Flashes and Grenades, A Guide to Counter-Strike’s Throwables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashes and Grenades, A Guide to Counter-Strike’s Throwables

Grenades are a very useful tool for both offensive and defensive teams, whether for personal use or to execute team tactics. However, the very nature of grenades makes them a double edged sword. The best of plans can be ruined and the greatest of advantages can be reversed by a bad grenade. By understanding the basic mechanics and uses of grenades, an otherwise average team can become a formidable opponent.

I wrote this with both old and new players in mind, and hope that you can take something away from it. If you already know all of this, that’s great, and I’d like to hear what you have to say, including suggestions and possible additions.

Also I would like to thank DON.MAC for his help in developing this.

-----------------------------------------------

General rules for all grenades:

1) Always announce when you're throwing, what projectile type it is, and where it is going. This is the easiest step to execute, but often the most overlooked.

2) For all projectiles, the distance and arc can be affected by how you move when you throw it. If you run forward while releasing a grenade, it will travel a long distance. If you crouch or back up as you throw it, the grenade will travel a shorter distance.

3) Everyone has their off day. Sometimes people just can't throw for the life of them, and teammates will be flashed or hit with grenades accidentally. If it was you, be sure to apologize. If you were on the receiving end, remember people make mistakes and try not to get too upset. It could very well be you doing it next time so keep that in mind.

Flash Bangs

1) The most important thing to remember when throwing flashes is that communication is essential. There isn't any reason for teammates to get flashed by each other.

2) The time between when a flash is thrown and when it goes off is constant. It does not matter if the flash bounces off anything or not.

3) Flashes work best in confined areas. Tossing a flash into a wide open area isn't as effective because people will recover from it much quicker.

4) Have a good reason to throw a flash. This sounds dumb but sometimes people will just throw flashes at enemies and hope the enemy will throw down their weapons and run in circles.

Flashes for offensive purposes:

Flashes do not last very long. A direct hit will wear off in a matter of seconds. For a flash to be as effective as possible, you and your teammates must get in after it goes off and eliminate the enemies in the room before the effect runs out. Check the corners of the room, and any spots that an enemy might try hiding while blind. If you are not the one throwing the flash, be ready to go into the room when it goes off. Once your teammate throws it, listen for the sound of the flash going off, and then go in.

Example: I've seen this more times that I can count... people throw flashes and wait for a bit before going in. This makes the flash useless, and hurts you because now the enemy knows you're coming in. Flashes are meant to surprise people, so surprise them!

Note: Knowing which places on each map to flash can be tricky. Some places that you think make a good flash point are sometimes bad. For example, hallways and rooms with multiple exits and objects give the receiving party a chance get cover or to escape the flash entirely. There isn't a good solution to this other than practice to see what works and what doesn't. Whatever you decide, don't do the same thing every round.

Flashes for defensive purposes:

On the defensive side, flashes can be as useful as on the offensive. Using flashes can help slow down the offense, giving your team enough time to get backup into the threatened area.

Flashes as a diversion:

Either offense or defense can use flashes as a diversion. This isn't always an effective strategy but it can work nonetheless. Throw a flash at one particular point where the enemy expects you, and then go the other way. At the very least it will distract some of the opposing team and give you some time to execute your strategy.

How to actually throw the flash:

The most effective flashes are those that the enemy does not hear or see coming.

Now that you know the basics of throwing flashes as the points above cover, you should know how to actually throw the flash. You can throw a flash into a room and expect that it will blind any occupants in the room. However, due to objects and walls in the room, there are a number of chances for the recipients to escape the effect. Also the time between the release and the explosion is long enough that if any enemies see or hear it bounce, they will have ample time to get cover from it, or at least turn around to reduce the effect.

A good tactic when throwing flashes is to throw it in such a way so that it will be off the ground when it explodes. A flash that explodes at shoulder level will catch more people than a flash at ground level in a room with couches, desks, or any other objects which could shield a player in an otherwise open area.

If at all possible, you should try to throw the flash at your target without bouncing it off anything. Flashes have a distinct bounce noise which is a huge tip-off to the enemy of what is coming. This can be difficult when flashing a small room, and therefore it isn't always possible. In these cases, just try to throw it so that the time between the bounce noise and the explosion is minimized.

HE Grenades

1) The most important thing to remember when throwing grenades is that communication is essential. There isn't any reason for teammates to get hit from friendly grenades.

2) The time between when a grenade is thrown and when it explodes is constant.

