How much to talk?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much to talk?

I've been playing in the TG server a little over the past few days and one thing I'm worried about is voice chat. I'm pretty sure I talk too much and annoy the crap out of everyone, but I'm not sure how much people should talk.

I try to always yell flash or smoke when throwing the corresponding grenade. I try to confirm with teammates whether they want me to throw a flash if I'm not sure. I report when I see enemies, how many I saw and where they are (as much as I can describe).

I admit I also do stupid things like saying "got one" or "****", which I know I shouldn't. I apoligize for that. :(

But even aside from me cheering and swearing, I felt like nobody else was talking nearly as much as me. I didn't often hear people report how many enemies they saw, or where, and I don't recall ever hearing someone yell "flash!" or "smoke!" before they threw one. So, I'm not sure what is the appropriate level of discussion during the round, and I'm hoping others can help me out.

Re: How much to talk?

Originally posted by some guy View Post
    I'm not sure how much people should talk.
    I'm assuming you mean whilst alive?

Is what you're about to say directly relevant to the mission?
    Is someone else already saying it?
    Are you capable of saying it clearly, concisely and precisely?

We have a forum for any PCS related questions. We have a sandbox for all manner of weird and wonderful stuff, we have an IRC channel for random chat, and we have a bunch of other fora for a bunch of other stuff.

When you talk or use radio presets, you affect the ability of your team mates to hear noise made by the OpFor. This can be critical.

When you type, you are incapable of backing up your team in any way. If you're in the middle of telling us what you did at school today, and an OpFor pops out in front of you, he's most likely going to kill you, and you'll never even get time to let your team know.

The only restriction on talking whilst dead, is that players who are trying to plan the next round take priority over those who just want to chat.
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I talk a little too much in-game, but that is one of the few places I feel strong comradary with my fellow TG gamers.

-Aaron

Comment

yeah, I tend to talk quite a bit too before rounds and whatnot while waiting for them to actually start, but I shut up if there's people actually discussing what to do for the plan. BTW, in case you didn't know, I play on the server as [R] Cheesyfli lol
        |TG-Irr|Cheezyfli

Comment

sometimes the chatter can be a bit to much, however there are times when communication isn't top notch. Many players you'll find are comfortable with others and they operate on radio silence and carry out a particular breach. Typically like root does you just let him go running in to suck all the ammo up and you follow behind him. Everytime.

- -

Comment

When there is a group of regulars that you are used to playing with on the server the communication is just so much better. If we have a won a few rounds we know where everyone is going and who is teamed up with who and it makes for more relaxed comms.

When there is more newer guys the comms seem to have to be more directed. One person taking the lead and directing what needs to be done ,which is not a bad thing of course but the flow of comms is not as crisp.

The best games are the ones with the best comms, calling what you see and getting the objective completed. Even if you fail at the objective and had great comms it was a good game. Need to switch up your game a bit but still fun.

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

Originally posted by Quest Shady View Post
              When there is a group of regulars that you are used to playing with on the server the communication is just so much better. If we have a won a few rounds we know where everyone is going and who is teamed up with who and it makes for more relaxed comms.
              That works for a round or two, then a new player spawns in and gets left without a clue. It amazes me that this stunt gets pulled even when the new player is wearing an admin tag. "Teamwork" doesn't just include the people you want it to include. It includes everyone the OpFor is about to start shooting at.
              BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

If it is tactical and important to the mission, people should talk. In fact, I wish everyone had a mic and would actually use it. Chat is so '90s. :)

()

Comment

Agreed Chewey, tactical and important - but also short and to the point.

It gets hard to understand people when they ramble on over the coms about "OMG I am alomost dead, I got shot so many times, blah, blah blah"

I'd say just try to inlcued the number of OpFor, there position whether you've made contact or are taking fire and objective information (you see the bomber, bomb down, Ct's have the hostages, Ect...).

My coms can be a mess sometimes but I try to keep it short and simple as often as I can nd it really helps when my team is doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by doorway 27 View Post
                    Agreed Chewy, tactical and important - but also short and to the point.
                    This is critical when you are actually engaged in battle during the round. It can be extremely distracting when people start to blather nonsense while their teammates are pwning noobs.

However, when it comes to before round (planning time), I think slightly longer explanations are fine. I would rather have someone be a little more thorough and have a good plan, than no one talk and then we immediately die because of the lack of planning. Unfortunately, I wish I could see more TGers speak up and take grab of a round. Don't be afraid to come up with a plan. Trust me, 99% of people won't mind trying something new. Fresh ideas are always welcome!

()

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                      Are you capable of saying it clearly, concisely and precisely?
                      God, I'm sorry. But the rhyming. It's amusing. I've been known to talk a little too much, but I shut it when needed. I agree though. If what you're saying has relevance, ex. where an enemy is and what he's doing, say it. Because if you call out an enemy position, it may help your teammate eliminate him before he gets to the bombsite/hostages.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
                      Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
                      Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

I know I talk too much, I call out almost everything the enemies are doing and get in the way of simultaneous comms in another positon, I just wish you could subdivide the comms to fire teams, that would work out my problem.

Comment

Radio comms work great for this. I use them when I'm not leading a team.

- -

Comment

Er-- who talks to much? That would have to be me.

Non-tactical comms are kept to a minimum, but regardless I try to explain everything precise and paint a fluorescent picture in my team mates minds about what is going on over in my area.

The reason that I found for doing this is here at TG we have such a brotherly connection that (most of the time) we enjoy each others company so much and need to try to please them; that is so much easier when you are comfortable so the words flow from my mouth. My usual shouts include enemy sightings, position placement, plan control, reconnaissance, when a team mate falls, and bomb/hostage situation. (Also, I call out/ask about grenades and ammo (reloading) if there are enemies present.)

Once I'm dead is the time to poke fun and mess around, or just ask everyone how they are.
                            Void Object |TG|
                            "So, what's the plan chums?"
                            "Er-- don't die."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse