jumping to see over obstacles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jumping to see over obstacles?

I was wondering if jumping to see over obstacles (when there are no enemies around) is ok? Just plain old vertical jumps,

For example the green garbage dumpster by the non-red room de_penstock, or over the altar by site A in de_spirits.

Today I was in de_spirits, by A, covering short A door but also jumping sometimes to look over altar at long A. Then I got kicked and I didn't even know why until I reconnected.

Then I got kicked again without anyone clarifying if this is allowed or not.. so my question still stands. In real life, if an obstacle was in my view and I wanted to see something far away, there's no reason why you couldn't quickly jump up to check it out.

But if it's not allowed, then I'd like to know that too, thanks!

Re: jumping to see over obstacles?

Bunnyhopping is defined as jumping to avoid fire. Anything else I don't think could be defined as bunnyhopping. I've seen people TG and non, jump to fire over objects, look over objects, climb over objects, etc...I figure as long as you're not doing it to avoid fire it would have to be acceptable.
    | | |

Comment

I first asked this question of an admin when I came here to clarify crackjumping, and I got an okay for it.

Comment

Seems to me that it would be fine...UNLESS someone spots you and starts trying to take your head off....That's when you will get a cry of Crack Jumping or Bunny Hopping....

I have even seen people jumping to peak in windows...so seems OKEY DOKEY to me....

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

should be totally fine imo

All I ask for is communication

Comment

I think jumping to see over a box or whatever should be ok. The general rule of thumb I go by is, if it's cartoony it's not good.

So for me, jumping to see over an object, with a decent wait between jumps like maybe a few seconds, is reasonable.

Jumping over and over and over again like a frog on speed would clearly be too cartoony.

Jumping to shoot over a box, no matter how frequent, seems to fall into the cartoony realm as well. I can't really see "professionals" pulling this move; it seems more like something a scared amateur would do. And undortunately, in RL, the bullets, especially from non single shot weapons, would be far from accurate but the game doesn't seem to add that realism to jump shots very well, which is another reason it should be avoided in a PCS scenario.

my 2 5.56 full metal jacket shells.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
            "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
            - Wulfyn

Comment

Originally posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
              I think jumping to see over a box or whatever should be ok. The general rule of thumb I go by is, if it's cartoony it's not good.

So for me, jumping to see over an object, with a decent wait between jumps like maybe a few seconds, is reasonable.

Jumping over and over and over again like a frog on speed would clearly be too cartoony.

Jumping to shoot over a box, no matter how frequent, seems to fall into the cartoony realm as well. I can't really see "professionals" pulling this move; it seems more like something a scared amateur would do. And undortunately, in RL, the bullets, especially from non single shot weapons, would be far from accurate but the game doesn't seem to add that realism to jump shots very well, which is another reason it should be avoided in a PCS scenario.

my 2 5.56 full metal jacket shells.
              Interestingly enough, the shotgun is more accurate in CS1.6 when you jump around.

I'm fine with jumping to peak over obstacles, even the rare shoting while doing it.

Then again, the only time I do that is when I want to spook the enemy, not actually hit him.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

I think all of you are getting this bunny hopping idea the wrong way. I come for cs 1.3 and bunny hopping was always someone who is jumping a certain way to get to places faster...a lot faster than walking. Once 1.6 came around they did something to the game where it made bunny hopping impossible, they messed with some server config file but there were servers that found it and put it back on.
                http://webmasterp.com/tg/016|005|007|032.jpg

Comment

oh and for the jumping over obstacles to see over them. How could you say this is wrong? Now in source you can't do the "fake" jump so you would have to do a full jump to look over it which makes you vulnerable to being hit since you really cant shoot back unless you have a shotgun.

Sloppy Joe : They can't do it in source but in 1.6 and earlier versions there was a thing called "fake jumping" what people would do is tap their crouch key very very quickly two times and you would do a jump but not a complete jump, just a quick up and down long enough for you to quickly see over the box etc. "Professionals" did use this and still do, except for source.

Nulloperations : the shotgun in 1.6 wasn't anymore accurate in the air than on the ground. Reason why people jump and than shoot in 1.6 is because you're shooting down on the enemy when you do it and the spread of the shotgun which unlike the other guns in 1.6 isnt effected by being in the air so the spread had a better area to hit the persons head and plus it is a little bit harder to hit for new people but I laugh at people who try it on me
                  http://webmasterp.com/tg/016|005|007|032.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Krosstika View Post
                    I think all of you are getting this bunny hopping idea the wrong way. I come for cs 1.3 and bunny hopping was always someone who is jumping a certain way to get to places faster...a lot faster than walking.
                    That's what we call bunny hopping.

Everything else is crackjumping.
                    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                      That's what we call bunny hopping.

Everything else is crackjumping.
                      One day I will write a book on all the strange terminology that video games have come up with...
                      -Zephyr
                      You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                      We are not a single game.
                      We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                      We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloppy Joe View Post
                        Jumping to shoot over a box, no matter how frequent, seems to fall into the cartoony realm as well.
                        I have fallen when I was the last on my team left and there was one hostile left in this way so many times, they only capitalize on my horrible finger reflexes, otherwise this is a very easy way to get yourself killed, nonetheless being very "cartoony" as you put it. :p

Comment

LOL Kelivut, that happens a lot tome as well.
                          ------------

------------

Comment

Well, in general, it's not smart because if an enemy sees you, they are going to know you're there, wait for you to come out one way or the other, then blow your face off. And as Shady stated, you might get called out for crackjumping.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
                            Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
                            Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X