Setting your rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Setting your rates

wait... um, what are rates, what do they do, and what should they be set on my computer of:

9700 Pro
    1.9 Ghz athlon 2600+
    a gig of ram
    os Windows XP
    Abit uGuru motherboard

roughly 340 to 360 kps connection.

Comment

Hey Tempus, or anyone. What do u recomend i set my rates ?

My computer has the following:

GeForce 6600
      intel 1.9 Prcessor (i think, i dont no !!)
      512 ram
      Windows XP Home
      ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
      and 2mb Internet Conection (ADSL)

Thx

Comment

Hey Tempus, or anyone. What do u recomend i set my rates ?

My computer has the following: (for real)

GeForce 6600
        intel pent4 2.4 clocked to 2.6 Prcessor
        512 ram (replacing with a Gig in about a month)
        Windows XP Home
        ASUS P4S8X-X Motherboard
        and 2mb Internet Conection (ADSL)

Thx

Comment

I have no idea what setting your rates are but it sounds cool, can some one tell me this stuff in laymens terms?

Comment

Heres a tip while in game....

Go into console and type the command with no value... it will tell you what it does and what the default value is.. such as..

cl_cmdrate

It will tell u what it does and what default is... in case u dont like what u changed it to , now you know what to change it back to :)
            Dizlor

Comment

and its also a good idea to create a notpad document and name it, autoexec.cfg and put ur commands in there :)
              Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by lucky15234
                I have no idea what setting your rates are but it sounds cool, can some one tell me this stuff in laymens terms?
                I second this topic in English.

Comment

Setting your rates is like telling the game how fast it can send and recieve data so you get less lag. For some unknown reason CS:S gives you 56k rates so you get lag. Natural Selection is also like that. Granted I found rates to fix that. I would play more CS:S if I could find good rates. The ones Sniper posted before didn't help my situation.
                  RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                  TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                  7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                  "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                  "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

I believe that if you right click on the STEAM icon, and go to settings, you can change your internet connection speed. This in turn changes your in-game rates.

Comment

actually since the latest update Valve strongly recommends that you use default rates or the hitboxes and server lag will be weird.. I havnt used default rates in 3 and a half years.. and i noticed a difference since the update and have changed to default and have seen an improvement in hit detection. :) so default might be the best bet now.

my previous rates before this were as follows(and noticed a HUGE difference in weapon accuracy and a bit less recoil, till now):

rate 25000
                      cl_rate 25000
                      cl_cmdrate 101
                      cl_updaterate 101

now there is no cl_rate anymore.. so i went back to default.

Gogeta
                      Dizlor

Comment

o and btw.. i was running these rates on an AMD 1900+ w/ RAdeon 8500LE 128mb :D still was getting 60s and 70s on stress test.. now I get 120-140 with AMD64 3000+ w/Radeon x700Pro 256mb
                        Dizlor

Comment

I have a:

AMd 3500 2.2ghz 939socket MB
                          2Gig ram
                          6800GT 256k Card

I have tried to set my frames but I still seem to have a problem with reaction time/visual recognition...dunno...maybe it's just me.
                          Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed.
                          Sir Winston Churchill
                          British politician (1874 - 1965)

Comment

I thought some people might find this useful.

rate [0-99999] - Sets the max bytes/sec the host can receive data (Download). Now I have read tons of articles on this value over the years and each one basically comes up with a different answer on what this value should be. So I went onto a server and tested different values to see what worked best for me. I used values of 1000, 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, and 25000, and did not notice any major differences in my ping, loss, or choke. Now the server I was on could have had a max rate set for clients, but I would have thought the 1000 would have been too low, but it wasn't.
                            (Recommendation - All I can say is try different values until you feel like you have the best connection possible. Most articles say between 10000 - 20000 for a cable internet connection.)

cl_rate [0-99999] - Sets the max bytes/sec the host can send data (Upload). Once again, I have read tons of articles on this value over the years and each one basically comes up with a different answer on what this value should be. So I went onto a server and tested different values to see what worked best for me. I used values of 1000, 2500, 5000, 75000, 10000, and 20000, and did not notice any major differences in my ping, loss, or choke. Now once again, the server I was on could have had a max cl_rate set for clients, but I would have thought the lowest value of 1000 would have been too low, but it wasn't.
                            (Recommendation - Try different values until you feel like you have the best connection possible. Most articles say between 7500 - 10000 for a cable internet connection.)

cl_updaterate [0-999] - Number of packets per second of updates you are requesting from the server (Download). This is another one of those mystifying values that everyone has a theory on, but each theory is a little different. This command is the number of packets per second that is requested from the server. Now the server can put a cap on this value, and the last time I checked the default was "60". So you can play around with this setting, but anything over 60 will probably not show any improvement.
                            (Recommendation - Try different values until you feel like you have the best connection possible. Most articles say between 50 - 100 for a cable internet connection. I use 85, which works fine for a server capped at 60.)

cl_cmdrate [0-999] - Max number of command packets sent to server per second (Upload). This should be in proportion to your cl_updaterate. Normally your download is 1/4th to 1/8th your upload, but once again you will read numerous articles that show these 2 values either the same or very close.
                            (Recommendation - Try different values until you feel like you have the best connection possible. Most articles say between 30 - 100 for a cable internet connection. I use 45, which works fine for me.)

cl_cmdbackup [0-999] - For each command packet, how many additional history commands are sent (helps in case of packet loss). By increasing this value you will also increase your ping, but you will send more accurate data to the server, which allows for the server to send out your information more accuately.
                            (Recommendation - Try different values until you feel like you have the best connection possible. Most articles say between 1 - 500 for a cable internet connection. I use 5 and haven't seen much of a difference between 5 and 50.)

cl_interp [0-0.1] - Enable/Disable whether you will interpolate object positions starting this many seconds in past
                            This is a valuable setting if you are having stuttering issues with cl_smooth off. This value is supposed to be in relation to your ping. So if you have a ping of 100, then your cl_interp should be 0.1 and a ping of 50 should have an cl_interp of 0.05.
                            (Recommendation - Leave this at the default value unless you are having hitbox issues, then try to align this setting with your ping)

cl_interpolate [0/1] - Interpolate entities on the client. Changing this setting will give you somewhat of a jumpy screen, so you may want to test this on "1" which should be the default, then "0".
                            (Recommendation - Leave it at the default value unless you are having extreme hitbox issues.)

cl_lagcomp_errorcheck [0/1] - Player index of other player to check for position errors. When on, this will help with your shot accuracy by checking for position errors. This will only be useful if you can aim in the first place.
                            (Recommendation - Leave this at the default value or change this to "1")

net_channels - Shows net channel info, a great way to determine your optimal network settings

net_maxfragments - Max fragment bytes per packet. Mine is defaulted to 1280 bytes.
                            (Recommendation - Leave this value at the default value unless you are experiencing severe choke or bad pings)

Comment

gave me about 10 more frames, thanks

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X