suppression fire Vs blind fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suppression fire Vs blind fire

You are a CT at the apartments looking toward the hostage house. Your team is moving up on the outside in the middle area so you consistently shoot at the front door and top window (that looks down long hall) near the balcony to prevent the T's from sticking their heads out.

You are NOT just shooting through walls but rather shooting in a door or window, albeit at a very stepp angle, which doens't give you a clear view of who is inside.

It's a perfect suppression fire tactic to prevent your guys in the open middle area from getting picked off.

Thoughts - comments?

Re: Suppressing Fire: Italy

Originally posted by doorway 27 View Post
    It's a perfect suppression fire tactic to prevent your guys in the open middle area from getting picked off.

Thoughts - comments?
    Most definatly.
    Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by SOPs
      Blind fire? Firing without any evidence to suggest a target is considered blind firing. This applies on all maps, not just near hostages. This is not CAL, where players shoot every single hiding place on the off chance that a target is there. Players are required to show extra caution when dealing with hostages. Neither team is permitted to kill hostages.
      I would generally agree that suppression fire to help advancing position is a good tactic, especially with evidence that an opfor is near the position being suppressed. However, when it comes to hostage areas and realism, I would think that the hostage -could- be anywhere in the area and err on the side of caution. Bullets flying through the walls of the hostage building could be detrimental to the goal.

I guess it really depends on how you guys want to play. If you consider the hostages to be glued to a their spawn and CTs -know- exactly where they are, then by all means, shoot anywhere through walls but not directly at the hostage positions, or on the other hand, assume the hostages to be somewhere in the zone but not really -knowing- exactly where they are.

I tend to presume the latter for the sake of realism, and would have to say that any blind fire through walls into the hostage zone is not acceptable. But I guess it depends on if you guys want to play out that realism. Although I prefer to side with realism, I could go either way, I don't mind shooting up a hostage building if the game tells my toon that I know -exactly- where the hostages are inside and fire bullet halos around them to wack the people inside.

In the case in Italy yesterday, the shots fired were not just in doorways, many rounds came through the wall next to the boxes and through the first floor entrance hallway.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
      "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
      - Wulfyn

Comment

I don't see any problem with supressive fire as a tactic. Spamming is silly; but spamming generally leads to a player having zero accuracy and three bullets to work with when someone decides to walk up to him and initiate Stabby Time™ with a K-Bar.

Comment

Originally posted by SloppyJoe View Post
          then by all means, shoot anywhere through walls but not directly at the hostage positions
          Now, I never said to shoot through walls, I explicitly stated NOT to shoot blindly through walls. I am simply refering to keeping pressure applied to windows and doors.

Originally posted by SloppyJoe View Post
          In the case in Italy yesterday, the shots fired were not just in doorways, many rounds came through the wall next to the boxes and through the first floor entrance hallway.
          This behavior sparked the whole debate in the first place, because this is obviously not allowed, I am just trying to clarify what seemed to be a confusing situation for some on the CT side of things.

Comment

I agree with it as suppresing fire to keep snipers from poking their head out if the value their life.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by doorway 27 View Post
              You are NOT just shooting through walls...
              My bad, to me "not just" sounded like shooting through walls but not just only this, but also something else in addition to it... like replace the word "just" with "only". Ahhh, gotta love English glitches.

Yeah, just shooting at openings for suppression is reasonable, especially if the line of fire is not such that it is likely to nick a hostage.

[Game rules, announcements, and SOPs ][ ][ ][ ]
              "The success of what we do depends upon people valuing the team over themselves."
              - Wulfyn

Comment

The problem with CS:S, and any other FPS for that matter, is suppressive fire does nothing for you...on our servers included.

I would say 80% of the people on our servers would have no qualms of sticking their head out, to take a shot at you while you are laying down suppressive fire. Because, with luck, they take you down...without it...theyll be playing again in about 5 minutes or less.

Of course, I do use suppressive fire from time to time...but I know, in the back of my head, all I am doing is wasting ammo and sticking my head out so someone with better aim can smoke me.

(I remember each and everytime I have used a SAW on the office map to lay suppressive fire at the back elevators only to get headshotted by someone that decided to shut me up. In real life, no one in their right mind would try popping out a hallway with a known machine gun barking...)
                If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
                with any questions or concerns.
                |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

That is unavoidable in a game. Even if damage was handled realistically, like in Ghost Recon where it goes Healthy - Wounded - Dead, it'd be worth risking Elimination to Eliminate a supression player who is obstructing your team from the goal.

Comment

I know I've used this tactic to help teammates advance on this position and bullets do pierce thin walled structures. The walls of this building are especially thin beside the upstairs windows and in the near corner away from the hostages, a place that is frequently used for cover at the upstairs longhall window. Suppression fire then also helps by causing minor injuries that enable quicker take-downs. I will normally refrain from using more than two clips from the M-4
                    Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Personally I think it is pointless unless you think you have to much ammo. I know that no matter how many are left I am ganna stick my head out to shoot at the guy just to get rid of the noise that he making. Along with knowing that his accuracy is so low that I have the chance to pop him.

Comment

Originally posted by Al_Capone View Post
                        his accuracy is so low that I have the chance to pop him.
                        That's the main problem with suppressing fire in CS:S.
                        The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
                        I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
                        Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

Originally posted by ednos View Post
                          That's the main problem with suppressing fire in CS:S.
                          Agreed. Thats why, lately on Italy (or same type of map) if Im CT, and we secure the left side, I use my M4 and take popshots at the window corners where snipers setup. 1 shot every couple of seconds, versus bursts...try to keep my shots tight.

Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
                          If it isn't PCS, whats the point?
                          with any questions or concerns.
                          |

Aggressive Defense (an oxymoron): A naturally occurring situational event where a defender is caught in a role reversal anomaly. Usually associated with lack of practice, discipline or map awareness in a team based conflict.

Comment

How would you guys feel about upping the damage on the SAW to 2 shot death? It's restricted to 1 per team so it wouldn't get abused. Basically I feel that the rounds coming out of a SAW should kill in 1-2 hits, 3 If you get only grazed but with the amount of bullets it puts out, that would be trivial.

The size of those bullets should also be a factor, they are very large bullets and do much more damage.

- -

Comment

I'm all for it.
                              | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse