Gopher Laddering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gopher Laddering

Example. Assault tactic. Red vent, moving up and down that ladder, shooting at someone at the other end of the vent. Up, shoot, down. Viable? I think it's sketchy.

Atomic Dog: Do it, hit it with a crowbar!
    Delta: I don't have a crowbar.
    Atomic Dog: Hit it with the dog!

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Re: Gopher Laddering

i dont see anything wrong with it other than your aim is horrible when shooting off of ladders.
    :icon35: Ultima |TG-PCS| :icon35:

This is where I put my ribbons.
    |
    |
    .\__\
    ...../

Comment

It's an epic realistic failure though. Who is honestly going to climb up a ladder, shoot, go back down, come back up, shoot again kind of thing. Yes, your aim is horrible, but I still think it's sketchy.

Ednos: I just need to man up and get ready to have a testicle removed (which is what using Vista feels like)

Comment

Well I don't have a problem with it considering whenever someone does it I generally just nade them in the face but I suppose in real life tactics it would not be useful at all or practical, lets here what the big dogs say about it.

Comment

Actually, sniper teams do this on ladders over walls and whatnot, they stablize themselves by placing their elbows on the object the ladder is leaning on. It can be done effectively, but with CS:S, it doesn't allow for it to look feasible. Pardon the pun but I'm on the fence with this one.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, your aim is horrible, but that matters not when holding a shotgun. I killed Delta doing this earlier, which brought up the discussion.

I'm on the fence as well. I mean it's not completely realistic, but neither is having accurate shots while strafing back and forth... so I don't know.
            "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
            "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

I dunno if you were to stand on a ladder and hold with one hand you could lean up and shoot a pistal and then bend down, the game accounts for the inaccuracy of this itrself. Some imagination has to be used for alot of things such as climbing a ladder with a gun out are we expected to throw down weapons just to fit in with realism? I think some things justhave to be taken for the game engine being limited. I believe that the game does do a suffiecient job of effecting your aim but if others feel it shouldn't be allowed then I will enforce.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
              Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't have a problem with it because I feel if you limit their ability to do this, you will just create controversy on other similar subjects. I.E. players rushing up a ladder and shooting. We have to sometimes just let the gameplay control itself, if a player goes up a ladder and the enemy is there, are they not supposed to shoot because they just climbed the ladder? I would say that the player on the ladder has a disadvantage for a reason with their aim, and it should be upto the opposing player to be alert with their situation and prepared for anything taking their caution as they would with any other breach attempt (flashes, grenades) I think as long as communication and teamwork is in tact, players should not be too vulnerable to the point where it is unfair to one side. - Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Xen View Post
                  Actually, sniper teams do this on ladders over walls and whatnot, they stablize themselves by placing their elbows on the object the ladder is leaning on.
                  I agree with this, because obviously, this is a viable tactic. But I'm talking about rushing up and down the ladder and whatnot. Sure, I could have naded him in the face, and it didn't occur to me until now, but the matter at hand is the ladder, not how it can be stopped.

Comment

Yeah I think everyone is missing the part of the title "Gopher" which means popping up and down taking a couple shots each time. It can be pretty accurate and effective, especially with guns that spray anyway ex. m3 shotgun.
                    "We can not ensure success, but we can deserve it." - John Adams
                    "Sometimes I guess there just aren't enough rocks." - Forrest Gump

Comment

I would try to keep the gophering limited as it is a bit unrealistic and annoying. That means popping up and down repeatedly.

- -

Comment

added: how often does this happen? This is the first time this has really come up and we've been playing this HOW LONG? So while I understand the problem, i think that this isn't going to be coming up very often.

Add to that the fact that accuracy is severly undermined and there is SOME realism in shooting while at a ladder...

I think problem is pretty much solved?
                        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                        " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                          added: how often does this happen? This is the first time this has really come up and we've been playing this HOW LONG? So while I understand the problem, i think that this isn't going to be coming up very often.

Add to that the fact that accuracy is severly undermined and there is SOME realism in shooting while at a ladder...

I think problem is pretty much solved?
                          It's not a problem atm.

- -

Comment

Agreed, it isn't really that much of a problem, this is really just for future notice. But as stated already, spraying weapons pretty much destroy the accuracy difference.

Comment

I was spotting the vent above the hostages once and spotted a CT. I shot and got a headshot. Feeling this was totally ridiculous I will never do it again.Nor will I try to spell that word.

FUN FUN

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X