Squad movement across open terrain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad movement across open terrain

I've noticed on very open maps, there is a tendency to discourage their use. Ex. cs_harvest. Now I know some of you just cringed. But, the map, in my opinion, is fairly realistic. I'll let you do an experiment using PCS mentality, when your on the way to grandma's house for Xmas. If you drive in the country, look at the farms. As your driving by think about how you would assault the farmhouse or defend the farmhouse. May older farms are very spread out and have sometimes many out buildings. With that said, here's some ways to move across large areas with limited cover.

Each example uses a 4 man "squad". Reason being, the teams usually split in this manor. The 3 man squad would use Leap Frog.

You have the leap frog technique, where each member of the squad moves as they become the last one in the line. That person moves to the front, and so on. It allows the farthest forward to give intel and keep track of movement. The 2nd and 3rd man to engage targets being called out or cover flanks. If your dealing with a sniper, the front two are scanning far targets, while 3rd scans near targets while squad is moving.

You also have the Pairs technique. Where you buddy up and move to cross coverage firing positions. Basically, the man on the left covers his buddies right flank and forward. The opposite for the guy on the left. Anything that comes front and center both engage. As one pair gets into position forward of you and your buddy, you then move ahead of them while they cover your movements. When dealing with snipers, one of the two watches far targets and the other deals with near. You can draw an imaginary line either, vertically near the mid point between you and your buddy, or a horizontal line half the distance to objective and setup with your buddy which half your covering. Calling out targets then becomes easier as all you need to say is your zone, and an object for reference. I.E. if I were a CT in Italy, and I was covering far. We are at the end of long hall, my buddy is watching Sewer and the right side, upto the tree. If I see a T run across to the front door, I'd say, Far, 1, Front Door. If a T pops his head out sewers, I should hear my buddy say, Near, 1, Sewer.

Your dealing with a small force (except Italy), usually of equal force or less. You can make your approach more efficient while insuring that at least half of your force is protected by covering fire. The idea is stick and move, your not crouching and crawling to your next cover. They need to be quick bursts and not timed. Move in a structured but chaotic way so your squad doesn't become predictable. Just a few ideas I thought I would throw your way.
    sigpic

Re: Squad movement across open terrain

Those are great plans for those kind of maps, but, in my opinion, you can't do those kinds of techniques on CSS. You gotta remember that CSS isn't all that tactical, if you're fighting a sniper at the house on harvest and your trying to approach, it's either do some good shooting and kill him or try and shoot him and hope he doesnt blow your head off because all you can do is either walk right out for him to see you or wait till a buddy sneaks up and picks him while you're hiding and having his attention. But for the most part, we need to start putting those plans into action on harvest because im sure those will help out the CT side in approaching the house when the sniper is in that window.
    "...and they call me ready to deploy, engage and destroy, wherever you need me to be. I'm an American Warrior!"

Comment

The idea basically is to not allow the sniper to poke his head out to take the shots. And if he does, 2 or three CT's are there to pop him.
      sigpic

Comment

I Can't Go Prone.

Comment

Ima keep this movement to harvest. If you are smart you noticed that there are those kork looking things on the fields there not very far apart its easy to shoot while moving behind and keep moving up. If its any map you have to use your surroundings. Also if your moving in a group take ur scouter with you to call there posistions and to watch out for the flank. Also If you have four man squads throw a row of smokes for cover and if your spotted atleast your in the smoke and you can fall back. If you have a five man team and you have one person and a group of four wait for the one person to get a kill or be killed which gives you the advantage of the oposite team looking the other way. If your like me and you'll take a bullet to the head for your teammate be a shield for them get in front of them with a smg or a rifile and just fire to take there attention to you and not your partner behind them. USE THE OPEN AREA FOR YOUR ADVANTAGE. Thats all I gotta say.

Comment

Personally, I'm a fan of bounding over-watch more. It just always made more sense to me.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
            Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
            Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Originally posted by .tritone. View Post
              I Can't Go Prone.
              When I said crawling I was referring to speed, a snails pace, traffic slowing to a crawl.........
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta View Post
                Personally, I'm a fan of bounding over-watch more. It just always made more sense to me.
                While we do great things with it in Armed Assault, it just doesn't work in Valve games.
                The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

I'm sorry, but any discussion about realistic squad movement across open terrain in an engine that doesn't support prone crawling is pretty much pointless.

The map design has to make up for this with obstacles.

