This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flanking

Hey guys, happy thanksgiving by the way.
    I was just wondering what everyone thought of this situation.

2 CTs are defending a bombsite, 3 more at the other one. The 2 cts guarding the bombsite spot the bomber, and instantly call the other 3 over. The other 3 run across mid, and they ask if they can flank, the 2 defenders are holding up well, so they get the go-ahead. The flank wasnt far away either, the terrorists were pretty far up the pathway, and the flanking ct's start the flank. One of them dies from a terrorists watching their back, while the other one kills the terrorist. Thats as far as the CT gets because he gets kicked. The two defenders hold out well i presumed, and thats as far as the story goes.

I was just wondering if flanking is illegal? Apparently in this situation it was, and was just wondering about all those times i flanked someone and now i feel guilty to figure out that flanking IS illegal.

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Re: Flanking

Depends on who's being flanked. :D

Once the C4 is spotted, flanking is, or at least should be, 100% legal, assuming the map has mid paths that allow other-site CTs to advance without needing to do something dumb like go All The Way Around which would give time for the Ts to change plan and plant at the now-exposed site. The CT's objective is to ensure the C4 doesn't go off. Level one is to keep it from being planted. Level two is to keep it from getting into a site. If a CT can move up (restricting the T's motion) while not exposing the site and while not making themselves unduely vunerable, they should.

Comment

Just because you see the bomber doesn't mean you all rush over there. That leaves another site completely exposed, and for all you know, the T's could just be faking you out. Show you the bomb, run away. It's when your team actually starts taking casualties should you start worrying about sending people over. ALWAYS leave at LEAST one person at a site if possible.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
      Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
      Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

You leave too many variables in your description. What map was this, and what path did the flanking CTs take to the other bombsite? Was it a straight up rush to the enemy, or did you consider other factors in the gameplay? I think your tactic sounds legitimate, assuming an appropriate path, but incredibly unwise.
        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

From what Ive gathered (Ive been banned two times, lol) once the bomb is down you are allowed to flank. If it is picked up and is no longer spotted going away you should return to guarding objectives. If the bomb is spotted on radar a small flank isn't going to jeopardize the objectives as long as the bomb remains visible to at least one member of the defending team. If the bomber disappears then it is back to objectives. Should always leave on at a bomb site unless bomb is planted. My 2 cents.

Comment

You paint a pretty picture, for a horrible situation (this was de_forest ednos) when there were ct's kill hunting left, right and center but being justified as 'flanking'. Many a time in this game kulmar is discribing the T's were barely out of their spawn (the most engagement they had seen was from the giant daisy's and the bomb could certainly not been spotted this far back) when they were 'flanked' from behind. This is not sticking to your objective because they would have to start running from the moment go in an all out gamble to make the length of the map and get behind the T's while not being sighted. This surgests then that it was there intention to get behind and crab some kills before the bomb could possibly be spotted.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

I know of two forest maps I've played (don't know the names, one was beautiful and belonged in Oblivion, the other had über-lame geometry and lol tunnels running under the sights without any light sources) are by nature kill hunting sorta maps. The more open a map is, the stronger the elimination strategy becomes because there is little/no way to get on the site unnoticed. The lame one with tunnels at least provides one way to be sneaky, but the rule still holds -- open = combat and elimination, closed and multipathed = stealth and strategy.

Comment

If you're running back to T spawn to make the flank, the terrorists aren't close enough to pose a threat to either bombsite, and you shouldn't be trying to get behind them.
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

While we're on the subject, sortof, while a CT on forest I tend to run up w/the scout and watch the very back end of the river for t's running across.

I did that once with section or hardcash or somebody on my team and they kept mentioning, "hey, that's a little far up, isn't it?"

I've always considered the river mine as a CT and haven't really been told directly that I shouldn't be up far enough to see the very back. I consider it an excellent position as I can almost always see the T's running across the river and with a high percentage of accuracy let the team know which bomb site they're going for. After I slaughter the team a few times trying to sneak across they tend to smoke it up a bit (as they SHOULD do), so it's not as if they have no defense against a scouting CT in the river.

Are there any boundaries on the river for CTs?

(I've also been guilty of flanking the T's in forest, but only when I'm starting from that deep-river position, we have coverage mid river to watch the fallback, and the bomb has been spotted in the way to B.)

Comment

As a sniper, I would say that's a pretty valuable and strategic position. Mostly for the intelligence it provides for your team when communicating T movements.
                    | | |

Comment

Originally posted by † Disciple † View Post
                      You paint a pretty picture, for a horrible situation (this was de_forest ednos) when there were ct's kill hunting left, right and center but being justified as 'flanking'. Many a time in this game kulmar is discribing the T's were barely out of their spawn (the most engagement they had seen was from the giant daisy's and the bomb could certainly not been spotted this far back) when they were 'flanked' from behind. This is not sticking to your objective because they would have to start running from the moment go in an all out gamble to make the length of the map and get behind the T's while not being sighted. This surgests then that it was there intention to get behind and crab some kills before the bomb could possibly be spotted.
                      Yes, but i've seen this done many times, and given the go-ahead by the PCS on italy. Players go through the tunnel and flank back up long hall, yet this is considered 'flanking' and should be illegal by what you have spoken.

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Comment

In italy, if the situation arises that calls for that flanking maneuver, the CT's are well out of spawn and the flank is short, sweet and precise.
                        | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                          In italy, if the situation arises that calls for that flanking maneuver, the CT's are well out of spawn and the flank is short, sweet and precise.
                          yet you have to go down that long tunnel, while the hostages could be assaulted, and you could do nothing about it but run back and find out that you are too late and they took em down middle.

Comment

People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.

If you think you may need to flank, plan ahead. In italy_tactik there's uaully a T posted up at the end of Long Hall/Sewer. Send him to flank if neccessary. Seems kinda pointless to send someone from Hostie house to engage in a flank that would be so time consuming and more than likely a failure.
                            | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Atomic Dog View Post
                              People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.

If you think you may need to flank, plan ahead. In italy_tactik there's uaully a T posted up at the end of Long Hall/Sewer. Send him to flank if neccessary. Seems kinda pointless to send someone from Hostie house to engage in a flank that would be so time consuming and more than likely a failure.
                              i suppose, but then again that is like my situation in the first place, we are already halfway in position to flank and go ahead. But then again this probably all happened because of bad communication from the bomb site defenders.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X