Squads and "The Buddy System"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squads and "The Buddy System"

At Tactical Gamer the aim is to execute a well oiled plan that will be able to complete your team's objective. This plan often has a few slight weak points that the other team, if lucky enough to stumble upon one, can break through the defense (or offense) and make life hard on you. My aim is to point out a few of the aspects of what I like to call "The Buddy System" that has saved a round (and my buddies.)

What is The Buddy System? The Buddy System in Counter-Strike Source is when at the beginning of a new map you pick someone that you work well with and stick with them until the map has ended. The Buddy System is great for open-ended maps (ones with a lot of holes that must be plugged while defending.)

What are squads? Squads are essentially the same as the buddy system but can be much more effectively used on the offensive. There are normally two squads (sometimes three) during a map and split as evenly as possible. A squad leader should be designated; one that is competent and gives orders well.

How can I use these tactics to my advantage? Simple, make a suggestion to your team during the round. Most of them will be thrilled with this idea since organization makes game play run much more smoothly. Gamers normally see that The Buddy System and squads also seem much more realistic and tactical, even more so if the other team is not taking advantage of team work.

Do I need these tactics during a game? Yes! Organization and communication is key to winning a round. If you were to join nearly ANY other server you would see what I mean. Everyone presses F1 and runs off to meet the opposition, then you have a head on fire-fight with much pray-and-spray and everyone relying on the source engine to make their trigger pull a head shot. Similarly, you see others go off on their own, die for lack of back up, and have one whole side of the map compromised. Now your team has the disadvantage.

By being a Tactical Gamer you are proving that you will take the responsibility of ensuring your team's success. The absolute best way to do that is to put on your leader's cap and start barking orders (sometimes making others do the same.) Do not worry about others minding or getting upset, because you know if your tactics make you leader-worthy and if they do not then you should be scratching at the others to take command.

I hope you utilize these tactics and look for more in depth squad strategy to come. Thanks for the read, all comments/suggestions welcomed!
    Void Object |TG|
    "So, what's the plan chums?"
    "Er-- don't die."

Re: Squads and "The Buddy System"

Top notch post void... top notch. Thank you.
    Dizlor

Comment

Yes, top notch indeed. :) It's a very good system. When I play(ed?), always tended to find someone within each squad to troll along with (o dirtboy how i miss thee). It allows for finer micromanagement in a squad, and makes diversifying easier. Instead of just being a group of people, you're a group of highly organized people - everyone watches out for someone else. It's much easier to guard one person than an entire team. :)

Comment

Originally posted by poe View Post
        Yes, top notch indeed. :) It's a very good system. When I play(ed?), always tended to find someone within each squad to troll along with (o dirtboy how i miss thee). It allows for finer micromanagement in a squad, and makes diversifying easier. Instead of just being a group of people, you're a group of highly organized people - everyone watches out for someone else. It's much easier to guard one person than an entire team. :)

I miss the days when me and Poe had our long walks in italy hold our boomsticks looking for somebody to catch the receiving end of the muzzle. Those were the days. I normally do this when I get in game, usually ednos or Atomic Dog they both tend to die rather quickly and I could catch the OpFor while they are reloading:)

EDIT: I just read the above out loud...and let me assure you that it is not what it sounds like. I was gonna erase it but it is TOO FUNNY;)
        "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Awesome post!

But this kind of thing only encourages Dirtboy. It's bad enough he wants to hold my hand everywhere we go...now he's going to expect me to put my arm around him and tell him he's pretty. Not a chance Dirt. You know Gogeta is the only one for me.
          | | |

Comment

And this is the man that said Gogeta and Dirtboy would make a great couple; now he's trying to tear the marriage apart?
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

You two need to stick together... maybe have a camp out and some hot dogs. Go fishing or something... it would be fun.

It's nice to see the relationships develop at Tactical Gamer; they also seem to improve team work and communication greatly. I... I love you guys.
              Void Object |TG|
              "So, what's the plan chums?"
              "Er-- don't die."

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                Awesome post!

But this kind of thing only encourages Dirtboy. It's bad enough he wants to hold my hand everywhere we go...now he's going to expect me to put my arm around him and tell him he's pretty. Not a chance Dirt. You know Gogeta is the only one for me.
                /singletear :row__636:

yea im much too butch for all of dirtboy's sissy needs :D
                Dizlor

Comment

I work well with Fransan. I just hang around as a (usually) dead body while Fransan takes out half the team and then I come here to boast how good we were together.

Comment

I like the buddy system cause I get to be the giddy recruit who gets shot fifteen seconds into the map and have someone yell "Nooooooo he was so young!"

Seriously though, I've tried to get this system going occasionally and it can certainly have stellar results. It is much easier and more likely that you will watch 1 person's sorry arse than a group of people.

-Zephyr
                    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
                    We are not a single game.
                    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
                    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Comment

the buddy system is excellent, especially when your buddy knows wtf they are doing (ex: more skill than thou)

Comment

POE your my buddy. :)

Comment

I usually seemed to work quite well with Gogeta back in the day. It wasn't really, "back in the day", but it's fun to say.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
                          Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
                          Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

I like the buddy system as well. My only problem is that I have this tendency to be in front, and "gosh" wouldnt ya know it.. The guy in front always gets shot first... strange how that works..
                            I.R. Hogan |TG|

Discipline is the soul of an army.
                            It makes small numbers formidable
                            procures success to the weak
                            and esteem to all.

Comment

Originally posted by -delta- View Post
                              I usually seemed to work quite well with Gogeta back in the day. It wasn't really, "back in the day", but it's fun to say.
                              ahh dems were tha dayz.... :)
                              Dizlor

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...