Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tactics

One thing I would certainly agree on is that many players are way too quick to engage the enemy unnecessarily. I am guilty of this, and I see it all the time while playing. Often the better strategy would be to let the enemy see you for a second and then fall back, then to lead the enemy into your teammates LOS. I wish I had a diagram to better explain.

Ill use front door on militia. You are guarding front door on the left side, threel CT's come through the door FB's going off. You know you have two teammates in the living room, one under the stairs, one on the stairs. Rather than engage those CT's, fall back to living room and draw them to you. All of a sudden the CT's, who thought they had an easy kill with three of them against one T, are now facing even odds, with two of the enemy entrenched and using cover. Congratulations, you have just created an ambush and most likely taken out 3 of the enemy, with the lone T casualty being the initial door guard as he would take the brunt of the CT assault.

I get annoyed seeing one teammate engage several enemy. The only way I can explain it is that we all think we are much better at CSS then we really are.

Comment

You want a tactic? Try not thunderbooting around constantly!

Fer crissakes people, can you stay still for more than two seconds????
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Totally agree bloodbane. That little move is called bait and switch. Deadly and effective against aggressive opponents.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
        "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
        - Wulfyn

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality

That drives me insane. Insane I say! I will and do walk all over the map when I need to move, and often end up camping a single spot for the entire map (if I'm on defense, of course :P ). Something as small as knocking something on the ground can give away your position. :)

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality

Walking instead of running, and remaining still (especially when defending) are 2 behaviours exhibited by PCS players. Thunderbooting is generally a behaviour exhibited by fragmonkeys.

There is a time and place for everything, including PCS plays to engage their thunderboots. However, if a player is walking, none of their team mates should be making noise. I have (and will continue to) slayed players for running when I see other players making no noise. If you see a team mate trying to move silently, support them. If you think they're being overly cautious based on their location, debate the wisdom of using such a tactic in the forum. Don't stiff your team mate by deciding you know better and blowing their position with noise.

Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Poe I know exactly what you are saying, I rely so much on sound when I am defending a position. The clink of a ladder, or a footfall on a tile floor can be the deciding factor. If my teammates decide to shoot randomly, run around, wreck furniture etc. it completely disrupts my game. I think some people drink too much Mountain Dew while playing.

Comment

Nice to see everyone responding on the thread. I've been wanting to get the Tactics forum's going.

Anywho, on the topic of who should engage who. If two CTs are entering a room and run into two Ts, the CT infront should pick a target (usually the one closest), using their best jugement, then step either left or right correlating with the T being engaged. The follower should go in the opposite direction to take out the other T. I say step in the same direction as the T because otherwise the leader could end up getting TKed in the cross fire comming from the follower.

In close combat situations I believe this is the best approach to avoid being slaughtered.

How many of you have sat somewhere listening to footsteps waiting for the enemy to come around the corner and when he does you blow the sob away... but then... you get slayed because the person you just killed was no enemy at all, it was a teammate. I see that happen all the time (except for the slay part). And I'm sure pretty much all of you have been there. Well here's a tip to avoid that from happening any more: WATCH YOUR RADAD! If you ever hear thuderboots and arn't sure whether it's a friend or foe glance up at your radar, if you don't see a teammate running around then you can rest assured that it's an enemy. -- I know that didn't relate to how you guys were talking about thunderboots but I just thought I'd throw that in anyways.

Comment

Unfortunatly the radar is very limited in CS. Along with many others, it is a fundamental problem with the game that many map makers dont take into consideration when creating a map. With no zoom level for the radar like in other tactical games, the radar becomes almost useless especially at the beginning of the round when it is so cluttered. Lets use Militia again, this map was clearly not designed with the radar in mind. You have 8 guys crammed into a small area 3 layers deep, add 4 hostage blips and no way to zoom your radar in and what you get is a indecipherable mess of blips and arrows on your radar.

To alleviate this problem I have formulated a strategy for myself. When defending, I get an ID check on each person covering my flanks then watch the obituaries top right to find out wether my flank is exposed. It helps when your teammates call out "im covering upstairs" or "im covering front door"
                  Remember who said what and you can easily tell where the enemy is coming from. The obituaries give so much information away if you know how to use them. They are sometimes more usefull than sound or radar, especially on multi-layered maps. I am surprised they even allow them in tournaments because sometimes it feels like cheating.

None of this works of course if you have frag-monkey, impatient teammates. If I ID check and Bob is covering the back door but he gets bored after 30 seconds and decides to run up to the roof to try and get some action, now I have an exposed flank that I am unaware of. One more reason to pick a spot and stay there. That is why TG servers are great, the players here dont do that sort of thing very often, everyone seems to be trying to achieve the goals and play as a team.

Oh, and personally, I love the guy who comes running in full speed through the back door (where the enemy is supposed to be coming from) and gets pegged with FF for 20 damage. He has the nerve to yell "CHECK YOUR RADAR!!" at me but um.... I did and do constantly. It precisely showed a big light blue blob of my entire team in the same spot. No zoom level, not my fault, I didnt design the game. Try voice com or at least turn on your flashlight.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X