Spraying and Praying: Your Anti-Kill [Answers Anonymous]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spraying and Praying: Your Anti-Kill [Answers Anonymous]

We have all heard the term 'spray and pray' before. There is a reason for this; spraying (or the act of holding down the fire key in a continuous burst of bullets, without relent until the clip is empty, or more often the sprayer is dead) simply cannot go without praying.

Below are two accuracy demonstrations for the two most popular rifles, the M4A1 and the AK47 (respectively). The left frame is from firing while standing still, simply holding the trigger (entire thirty rounds), from the storage-room door to the wall at cs_office. The second slide is while strafing to the right, constantly firing (about 20 rounds). Note on the first slide how spread out the bullets are... it took thirty rounds to achieve that "accuracy." On the second window, you will notice not only the changing height of the bullet holes, but also the frequency of them - the distance between holes is inconsistent and unpredictable. The giant red dot is about where my crosshairs were. Remember, it is under calm conditions, up close, against a "target" that not only doesn't move, but is a wall.

Now, I have been playing a lot of Natural Selection lately, and I have learned to implement an incredibly useful tactic. I always knew it, but NS forced me to put it into use. And it most certainly applies to our world here, too. It is a multi-part strategy, so bear with me here.

Burst firing
    Ever use the Clarion rifle, in burst mode? Notice how accurate it is? This method of firing is useful when you know you cannot pull off a one-shot kill, but two or three would do the job. Here's the basic run-down:
    • Rate of Fire. This is an essential aspect to our burst-fire technique. Basically, what you do is press the attack button a restrained number of times to maintain a high accuracy, yet get off several rounds before that precision fails to the necessity of praying. The ideal rate is a double-tap, which is where you pull your trigger two times in rapid succession, but no more. If you fire beyond a controlled rate and amount, your accuracy will fumble and your shots will be off. So do not go beyond this. A good rule of thumb is when your crosshairs begin to widen excessively, you know you have gone too far.
    • Physical Movement. Unfortunately, your accuracy plummets when you fire while in movement. To attain your peak skill, you must be perfectly still while executing your burst-fire attack. But remember, you only need to remain still during the firing. Feel free to move all about after you shoot! (But no bunny-on-crack hoppin').
    • Burst Delay. This is rather important if you do not yet have the ability to kill a member of the opposing force with one burst, or you are facing a larger group of enemies. After your burst, wait for your crosshairs to settle to their normal size while at rest before firing again. If you fire burst after burst after burst, you sabotage the entire method. You must be controlled, and patient. If you use this technique, you will usually be able to outdo your opponent simply because of it.
    • Strafe Aiming. This skill will do wonders for you. For the sake of simplifying explanation, I will make a few quick drawings to demonstrate. I will explain them, as well.

First off, your movement will be side-to-side only. You will not be aiming at their head, but at their head level. When you feel you are at the correct height, strafe sideways to the position that will place your crosshairs on their face.

Then execute your newly acquired burst-fire skill! (in this example, we are aiming for "Bob").

Now you know the basic steps to eliminating a dangerous foe! But as with all such things, it is practice and experience that shall improve your ability. So keep at it!

Do you see the different between spraying and a controlled rate of fire now? The improvements? Ask any skilled CS:S player, and they will tell you that spraying is an ineffective method. Ask any PCS player, and they will tell you that it is also quite untactical, and a waste of ammo.

The Glossary, in case you didn't keep up.
    Spray and pray - firing constantly with the only control being a general target. Often combined with indirect movements, jumping, and wildness.
    Sprayer - A person who uses the fault of spray and pray.
    Rate of Fire - The length of time between bullets being fired. Call it the "rof"
    Physical Movement - Something you don't seem to be getting enough of!
    Burst Delay - Delay between burst fires. Or maybe it's the delay between impulses sent throughout your brain... keep up! ;)
    Strafe Aiming - You just read this part! Aiming while strafing, silly!
    Head level - A horizontal line from someone's head. Allows the manuever known as a "head shot"
    Poe - Your heretofore and future mentor. Might as well call him "Master" or "Savior".
    Root - The part of a plant that anchors it into the ground. It plays a major part in gathering resources and keeping the plant alive and healthy. One of its widely known enemies is a natural disaster called a "hurricane".

Re: Spraying and Praying: Your Anti-Kill [Answers Anonymous]

Dang, you're on to me =/

Nice write up!