Grenade use can be broken down into a few categories:

Grenades for suppressing advance:

Suppressing grenades are used to slow down the enemy's advance. A good example of this is counter-terrorists tossing grenades into the tunnel at bombsite B on de_dust2 before the terrorists come out. Essentially what this does is force the terrorists to retreat back into the tunnels to avoid the explosion. Usually what happens is one CT will toss a grenade, then a few seconds later another, and so on. While this can be an effective tactic, it sometimes is a waste of a grenade beyond the first. Since the enemy usually retreats from the first grenade, any subsequent grenades after that will cause little to no damage since the enemy has already fallen back.

Grenades for weakening enemies:

This category is closely related to the previous. Recall the example in suppressing grenades on de_dust2. The counter-terrorists tossed sequential grenades into the hallway to force the terrorists to retreat. Since the first grenade usually pushes them back, any other grenades will fail to cause significant damage. Instead, if the counter-terrorists all toss grenades into the tunnel at once, the terrorists will not have a chance to retreat in time before taking massive damage. With this tactic you don't expect to actually kill anyone, but you expect the enemy will be weakened enough to make for a quick gun fight.

Grenades for killing enemies:

This case is for when you want to straight out kill an enemy with a grenade. This is different from the previous two cases, in that here you expect to get a kill from your grenade. The difference in execution of this tactic is simple; instead of throwing your grenade before engaging the enemy, you throw it after. A single grenade cannot kill an undamaged enemy, so you want to save your grenade for mid to late firefight. Once your enemy has taken a few bullets, the odds of your grenade finishing them off are much better.

How to actually throw the grenade:

Some of the principles of throwing flashes also apply to grenades. Grenades have a distinct bounce noise, so if you don't bounce it off anything, an enemy will not hear it coming. Keep in mind sometimes you want the enemy to hear it, such as certain cases of suppressing advance. When throwing a grenade, keep in mind the different ways to change its distance, such as crouching or walking backwards. It takes practice to get a good feel for throwing grenades, but once you are good enough, you can put a grenade just about anywhere you want.

Walls, furniture, and other obstructions can shield enemies from grenade damage. Use your knowledge of the map layouts to help you decide where to place your grenades.

Always check your radar and make sure there aren't any teammates near your target before you throw. Sometimes your team will want to hit a target that you are close to. In this case, fall back and let them strike the target. As long as you and your team communicate clearly, you will be able to coordinate this so that no one takes any friendly fire.

Re: Flashes and Grenades, A Guide to Counter-Strike’s Throwables

Did you author this?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Very nice!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        Did you author this?
        Yes, I did.

Comment

Originally posted by rs_j
          Yes, I did.
          That's remarkable.

Many thanks for the contribution. :)
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Very good! Thanks!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

HE grenades are great for when you have enganged an enemy and they retreat to reload or for cover... you can usually destroy them with a well placed toss to their hiding spot without exposing yourself...

nice read :)

Comment

Well written.
                Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Thanks for the post. I'd like to add this tip:

never round a corner for the first time with a grenade equipped

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
                    Thanks for the post. I'd like to add this tip:

never round a corner for the first time with a grenade equipped
                    Aww, c'mon... I need other people to do that... I'm tired of being the only one that shows up to a gunfight armed with a grenade...
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Saw this the other day: I tossed a grenade out the window (as a terrorist) into that dumpster area(on Havana). Apparenly a CT had also tossed one up into the window. The two grenades hit perfectly and my own grenade came back at me. Im not sure what the lesson is, but it was funny as hell...and I lost about 82 pts.

Comment

Hey, can you still get headshots with flashbangs?

Comment

I too on Havana have had the fortune of throwing a grenade at HardCandy while he threw his at me, they hit in midair but but wound up bouncing away and exploding harmlessly away from both of us. It saved many on the CT team the damage, I just wish I had a demo of it :)
                          "There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who know binary and those who do not. "

Comment

Originally posted by _Ender_
                            Hey, can you still get headshots with flashbangs?
                            No, they'll bounce off of people, but they will inflict a tiny amount of damage. Just yesterday I tried to throw one into the hall at bombsite B on Dust2 and my teammate ran in front of me. I hit him in the back of the head and inflicted one point of damage on him and blinded my teammates for a split second... :icon23:
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Once, sniper i think through a grenade up the hole in havana, just as i was accidentally falling down, and it bounced off my feet as i landed on his head, then an explosion and i was dead. thought i had been slayed. Also one REALLY bad day of nading, when i had naded my team many times earlier in the map, we were planning what to do at the spawn, and while selecting a q weapon, accidentally threw my grenade right in the middle of the entire team... o_o

at that point i just wanted to crawl into a corner and not be seen...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X