Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New map and new players: Tactical disadvantage.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New map and new players: Tactical disadvantage.

Hi guys, most of you know me though I am new here. I have read and understand the SOP's and I am a contributing member. Unfortunately I feel I (and others unfamiliar with the maps) are an extreme TACTICAL DISADVANTAGE both to ourselves and to our team.

Like any good solider going into battle I would like to do my homework, and learn the choke points and rush contacts of all the maps, and that is the crux of this post. I understand that actually "playing the map" is the best way to learn it, and we do have RADAR albeit crappy at best on some maps.

I wondered if there is anyway to post map layouts of the regular rotation maps on the server. Now I understand this could be time consuming for administrators to implement something of this nature but I believe it would go a long way towards acclimating new players to the maps and servers and adding to over all better game play.

I have only been around for about three or four weeks and I'm still learning the maps.
    I have seen some other players/members join countless times (as I do myself) and have absolutely NO IDEA where initial contact points, bottlenecks, or even where you can be shot from. That being said, most can be figured out by LISTENING to your team and follwing directions, but that doesn't always help...many times have I found myself the "last man standing" and haven't had a CLUE where I can fight through or fall back to..(GRRRRR SO FRUSTRATING)

I have also witnessed players/members whom ALWAYS take the time and try and brief newcomers or people whom haven't played that side of the map yet.People are genuinely awesome about pre-briefing here!!!! ( Part of what makes this server and its participants great and I cannot stress this enough!!!!!)

So, map lay-outs, schematics, anything of that nature would be helpful to those of us whom want to HELP be a deciding factor...NOT a TACTICAL DISADVANTAGE?

Re: New map and new players: Tactical disadvantage.

Nice post Icon. I can't answer you on the scematics but I can say you have pretty much answered your question as far as learning the maps.

I know I get pretty wrapped up in planning that I can't help the new guy as much as I would like but your right alot of regulars here will try there best to show you the way.

Having all these new maps helps. If you don't know the map you still have the radar. Use it to watch your hostages closely or to move towards the bomb site slowly. It adds excitement and yes some frustration.

If there is someone that would do this for ya'll I think thats nice but maybe just bringing the map up in here talking about its good points and bad help you to learn it well. Read some of the opinions about all of the maps we have now. This post wasn't meant to be rude at all I'm just tierd and can't really say this right :(

FUN FUN

Comment

Thx for the reply Spar...I agree that actually playing the maps are absolutely no substitute for map lay-outs or graphics.

Growing pains I guess... I do appreciate everyones patience, I just do like letting a team down because of ignorance of terrain or lay-out... I'd rather be shot in the face.(which happens ALOT anyway) Better than, scrambling through a map, trying to "run and gun" just to fail monumentally wasting everyones time.

Growing pains...

Comment

I personally only learn something by doing it. Looking at layouts wouldn't do much to me, unless I knew the map and was planning something on it.

I learned all the maps here in about a week, with about a couple day after for ones I didn't play during the week. I also just refine what I know everytime I play it, so it's pretty down pat.

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Comment

Icon you have plenty time. I don't care if your the last person and there is 100 players waiting on what you are going to do. Its your time your alive use it wisely to finish your objective. You know what you can do also. Make sure you have all the maps and then load them up and run around to get to know the map. That will give you the edge your looking for :)

FUN FUN

Comment

Yep load up the map in single player and get a feel for it.

You can also try out http://www.gtactix.com/

- -

Comment

I always play on ednos' team whenever I can. I like to curse him with my crack aiming skills, or rather lack there of :P

In all serious though I always say I'm a newb to the map (and CS:S in general) and ask to hook up with a buddy and generally tailgate them :) Either that or stay with the hosties. I end up dieing a lot but my odds for at least helping out my team is to stay with them and not try to cover a point alone.

Comment

While this may seem obvious, I seem to forget about it all the time. One way to learn nice camping spots is to spec other players and use free-look when you die to quickly move around the map.

Comment

New maps can be extremely frustrating.....

what i do when i find myself in a new is follow a team member whos familliar with the map.

Another this is i focus on one section of the map (right side, left side, mid. etc.) untill i become familliar with it, then i move to another location, until i have covered the entire map. This approach ussually takes like 3 rounds though...
                  :icon35: Ultima |TG-PCS| :icon35:

This is where I put my ribbons.
                  |
                  |
                  .\__\
                  ...../

Comment

Don't know if this will help but you can also set up your own server/game on your computer to play with or without BOTS just to "learn" the map. If you have downloaded the map you can use it as a server. Just use the "create a server" option vise "find servers" and follow the steps. Pretty self explanatory. I will admit I have done this a couple times. Works for me.

Comment

The title gives the best benefit to this server. New players and new maps don't get along so they are forced to be carefull and stick with someone when they first play. This means they will be learning our style and co-operating in teamwork even when they didn't join this server with the intent to do so.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
                      Winston Churchill

Comment

well i'am new 2 on TG and if where playin a map i just say i dont know the map so somebody else could lead on and there's tottaly no problem cause they take me quick true te routes and i'am always stayin close with them , i dropped bom 1 or 2 to just cause i dont want to end up in places i never been and gettin killed and lose bomb on a very hard place that is covered 2 well , happend once and there where a few peeps not very happy about that lol :d

Comment

If you have bomb and dont know map its fine to hold bomb. Just defer plan or actually make someone step up to bat by asking who knows the map. Then when people say they know the map well pick the one you feel best for the job and say please take us to A/B site slow fast or split us up to come into sight. You will be amazed at how well it will turn out. Just don't throw the bomb down.

FUN FUN

Comment

Usually for me, playing the map will help to learn it but you can always get an extra edge by using free roam to try and memorize it more.

Comment

Originally posted by cstealth View Post
                              Usually for me, playing the map will help to learn it but you can always get an extra edge by using free roam to try and memorize it more.
                              I like trying to volunteer towards taking a new route quite a bit to experience the map. I almost always stick with the hosties first round though

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X