Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zombie Panic Source Tactics!

Some suggested points for humans
    1) Stick together. If you get off alone, unless you are lucky and have a big gun, you're going down like a chicken in front of a fat guy. I've also pulled the dumb run ahead a bit, "just to grab that one gun" and gotten eaten like a sausage at october fest.
    2) Use communications. If you see a zombie, say it. Tell location, number and if 'whitie' is there. If you need additional firepower in a direction or are reloading, let us know.
    3) Make sure all directions are being watched at all times. I can't count how many times I go to drop ammo for someone only to be eaten from the back where someone was supposedly watching.
    4) Share equipment. If you are carrying a lot of ammo of the type you are using, share some. Dying with 90 MG ammo doesn't help you. But giving 30 of that to a friend might keep you alive with the other 60.
    5) Don't carry too much. If you are moving too slowly due to large amount of stuff, drop some. Dying with 4 weapons, 500 ammo and 3 nades just means you died stupidly.
    6) watch your endurance meter. Upper left. If it isn't white, you're tired. Use Alt (or whatever you bound it as) to walk. Or just stop in one place. Heck, everyone should just stop in one place periodically and all watch exits. That way, everyone's meter goes up.
    7) Beware of communications (see 2 above). Zombies can hear you. They like to know where you are going. IF possible, type it into team chat, but don't leave your arc of fire unguarded to type in a 50 character hexi-decimal GPS location or whatever.
    8) Don't let section 8 become a zombie. If he does, kill yourself to get it over with.
    9) Look up. You don't want a zombie to land on your shoulders and rip off your head.
    10) if you are infected, don't be a FRAN and talk the other 2 humans to stand on a railing with one on each side of you facing out, then change and kill skylark. It's rude. :row__572: Seriously, if you are infected (if the red cross in upper right changes to red blotchy blood spots) you are going to change to a zombie soon. YOu can either let the humans know, throw down your weapons and run away to help them. Or you can pretend all is well. Walk closely behind someone and then eat them like a snickers bar.
    11) Once you have a good amount of gear, hole up somewhere defendable/baricadable and keep those zombies full of holes. Zombies hate it when a lot of humans with lots of ammo are in a place they can't easily get. They start up blogs and complain to their zombie friends and call you nasty things like campers and noobs.
    12) Fire discipline. Don't fire a shot or two at zombies far away. Wait until they are committed and kill them down. They regenerate. Shooting them once or twice far away is just a waste of ammo.
    13) Don't chase them. If they are hurt and run away, don't go charging after them. You may turn a corner and get eaten.
    14) Hide your main gun. If you have an AK, keep your pistol out. A zombie sees you have a pistol and starts coming. You hit him a time or two, then switch and mow the unexpecting mindless freak down like a cat on an interstate.
    15) keep your main gun out. If you have a weaker gun out, you may get eaten alive before you get the bigger one out. Confused with regards to #14? At long range, keep wimp out to surprise them. At short range, keep powerhouse out so you can kill them if they jump around the corner like a boogieman on crack.
    16) If you see medical stuff (first aid kit, pills) remember the location for when someone is hurt. Healing up is good for you, good for the economy.
    17) If all you have is a pistol, try to have two. It is quicker to switch to the other weapon then to reload.
    18) If you dont have much, carry some extra ammo for the big guns. They'll appreciate it and you can help them keep you alive by resupplying them.

