Uses for the para/mg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for the para/mg

Many times that I get a para (the few times that I do get it) someone on my team makes a comment on how non-tactical it is, and I easily prove them wrong.

The para is much more accurate than you may think, if you crouch and take your time to aim, you can easily get a long ranged headshot. Just because it is a machine gun doesn't mean you have to use it full auto the whole belt through. (BTW, ever notice the belt is still there with bullets in it after you run it out of bullets? :p )

It is a great close quarters weapon, though this is obvious. Don't get careless and think your invincible in a close quarters environment though, a simple flanking movement by the enemy force and you can kiss your head goodbye. Also, with its huge recoil, just running and gunning isn't such a great idea, take your time and take advantage of your "magazine" size over your enemy. The only time you should be spraying bullets out like a cocky terrorist is when your enemy is at point blank range.

Now my favorite job of the para is supressive fire due to its moderately high rate of fire and its wide spray of the bullets. Anyone hearing a para unloading its way in their direction normally would not come out of their hole for a while due to the large number of bullets in its belt. This doesn't mean get careless and go into a spray and pray mode, take care and do quick and occasional (yet often enough to keep the hostile at bay) bursts of say 5 rounds, otherwise a gutsy enemy could easily make a trophy of your head.

However, with the large amount of noise this makes, it would not be wise to take this on a stealth mission (the little number of maps stealth missions are possible on). Even with this, it isn't an ideal distraction gun either the way many people handle it. As above, using quick and occasional bursts is the way to go, especially since most distractions are set to occur in a large open area, or atleast with one direction that accuracy is tool for staying alive.

Now just because you read this and understand it doesn't mean all this is possible for you, it is a hard gun to handle and after a few sets of bursts it just makes you want to go all out full auto. I just thought I would make it since so many people don't know of any other uses for it than running and gunning.
    And I in no way take responsibility for lost heads over you buying the para because of this post. :p

Re: Uses for the para/mg

BTW I did a search and there were far too many results so I just made the post, sry if it's a redo. :p

Comment

I think the distaste for the para comes from the fact that you have to shoot from the hip in CS, and that IS untactical, not to mention absolutely not real-world.

If it's used in a crouched position for suppression fire or engaging bunched up targets, then I would think that's using the gun in the closest possible manner to the real world, and sometimes that's as tactical as you can get due to engine limitations.
      BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I often find myself using this gun in the same manner as I would a P90, except with added distance if I need it. I always get this gun if I can on Havannah as a CT. Every time someone sees it the immediate reaction is "Whyyy did you buy a PARA!?" Then I proceed to wipe out a chunk of the T team and get a few hosties on the way. Of course, maybe that's why I like Havannah so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Priest View Post
          I often find myself using this gun in the same manner as I would a P90, except with added distance if I need it. I always get this gun if I can on Havannah as a CT. Every time someone sees it the immediate reaction is "Whyyy did you buy a PARA!?" Then I proceed to wipe out a chunk of the T team and get a few hosties on the way. Of course, maybe that's why I like Havannah so much.
          I suppose it could be argued that lesser weapons can be used and the same result achieved in such close quarters. If you were to use it in courtyard or atrium for suppressing fire, that would be more realistic.
          BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
            I suppose it could be argued that lesser weapons can be used and the same result achieved in such close quarters. If you were to use it in courtyard or atrium for suppressing fire, that would be more realistic.
            This is true. The thing that made it work for me was the huge number of bullets- meaning I didn't have to stop to reload in unfriendly territory or switch to an inferior weapon. Keep in mind, I don't think I've tried any epic Para rushes since the mod got turned on, so the decreased run speeds might balance me out :P

Comment

I am always amused to see people spend 15 bullets of the Para, than relaod.

What, like you're worried you're going to blow through those 85 bullets while engaging the enemy, without killing him or dying yourself? Wow.

-Aaron

Comment

You'd be surprised Schwa. If I'm in non-hostile territory with teammates abound, I'm going to take the time to reload those 15 shots just incase I need them down the road.

Not for the Glory. Not for the Honor. For the Team.

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                  I think the distaste for the para comes from the fact that you have to shoot from the hip in CS, and that IS untactical, not to mention absolutely not real-world.

If it's used in a crouched position for suppression fire or engaging bunched up targets, then I would think that's using the gun in the closest possible manner to the real world, and sometimes that's as tactical as you can get due to engine limitations.
                  way to put me down heh :p

Anyways, i usually use it only when im crouching unless it's like when i run into an ambush then i just backpedal and fire the whole way to cover, which i guess is far from real-world. But yea i wasnt meaning just to run around and fire the thing everywhere. I meant more like you hear that your team is pinned down, you call for a little supprisive fire while you get in position, and then you can do whatever you want almost -- suppressive fire, or kill-shots.

It's probably about as accurate as some of the non-scoped rifles, but i don't know about the power. If you aim for a head shot and do a 2 round burst I think only the first one will hit, depending on the range, and thats not always a kill-shot.

The best way to use it defensively is to set it up in a bottleneck area and don't move from there, forgot to mention positions at all in that post.

Originally posted by Priest View Post
                  epic Para rushes
                  talk about unrealistic :D

Comment

I find it the best weapon for T's in arcticstorm( I think). Camping the locker room or sewer door is so easy and effective, just spray when the door opens. 20 bullets later the door closes. If someone tries to run through the stopping power basicaly traps them into the stream of lead. The only way to counter this effectively is a frag grenade, but if you are in the right place, you will only get minimal damage.

Comment

The only real world applications for the machine gun is to put heads down.
                      But considering this is a video game and the life of your player is virtually worthless.
                      It is less effictive to say for certain.
                      But para weilding enemy isnt a completely incompetent.
                      The para has a knack for putting one 5.56 MM bullet right in your enemies face
                      :)

Comment

Dusts off forum...looks around....where the hell am I 1985? LOL!

I dare any CT to come into the paper room after they flash and the T has a para trained in that direction and as soon as he flashes he starts sawing away...LOL!

Still I would go with a tactical triangle...LOL!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

I like the para. It is my friend.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeee4yksfdw[/media]
                          "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                          Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I loves me them Para rushes alright.

Comment

I`ve said it a few times that the Para can be used as a sniper rifle in the hands of a player who knows what they`re doing. I suggested this to Laredo once and he took it as a joke at first until he realized that it can actually be done! But anyways, it`s a good weapon if you know how to use it and apply it properly to each scenario you find yourself in. Besides, the cost outways the use of it by people who just spray and pray.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X