Hostages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hostages

Alright. I've asked this question sparingly on the server and goten numerous answers. I've goten kicked once before for doing it the way I saw fit. I'm sure others wonder this too.

Which is the more tactical approach to securing the hostages? For instance on cs_italy, as most know, there are two sets of hostages. One on the bottom floor and one on the top. You're a CT and you just made it into the house. Do you grab the bottom floor hostages and make a run knowing that a Terrorist most likely heard you and is coming down the stairs or jumping out the window to gun you down? Or do you sneak up the stairs and secure the top floor also?

In my opinion, it's best to secure both floors before making a dash with the hostages. My reason is, if I grab the hostages, the say "Let's go" or some other words, alerting the terrorists upstairs. Most terrorists would go to the window and try to catch me running down the long hair or middle stairs or even apartments. Since all escape routes are more or less straight, instead of winding, there's not much cover, leaving you open for a sharp shooting terrorist to place a bullet in the back of your head. If you secure both floors, there are no terrorists in the house to snipe you down.

The downside to this is that you can die trying to secure the second floor leaving all the hostages to die in the hands of those ruthless terrorists.

Also consider on cs_office that the hostages are more seperated. Would grabbing one set of hostages and running back be the best idea? In this case, I would say yes.

A lot of this can be dependent on the situation at hand, but for the general idea, which is better?

Re: Hostages

I'd say this topic is very situational.

I'm typically the one to attempt to snag the hostages, and get my teammates to support me as best as they can so that I can get out of there with the hostages. If I'm alone... there's a 75% chance I'll flash out the front, smoke, and run like hell to the hostage rescue zone. And weave. That way the hostages weave too, and your opponent won't be given the sweet taste of a clear, safe shot.

For maps like italy, I'll usually take out just the first two hostages if I can reach them. Better to get at least a couple hostages than a higher risk of death and end up with nothing.

That's poe's thoughts though.

Comment

Conventional wisdom among this group is that you get the back hostages out first on office, then reposition the team to take the conference room.

On italy I generally find that if you can make it into the house, it's poorly defended (if at all), and that T's rarely notice anyone slipping in. Tag all 4 and back out the front door, down LH to market and then spawn.

Root
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

In my opinion on italy, you should never ever have to rescue the hostages. Either all the CTs should die trying to rescue the hostages or the Ts should die trying to keep them. The Ts have such an advantage over chokepoints on this map that they should win every round. If the CTs have even touched a hostage, there was a gaping whole in the Ts plan. Remember this is my opinion, not a state of fact.
        |CS:S Development Team|

Comment

Catcher if your talking about the situation when it's during the after math of a firefight and there are only 1 of each, I strongly recommend avoiding contact to get the 2 hostages out. It's hard but it can be achieved. You have to try to get them to commit one way or the other on Italy. If the T Drops down, which you can hear, be ready to get up the stairs and down the balcony side. It's basically cat and mouse.

Any other time, I assign 1 fireteam of 3 to hold the bottom floor while the other fireteam makes the extraction with 2 hostages and follow us out, giving covering fire.

Root's method works too, the only problem i've seen with it, is the hostages get jammed when they are all together.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by poe
            Better to get at least a couple hostages than a higher risk of death and end up with nothing.
            This is the correct way, to my thinking.

Comment

Always buy smokes when you can afford them, it makes extraction far less complicated. If you are the only one left and without a smoke, check the bodies of your teammates for anything you can scavenge. You have a lot of time, so use it properly; take the time to pick off as many impatient T's as possible before moving in....someone will almost inevitably stick their head out of a window or doorway. After you've decreased their numbers, move in. I almost always try to take out the bottom hosties on Italy first, if the T's know you are in the building, chances are they is watching the stairs so you won't sneak up on them...if you have an extra flash use it to flash the top before leaving, but member you’ll need to save one for the top floor when you return. I’d do it in this order: smoke exit>> flash top floor>>bugger off!!!

Dirt013
              Dirt013

Comment

I quite often make it into the house and tag the bottom hossies due to bad cover on the part of the T's. The other day I did it when it was me against 5 of them. Sad really.

I shoot from the apartments and then quickly circle around and up the long hall running behind them and into the door. Not shooting at them is the key. (Knowing when not to engage the enemy.)

Once I have them I usually try to run down the long hall in a zigzag pattern so that any T's would have to risk shooting a hossie when trying to get me.

Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't but I think I usually have a better chance getting the bottom 2 than getting all 4.
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Usually on cs_militia_tm2, it always ends up with the ct's grabbing the hosties in the kitchen and going back, and then they all try to go for the garrage area. Some times, its better to rescue some, other times you just have to run through it and get them all.

Comment

Originally posted by black death5
                    Usually on cs_militia_tm2, it always ends up with the ct's grabbing the hosties in the kitchen and going back, and then they all try to go for the garrage area. Some times, its better to rescue some, other times you just have to run through it and get them all.
                    What always amazes me on militia is the way the T's abandon the hostages and end up with too few left alive to hold the garage.

Even more worryingly, a few nights ago I took up my usual recon position in the garage, and my team had deployed themselves so that I was followed into the garage by a CT with the kitchen hostages, who then chose the garage hostages over killing me, and departed. The most infuriating part of that little incident wasn't that the T's let all 4 hostages get grabbed despite having a full team (although that was downright disgusting to see on a PCS server). After I died in pursuit of the hostages, I slayed my entire team, and instead of realising what a huge screw up they'd made, my team mates (some wearing TG tags) proceeded to bitch and moan about me slaying them.

I'm also amazed at the total lack of co-ordination and communication on the part of CT's. When a player with such a low LOW LOW skill index as mine can defend the hostages against 5v1 odds, you've really go to question if the TG members on the CT team can even SPELL PCS.

Root
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

EXACTLY!! thats what always amazes me too. the CT's always abandon the ones in the kitchen and just camp in the garrage. One flashbang usually then takes out the T's eyes and then its up to the guy camped upstairs watching the window. What i HATE is when it turns into a contest of "Who can spam through the metal door to kill an enemy." People are sitting there firing stupidly and wasting all of their ammo on the door. The T's just dont want to have to defend a greater area, they sit watching one door and 1 window.

Comment

I like a good mix but militia definately requires good solid Defense on the T's.

- -

Comment

Always try and get one set of hostages if the sector they're in is clear. I just think it's not only as equally important for the objective, but for the MONEY!

For the latest on the , , and , visit the .

Comment

Originally posted by Root
                            What always amazes me on militia is the way the T's abandon the hostages and end up with too few left alive to hold the garage.
                            I had that issue the other night.

Defense is simple: camp the hostages, let the battle come to you.

Some maps, like militia and italy, really slant in favor of the T's. The second floor of italy or the garage in militia are very difficult to attack.

Given that, shouldn't the T's be loaded up there, and offering, at best, token resistance elsewhere? Which has a higher percentage chance of completing the objective?

On militia, you can even conceed the 2 hostages in the kitchen, and still win the round by defending the garage. Same for the hostages on the first floor of the house in italy.

I guess camping is boring to alot of players. *shrugs* Who cares if I have 17 kills, 0 deaths, if my team is 0-7?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo

On militia, you can even conceed the 2 hostages in the kitchen, and still win the round by defending the garage. Same for the hostages on the first floor of the house in italy.
                              I'll never give those hostages up! If i'm planning i leave one guy in the garage to watch window and report and not let the CT's have any hostages. If anyone survives the frontal assault they can reinforce the garage guy to hope for a round win.

IMO if the 2 hostages in the front get rescued i get a real knot in my stomach and it just doesn't feel good.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X