success with it on the rare occasion my team have listened, and tried to grasp a tactic which for most, was something totally new.

I normally use no more than 3 team mates plus myself for this, as the more people involved, the more complex it gets. Communication is the key as always. The team members involved in the advance need to know before starting, the order in which that part of the team (referred to here as the squad) is to move.

It helps if you use this tactic regularly with the same squad, as you get to understand what each of you regards as good cover. That said, I recently taught this method to a squad who were mostly unfamiliar with it, whilst on a new map, and the effect was devestating as far as we used it.

Simply give each player a number 1-4. First man advances towards the objective until he reaches the first usable bit of cover or concealment (there is a *huge* difference between the two). Second man then advances past the first man to the next available cover. Third man advances past both, followed by the fourth man. Your deployment should then look something like this

Any member of the squad who is not actually moving forwards should be aiming their weapon at the most likely places the enemy is likely to appear, and listening to voice comms for the order for them to move up. Also, when someone is going to advance past you, stand up so that you have a clear LOF while they move under your weapon. I normally take position 1, as it affords me most time to manage the squad. When the above deployment is achieved, depending on distance to objective, and available cover, the sequence is repeated. The next move should result in

And so on, until the objective is reached, or until the terrain becomes such that a different method of movement (eg room clearance with flashbangs) becomes necessary. Whoever is in position 1 should be calling the advance on voice comms.

I usually end up using this tactic as a T on bomb maps, so the remaining 3 members of my team (including the bomber) are usually tasked to give long range fire support behind the advancing squad, or are left behind until the advancing squad secures the bombsite, or are sent on an alternate route (a properly advancing squad presents a hard target and will have the other team calling for backup).

Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: Advance by leapfrog

I like the leapfrog tactic and it is employed real world by probably every army. I will add one thing to Roots advice, and I want to have it open for discussion.
    Once the squad moves up to within 20 or so meters from the current enemy position, the squad needs to get in a line side by side (with space between each squad member) and prepare for the final attack on the current enemy position. This final attack needs to be coordinated with the squad prior to the attack, even on a small scale. For instance, once you as the leader feel as if you have reached a point in your leapfrogging where you are close to a point where you expect an enemy to be, you should tell the team quickly who is going to go where, left or right, to secure this current position. You should either throw a frag or even more useful throw a flash or 2, then move in for the attack, being very aggressive, firing when you turn a corner or when you get to crates. Then if no enemy is there or if you killed an enemy, you can plan your next advance to your next target area, either by leapfrog or by other tactics. From my experience leapfrogging with Root or with anyone, it seems that we do well untill the time comes to attack your most innediate target. we seem to get chewed alive when we "turn the corner" or come to the area where we were suspicious of enemy activity.
    Hope you could follow my examples,
    |TG| Ben

All I ask for is communication

Comment

Yes,Yes, Yes. Bounding overwatch should be used whenever enemy contact is expected. Which is all the time in BF2. Cover me while I move.

We should be aware of the proper techniques for crossing danger areas [Roads, clearing] as well. If memory serves, we called it "tabbing". First person overwatches, while second secures far side. Then the squad rotates though those positions until it is across.

We can't just hail mary into the objective and expect to survive. We wouldn't do that in real life. In order to conduct a raid or attack you have to have intelligence pertaining to the enemy situation on the objective. Once you have intelligence (UAV, Spotting), then you formulate a plan to provide a support by fire position and an assault. When I've been in squads that adhere to even a few of the traditional small unit tactics, we've had a lot of fun and success.

Once on the objective we have to consolidate and reorganize (pass out ammo and medicine). Then we prepare to defend until we get new orders. Thus, the SL should assign teams (weapon systems) to the appropriate avenues of advance. Saying "defend here" is not enough if we want to truly be combat effective. We need to discuss what the counter attack might consist of and prepare best we can. 360 degree security is always a good idea.

There is a time and place for just about everything, but charging into an objective with no intelligence, no artillery or air support, and no support by fire should be avoided when possible.

I'm having a blast in this community. At least we can discuss things like this. It would be a waste of time on the pubs.

Comment

Ben was on my team on toxin when we tried this. And the comment about the final assault - spot on. That's where we lost it, but I honestly put this down to trying to teach a new method to a whole team, in a fast paced game list CS. With enough rounds, and the attitude of the players on the team at the time, we would have achieved the full effect in another 5 rounds I believe.

Sabre Six - thanks for your valuable contribution. Will we be seeing you on the CS servers? It's a shame that generally, we know what the counter attack will consist of in CS. It will consist of the entire other team coming from one direction, with a whole bunch of fragmonkeys :(

Perhaps with some players putting thought into their game, we can have some tactics discussions that push CS as far as it can go.

Root
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Now that I've found such a good place to be and great folks to be with, I'm going to have to check out the rest of the games we are playing. I will look into CS, Root.

Correction to earlier post, not "tabbing" (sorry it was late), we called it "scroll to the road". When in the overwatch position each soldier is suppossed to keep his badge arm to the road, that way both directions are covered and you never have to think about which way you should be looking. Scroll is a term for the Ranger Battalion Unit insignia.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X