Tactics for zombies
    1) Use stealth. Sneak. Peak around corners. Use darkness to your advantage.
    2) communications. If you see the humans, let your fellow flesh eaters know where and how many. Remember, YOUR communications are secure. Talk all you want about plans. The meat bags need to die.
    3) Save your speed bursts. Don't waste 'em. You'll need them to chase down a fleeing bone bag to munch on.
    4) Attack in groups. If there are a lot of zombies and you just charge toward them by yourself, you deserve to die and not respawn. Cause you probably just died pittifully, gagging on your undead groans.
    5) Cooperate. If they are in a hall, try to come from both sides. Don't give them an alley to escape.
    6) Guard important areas. If there is a certain building that has good stuff, lay in wait.
    7) Death from above. Humans tend to forget to look up. Use that surprise to land on their shoulders and rip off their puny heads.
    8) Don't kill the infected person. If you are using zombie vision and one guy looks green, don't kill him. He'll just change to a zombie later.
    9) Use your regeneration. If hurt and you know you won't finish them, try to pull back and heal up. Especially when respawns are running low.
    10) If humans barricade their cowardly but tasty flesh, smack the furniture aside. take turns doing it and let regeneration (see 9) heal you up from the shots you take.

For Both1) Learn to do the jump, duck through the windows. As a zombie, I was able to jump out onto that overhand ledge of the house by the water and eat a guy on there because he was expecting it to take me a while to crawl out.
    2) Communications. I said it on each, but it bears to be repeating. Tell each other what's going on.
    3) work together. Again, Mentioned before, but bears repeating. Work together or die alone. Fool.
    4) Remember to not kill skylark. Either let him escape to a zombie free world or else let him gnaw on your skull like a tootsie pop. :madsmile:
    "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
    Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
    " Ednos

sigpic

Re: Zombie Panic Source Tactics!

Plus rep to Skylark on this guys for his hard work, all good points to think about.

Here are some I thought to add after last nights great games:

1. If Sirnerd is standing near but not facing out from the group but rather facing in he is probably infected and about to turn coat on you all.

2. If you are in a tight spot and only left with IRR Blood (can't remember exact name) then don't count on him to stay put he is a wily fella and will all out charge the zombies at any chance he gets lol, even when he only has a fryingpan.

3. If you are on the run and running low on ammo then Modis makes a good sacrifice to the zombies, just tell him to take the lead and then double back while he is not looking.

4. Disciple loves the Magnum, so save all ammo for that gun that you find so Disciple can have it from your dead body when he sacrifices you.

5. Fransan walks like an oldman on this game, mainly because he hogs everything!

All these points should help you survive but should not be taken to seriously.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by † Disciple † View Post

2. If you are in a tight spot and only left with IRR Blood (can't remember exact name) then don't count on him to stay put he is a wily fella and will all out charge the zombies at any chance he gets lol, even when he only has a fryingpan.
      guilty as charged hahaha. really though nice work skylark.
      Just some other stuff i noticed in game.

1)if a lone zombie is chasing you and your very light, sometimes melee fights can be more effective than guns. ive beat down numerous zombies and not taken any hits.
      2)AIM HIGH. headshots are effective.
      3)before you barricade yourself into that narrow hallway. check for other entrances....
      4)always have a backup plan if your strategy fails epically. backup plan is better than no plan.
      5)before you go search for ammo, drop your equipment for your barricaded friends. no one likes you dieing and dropping the rifle in a giant mob of zombies. its inadvisable and fairly rude.
      6)DONT BE LIKE FRANSAN AND ANTAGONIZE THE ZOMBIES. just because we can hear all your comms doesnt mean we want to =P

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

Originally posted by Disciple View Post
        Plus rep to Skylark on this guys for his hard work, all good points to think about.

Here are some I thought to add after last nights great games:

1. If Sirnerd is standing near but not facing out from the group but rather facing in he is probably infected and about to turn coat on you all.
        I WAS NEVER INFECTED DAMNIT!!!!!

I've always been killed outright and not infected.
        |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Hahaha I know mate but it was so funny winding you up.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

I have never successfully infected everyone when head zombie (AKA "whitey"). Does that mean I'm not a carrier?
            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

merely that you have bad luck. theres a 10% chance of infecting with every blow thats landed. in my 3 days of playing experience i infected 2-3 people.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

Sometimes you spawn as a normal zombie even if you are the first or only zombie. Don't know why.

Comment

BUT I WANT TO INFECT YOU! You all better be on tonight... I wanna munch on your brains......
                  " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

No one is on!