Comment

Originally posted by .tritone. View Post
                    I'm sorry, but any discussion about realistic squad movement across open terrain in an engine that doesn't support prone crawling is pretty much pointless.

The map design has to make up for this with obstacles.
                    OK, given that we don't have any maps that are just big squares of flat terrain, let's assume that this discussion is about moving across relatively more "open terrain" than maps with relatively less "open terrain". These maps with this substantially different quality require a bit more teamwork for success, both on offense and on defense.

Granted, the engine does not support prone positioning, but that does not make this discussion pointless in the context we're in.

Bounding overwatch maneuvers can still be performing without crawling. Tactically superior and teamwork oriented movements across more "open" terrain can still give an advantage.

Yes, the game engine is not a 100% rendition of reality. But to put down a thread for this reason is not contributing anything, just asking for flames, and totally out of touch and context.

So let me ask you Tritone to give you a shot at actually contributing something here, how would recommend that a player or team move through more "open" areas besides just running out in the open in a straight line?

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
                    "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
                    - Wulfyn

Comment

Okay.

If you're talking a completely open area, flatground, no cover - I'd stay as far to the sides as possible. There has to be a wall somewhere. Unless the British are coming, the British are coming, there is no need to walk across the field in a horizontal line formation. Have a scout/krieg/pup take the lead and scan the horizon/area as much as possible. They stay in position, (with one man left behind as rear cover), and the other team moves up past them to the next spot where, hopefully, another long-range weapon team assumes this role and the original comes up to meet them. You'll need to stay spread out enough to avoid nades and quintuple headshots, of course, but still close enough to remain a cohesive squad with designated people to watch in all directions.

If your long range gun goes down, pick it up. If you're getting ripped to shreds, smoke it up and retreat. You don't have much cover so if you're just plain getting out gunned you'll need to come up with an alternate approach. A riot shield (or 7) would be nice to have. Tonight we dine in hell. So on and so forth.

If your team couldn't afford rifles your squad leader should be slapped for suggesting the route to begin with. Just smoke ahead and flash/run as quickly across as possible.

If we're talking an open space with obstacles, like the hay bales in harvest, you'll need to very carefully sweep the ground and move in a wave through all of the bales to make sure there are no enemies crouched behind and hiding. Think of it as trying to reach 100% certainty that you have the area cleared. When you approach the haybale area you have 0% certainty. (Whenever I enter a room I always assume that there is an enemy there. Clear the room so that you know there is not and THEN move up.) Post a long range gun in as best a position as possible in the back to watch the high ground, horizon and a man to watch his back. The rest of the squad will have to carefully get in positions to hop from bale to bale until you've eliminated any possibility of an enemy hiding in the back.

The movements will need to be in two man groups. Let's say you've got the horizon/high ground and a possible opfor to the north and you're moving west to the next hay bale. Your team is behind you to the south/east so you're confident you won't get hit from behind. You move out in unison with one person focused on the north horizon and the other focused on the haybale you're actually moving to. Continue this process until you've covered all the ground.

If your team gets pinned down, use your smokes to either pull back or make the next hop across (or both). If you're reasonably certain that there may be an enemy behind an obstacle, carefully throw a flash as close to the supposed enemy's feet as possible. If you're trying to make a completely silent approach you'll want to avoid using nades at all, obviously.

If you start to lose men, swap them around accordingly. I'd consider the most important positions to be as follows

1 : The sniper posted in the far back watching the horizon in front of you.
                      2 : The person with the sniper, watching his back.
                      3-7 : Everybody else.

If the sniper goes down, the backup should grab his gun and assume his position. You're sacrificing your rear cover, so if possible you should have one of the advancing men take cover behind an obstacle to watch behind the sniper. They'll need to stay in place while the rest of the squad advances.

If the sniper and the backup both go down you're going to want to get across the distance as quickly as possible to take away the opfor sniper's distance advantage. Don't just run haphazard across the space, but pick up the pace as much as is safely possible. Your new objective is to get close enough to kill the sniper or to retreat to safer ground. Smokes would be really nice to have at this point. You'll also want to keep in mind that the sniper/backup could've been killed from behind, so you'll need one of the advancing squad watching your back. Duh. If you're retreating and get back to the sniper's gun you of course have the option of picking it up and trying again... but not only at this point have you lost at least a few men - the entire other team knows your squad's position. Expect to be flanked if the opfor's sniper has seen most of your team running around in the field.

Apply liberally to poorly designed maps with large expanses and sparse cover.
                      Rinse.
                      Repeat.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...