One thing that always cracks me up is when you realize someone is spraying at you from your flank and have time to turn, aim, burst and blow their head off and they say something like, "WTH I put like 30 rounds into your face and you didn't die! I totally had you dude..." Where as, you only spent 2 - 5 rounds to take them down.

Anyways, something I'd like to add to this is: Aim first and then shoot! So many players will start shooting and then try to aim the spray. When you shoot a gun in real life, you're going to take careful aim before you pull the trigger. The same should be applied to any FPS like CS. The small amount of time you spend aiming instead of compensating for recoil goes a long way. The first bullet is usually dead on and the second is pretty close (with just about every gun although on full auto the famas often shoots a little high even on the first shot). If you stop your movement and have your crosshairs on their face when you click the mouse, they will either die or take a lot of damage. This is why I prefer the AK over m4 because helmet or not, a headshot will almost always mean death. M4 will typically do around 85 damage vs. a helmet so this means you have to repeat the process over... strafe, aim, stop, shoot. The AK is extremely powerful and contrary to popular belief, extremely accurate until you start spraying it.

Lately I've been spraying m4 more. And when I say spray I don't mean spray the entire clip, but shooting 5 - 8 rounds starting at the head and dragging down in hopes that the second shot will hit center mass and finish them off. Seems quicker to try and hit head first and then center mass immediately after instead of trying to hit the head again.

Anyways, great post poe! Thanks for the good read.
    Last edited by Apex; 05-07-2006, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Yeah, nice write up.

(But no bunny-on-crack hoppin').
      :(, wheres the fun in that?

Chewy: i was paraphrasomg
      [19:01] Chewy: KAMER |
      [19:01] Chewy: i love you | Drake_Anra : I only have a problem when Kamer talks... /// Chewy : That's very much a universal problem, Drake. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kamer
        Yeah, nice write up.

:(, wheres the fun in that?
        On any of the 22,000 other servers. :row__593:

Comment

Now i know why i cant hit anything ; )

Comment

Great post there, i usualy try to tell people about the problems with recoil after they humiliate themselves. Some learn some dont. What just makes me mad is those that SnP and get those lucky headshots.

Comment

Postered remember in the tower window yesterday? What a timely post :)

Comment

Lol yea, that was me panicing and being a noob, i was highly embaressed

Comment

Like Postered told me tonight. i do spray alot with the m4. ill try to keep it down to a minimum. I like the last root part...havent seen him around lately though.
                  Cya guys around..

Comment

Originally posted by Monkey101
                    i do spray alot with the m4.
                    Sadly, spraying with a silenced M4 will get a worrying number of kills when the bullet completely misses the target.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Excellent post! I'd like to say that APEX cough cough...got caught red handed. LOL, im kidding. I used to catch myself doing a lot of this spraying and then praying, usually during a rush out of a tight corner or something, but I am now learning how to aim. YAY!
                      " Logic always prevails...now where are my pants?"

Comment

I often find my self spraying, in a sense what I now do is I have learned the raising of a guns bullets as it sprays and now i aim for the feet and lower body when i spray.

Comment

As hard as i try not to spray i sometimes find myself doing it. I'm not sure if it is just panic, or a preconvieved notion that they have a lot of bodies in an area i am about to enter, or comms i recieved, but as of late i have been trying to cut it down. It is not exactly a good tactic...

Comment

Well, if they fixed how the gun reacts and the bullet patterns in the game, along with the hitboxes, I'd say you would find me spraying a lot less.

Comment

*Sigh*

Good thing you have a CS veteran here. Sorry to say, but the spraying pattern in those pictures are completly off. That is NOT where the bullets are actually hitting. That's a random pattern that your computer puts down. Not only does the game engine use lag compensation, but it uses bullet compensation as well. Where you see your bullets hit, they dont hit there. The server registers them somewhere else. The spray pattern for the M4 is like this..

...|||||
                              ....||||
                              .....||
                              ......|

Basically an upside down cone. It really never fires below your crosshairs. It's kinda hard to explain, but you need to give spraying more that what you gave it. I spray a lot, and people wonder why I am one of the best :P
                              Though I have to agree that bursting is better, but spraying has never really killed me, unless I am lagging really bad. I suggest that if you dont know how the spraying actually works, then play around with it. It can really help you out.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X