[hint]braaaains[/hint]
                    " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Zombie Panic tips/tricks

Hey guys,

I wanted to put this here (as I am not aware of zombies finding their way into another forum anywhere else except maybe for the Left4dead thread) as kind of a really short primer with "holes" to better our understanding of the gameplay in zombie panic. For the most part, a lot of this is taken from Skarth's own testing so don't give me any credit.

Basic movement speed

Zombie - 131
                      Lunge - 171
                      Carrier - 142
                      Lunge - 182
                      Survivor - 175
                      Spectator - 1504

A few things about survivor speed, after running for about 15-20 seconds (or immediately after panicking), you will hear a "heart beating" noise, which means you will become fatigued. Every second or two, you will lose 0.5 speed, and continue to lose it as long as you keep running, this will continue going down until you cannot move. Upon hitting a max speed of 40 (through fatigue or carrying too much weight) you will not be able to move forward normally, but must jump to move instead. This occurs most often while moving around in vents. Due to the way Zombie Panic designed crouching, it is very difficult to move while crouching unless you are carrying very little.

About the chart -

-Damage
                      This was calculated by simply whacking a zombie over the head, these values are accurate.

-Speed
                      This was calculated by timing how long it took a weapon to attack 30 times, then diving the time it took by 30, to find out how many attack per second the weapon did. This value may be very slightly off.

-DPS (Damage per Second)
                      Simply how much damage each second this weapon does on average.

-Weight
                      This is how much speed reduction you get from carrying this weapon, a weight of 11 would slow a survivor from his base 175 speed, to 164, making him move slower. Multiple items simple add or subtract weight when they are carried together. So if you had a 11 and a 13 weight item, you would move at a speed of 151. Ranged weapons have two weight values, the first is how heavy that weapon is unloaded, and the second value is how heavy it is when fully loaded.

-Knock back
                      This is approximately how far back this weapon will push someone in one hit, the value for this was measured by recording the position of a character before, and after he was hit. This value is only mildly accurate.

-Reach
                      This is how from far away you can hit someone with a melee weapon. This was measured by comparing the position between two characters and finding the maximum distance they could hit each other with that weapon. A higher number means further reach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Important highlights of the chart above:

All pistols deal the same amount of damage! They are also considered one of the best all around weapons due to the fact that they also deal as much damage as a MP5 or Rifle, have lower carry weight, and tend to be more accurate. Weight is so important for speed that many prefer to carry several pistols with ammo as opposed to a rifle with a lot of ammo.

Headshots deal far more damage than shots to all other body parts. Pistols can often kill 1 and a half zombies to 2 zombies if you land a lot of headshots.

Magnum headshots kill normal zombies in 1 hit making it overpowered in many ways.

Best Melee Weapons:

Pot - Combination of speed and damage
                      Shovel - Best range
                      Frying Pan - Best damage and knockback (while its dps is lower, 50 damage per hit is far more useful than faster attacks when engaging zombies as you can hit them before they can hit you)
                      Machete - Fastest
                      Keyboards - Most hilarious weapon but will mean the end of you

Crowbars - These are a separate category because of the different types. The "super crowbar" as it is known, is the lightest .4 speed crowbar. The reason it is called super crowbar is because if you crouch into a vent or crouch only crawl space area and hold down the attack key, most if not all zombies will die/get knocked back too fast to actually land a hit on you. Note that it has 0 weight, has superb reach, etc.

About Weapon Spread: Bursting with the AK makes it as accurate as the MP5. However, at full auto, the MP5 is more accurate (think circular cone) while the AK will kick into a square pattern (beginning as a cone).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tips/Tricks/Misc

This section isnt really about teamwork or tactics or knowing weapon spawns. Its more about the random stuff you can do to kill humans or zombies, and generally get the job done.

Resting while fatigued (0 bars for example) regenerates the same amount of energy as if you had all but 1 bar missing from your fatigue bar. The optimal rest time is at exactly half at any weight above 45. Any weight below that and you are considered light weight.

