Guarding the bomb at a distance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guarding the bomb at a distance?

I was playing a 2vs2 with Bronco against Yer Mom and someone else. The name of the map escapes me, but it's a bomb map, A being up top next to a yard with a totaled truck, B has a staircase leading to the yard and a hallway that connects the bomb sites, and the CT spawn is connected to the hallway.

So me and Bronco decided to split up, me making noise at B while he goes to plant at A. So I run into Yer Mom at the slope that has the catwalk and generator room next to it. I came out victorious, so I went up the catwalk and waited there. I see and here movement from the B bombsite, and right then Bronco plants. Obviously running past B to A would have been suicidal, and trying to clear B would have been killhunting, so I sat tight for moment. I'm thinking I'll wait for the door to open, I'll run up to A and intersect him at the end of the hallway. Turns out he decided to go the more direct route, and he ran past me, so I blasted him.

Yer Mom scolded me for not guarding the bomb correctly, and told me that I could have taken the other route, going past our spawn. I'm wondering, since I knew exactly where the enemy was, and I was kind of pinned down, since I couldn't advance, wasn't I more useful for my team right where was, since I could report where the enemy was coming from and I could cover one of the entrances?

Obviously, in a normal situation, this would be unacceptable, but given the circumstances, I think what I did was completely fair.

Re: Guarding the bomb at a distance?

Sounds like de_crossfire.

I think you're in the clear.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

This stuff seems to happen all the time, and, (despite the touch-feelyness of it all), your intentions seem to play the biggest role in governing whether or not you were breaking the rules.

That and the enemy never knows what you were doing, (unless they're already dead and even then they can't hear your comm chatter), so if you kill them and you weren't near the objectives they'll assume the worst b/c they're mad about getting whacked from the side. Hell, I do the same thing even if I realize they could've had a perfectly good reason to be there. Nature of the beast, my friend.

Unless you make a habit of finding yourself in go-rogue positions I don't think you should have much of a problem w/admins or anything like that... but I'm not one so my word doesn't mean that much.

Comment

Just a note on the side: don't assume that just because you told your team you went there that it's alright to go there. Not all communicated killhunting is flanking.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

If you went one way to get to the bomb site and your enemy just so happens to go past you with out noticing you don't always think that it is kill hunting. Since you guys planted the bomb and the enemy ran past you killing him would not be considered kill hunting since that is a form of protecting the bomb. Now say if you were purposely looking for that last guy (which im assuming you weren't since you said you waited then went on your way to the bomb) to kill, then that would be kill hunting.

Also as a reminder on bomb maps CTs shouldn't assume that they are going to be in the clear until they get near the bomb. Especially in this situation since a man died at one site and the bomb got planted at the other site. Remember people to always be aware of your surroundings.
          There are no winners in war.

Comment

You were sent to distract at B, it's what you did. The bomb is planted and you heard noise coming from B so you because it'd be completely stupid to just run out. If you had, he would have most likely killed you, in which case, you would have failed in defending your objective. OpFor runs past you. You obviously make the choice of eliminating him because you can't really go up and say, "Hey, well, we've been real nice, how about you just let this little sucker blow, eh?". There is absolutely no error in what you did. So long as it WAS communicated to Bronco that you were trapped and you knew where the OpFor's position, and direction was going to be. It's a situation that couldn't be avoided. Crap happens. (Normally, if possible, return to the bomb. This situation was possible, just extremely unlikely you would have made it.) This is terribly written because I haven't slept in quite a while.... Mainly because of Ednos.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
            Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
            Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

I had nothing to do with it; you're just obsessive-compulsive about instant messages.
              Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

From the sounds of it, you were acting on your tactic, you obviously didnt go killhunting and, imo, you did the right thing.

My tactic for De_Nuke is almost the same.
                I always go to B, when the bomb is planted i wait at B until the bomb explodes or my team mate dies.
                I hide behind those barrels where you can crouch and watch the door and if anyone enters the room, you can usually tell. Then you can stand up, boom headshot.

If the teammate dies you can jump up through the vents, go to A through them, aim for the head through the vents and boom! another headshot.

Its hard to tell if anyone is behind those barrels too.

Comment

I admit that my communication was a bit lackluster, mainly because of me suffering from a lag spike. I did say something along the lines of:"I heard him, I'll sit here for a moment", but I'm not sure he heard it because of the spike disrupting my mic.

Comment

Just a little insight. Once the bomb is planted it becomes your main objective to defend it or everything to get to the bomb to defend it. If you come across opfor while heading to the bomb, you make the best choice geared towards that, in this case you succeeded in defending the bomb but if he had been near the site already and you thought you heard something but had been wrong you would have sacrificed the objective to get a kill or avoid being killed (not objective). So next time when you find yourself in a similar position, think of the best way to get to the bomb instead of avoiding dying or killing the last guy away from the bomb first. If you Spot him away from the bomb use your teammates (team play) by following him silently to the site or taking an alternate route to meet up with your teammates without dying.

- -

Comment

I understand that, but in this particular situation, I heard the bomb being planted, and I already got on the ladder, but then I see and hear him, and at this point I get the lag spike, I retreat back up and say whatever I said into my mic. About a second later, I hear the door open, so I sit tight. I was almost sure he would go into the long hallway, but I decided against going down, just in case. Just then, he pops in front of me. Had he delayed it a few seconds longer, I would have left. Keep in mind that the whole thing happened in about 5 seconds.

Comment

I wasn't really referring to your situation potshot in particular, it could be said of any situation similar to it.

- -

Comment

Basically its like this (observing). It all depends on communication and whether you are alone or not. If you are alone, you should probably be at the bombsite defending UNLESS the bomb can be planted in such a way that the only way of defusing the bomb is to place yourself in a exposed position. The problem is also whether the opfor have multiple people alive or not. If it was just one person, you might be able to reasonably defend the bomb from afar. Granted he doesnt have a smoke grenade or something. Second, If they have multiple people alive, say 2-3, you might want to consider defending closer to the bomb, close enough to hear it tick (Think dust2 for example), that way you can engage multiple people instead of say, getting pinned down by his teammates once they know you are there as it will be difficult to actually kill the defuser if their team is protecting him or looking for where you would be shooting from (depending on their experience). Third, if you have a teammate this might be a better option for consideration as it allows you to keep both close and "im going to scout from the middle of penstock to kill the defuser" after the plant. That way if they do smoke or something your teammate will be there to handle it from close-in. Essentially however, it all depends on situation, who you are up against, etc. When in doubt, be there in the bomb site.

Now, again when we are dealing with strategic maneuvers reguarding planting the bomb and distracting the cts at another site, doing a flank, or getting cut-off from the bomb/bombsite or being pinned down, communication is the key to whether what you do is "correct" or not. On the account of being pinned/cut-off (this happens a lot and is the result of, why aren't you defending the bomb accusation), you must let your team know where you are, whats happening, and how you will proceed to get to the bombsite. If it means flanking from their spawn, or taking a route that is unexpected, you gotta let your team know. While you could run the "long" way back where you came from, the idea is you need to get to the bomb site and defend it. If it means plowing your way through the 5 ct who are in that room right before the bomb site, then obviously you need to beat them down to get to your objective. Just let them know what happened afterwards, why you were there. Of course, if you dont have a damn good reason of why you were there behind all of them, and your team cant back it up, then obviously you were breaking some rule probably about boundaries, crack jumping, or crack jumping over boundaries.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X