All actions except grabbing items uses up energy. This means jumping, crouching, and shooting. This does not include falling however. Make sure you take this into consideration when you are spraying with the rifle or shooting your shotgun a lot as this will fatigue you with continued use.

Hitting the "p" key will panic you. This drops all items except for what you are holding and the clip loaded into the weapon. This typically makes you faster than all zombies even when they are lunging. Can be used multiple times, as the cooldown is something like 45 seconds. I don't believe this gives you a speed boost however. What it does is unload all the weight so that you are at your fastest movement rate.

Barricading: Perhaps the most interesting element of zombie panic (and zombie panic classes where you can be a constructor) is barricading. What works: Using indestructible items that are heavy. What does not: Everything else. Examples of good barricades: Furniture down stairwells, in front of vents, windows. Examples of awesome barricades: Interlocking tables/shelves with crates/barrels to make it almost impossible to breach. What not to do: Place a interlocking barricade in between a swinging door and prevent it from opening. The reason for this is that the survivors then automatically win and nobody can kill them until the time is up. Generally this can be done on most maps and require humans to work together in finding a suitable spot to begin barricading. Cabin b5/b7 is a good map to learn barricading on or zombies_ate_my_neighbor map.

Moving objects as zombies and humans. A lot of people dont realize that the right mouse button click moves objects far more effectively than hitting it with a melee weapon. For zombies, simply right click and you will attempt to push an object aside. For humans, you must press "h" to holster your gun before you can move objects with ease. Hitting objects at different angles can flip them, or adjust the amount of impact given to the object. For example, we will look at the couch. Pushing it vertically is much slower than angled hits to the side of the couch. Also if you crouch and hit it at the very tip you can flip it onto its side, if you need to slide it into a narrow hallway. Note, this "push" attack can break windows in the case you do not have a melee weapon (often the case).

Anti-barricading: When you find a bunch of humans stuffing some poor doorway, it can be tough breaking through without getting your face blown away by some ammo whore or dude with magnum. This is where you need to find yourself an explosive barrel. You can use your secondary attack to push that barrel along and forcibly move barricades by blowing them with the explosive barrel. The blast can often damage/kill humans close behind the barricade and have enough force to move heavy objects or scatter them.

Zombie vision. Activate this by pressing "F". This will black and white much of your vision which helps in darkly lit areas (kind of like natural night vision but not). This also marks humans who are fatigued over 50% as red and makes them stand out greatly. Warning, using this also makes your eyes glow more so that if you are hiding in some dark spot, its easier to see you.

Zombie lunge: Use this sparingly, typically when you are ambushing someone or attempting to gain ground on someone. This sprint doesnt come back unless you kill people (which restores something like 25% energy back).It is equally useful to get a running jump to make it to more interesting ambush spots on many maps.

Infection rate is roughly 10% per attack for the "carrier" zombie usually referred to as whitey (since they are white zombies).

Standing in fire as a zombie or human will light you on fire. Doing so as a human will get you killed rather quickly. Zombies take very little damage while on fire.

If you dont move as a human (when hiding or doing nothing) for 30 seconds or longer your character will start to cough or make noticeable noises.

Many maps have hidden passage ways or breakable walls that have goodies or alternative barricade spots.

Objective maps get the most out this game as opposed to survival maps.

How to tell if you are infected: Your HP redcross turns into a virus icon and your heart starts beating rapidly.

How to tell if your teammate is infected: When you hear his heart rate beat rapidly twice.

When do weapons and ammo respawn? 5:00 minutes per round.

How does survival maps work? Humans win if they survive 10 minutes or if they kill all the zombies (typically 2.5x human lives at start),

If you don't move for a while (while trying to hide), you start to glow red if zombies have their vision turned on.
                      Last edited by Avs; 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Re: Zombie Panic tips/tricks

Very nice post.

Comment

that makes number 2 zps tactic post, I merged them together.

- -

Comment

WHoaaa cant wait

Comment

just downloaded it...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse