Tactical Realism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactical Realism

As i've mentioned in previous posts, my FPS background is mainly from playing in a Tactical Realism MOHAA (Medal of Honor) clan. The [5W-SS] also focused on team work and tactics, but we also attempted to add realism to the game play. This entailed such things as not only realism mods applied to the accuracy of weapons (dmg & rps), but also rules against constant running, climbing on ledges (firing a high powered sniper rifle or automatic weapon, from a 6 inch ledge, is a bit silly.) and jumping from high places. The latter is what i would like to discuss here. Jumping from what appears to be a 50' high castle wall to the ground below is more than a little ridiculous. Even to defuse a bomb. Realistic, no. Possible in a video game, yes. I do understand that we have enough trouble trying to enforce the rules as they are, and adding this may seem an absurd and unnecessary proposition to most of you; I would just like to initiate a conversation on this, and see where it goes. In MOHAA, at least, the maps were a lot more fun to play when you didn't have people jumping out of two story windows while firing an STG44 at your head....it made them more...3D...i guess....and definitely led to more realistic gaming. Perhaps simply implementing a mod that causes more dmg for jumping from the places mentioned, or one that decreases your movement if you break your leg....something that would at least penalize this radical behavior or make us think twice.

I guess the question is, do we want to even bother attempting to add realism to the game, or is everyone satisfied with focusing simply on tactics and team play?

In closing, I would just like to say that i am NOT criticizing anyone who performs the aforementioned actions....presently they are perfectly legal and we ALL do them. I'm also NOT complaining....i know: "It's just a game" and not real life, and maybe that's how it should remain.

Dirt013
    Dirt013

Re: Tactical Realism

This reminds me... one time on Piranesi, i was on the roof at the very top and I accidentally started to fall all the way down to the side opposite A. All the way. I hit the ground for 0 damage, looked around, heart pumping, then happily went on to a glocky death.

Comment

It was I who jumped off the top of piranisi, killed the last T while in freefall and then defused the bomb. I must say I was very proud of myself after that one. :)

If it makes you feel any better the fall took me from 100hp to 1hp, so that's the most extreme example of my kamakazie divebomb attack you will ever see.

The damage from weapons is not realistic but neither is the accuracy. I think they balance out somewhat. The game lets you swing your weapon around and still get hits when you would probably miss but the number of shots needed to kill someone sort of balances out as if the first few had actually missed. If you look at things that way then there's no need for slow movement when low on health. The bottom line, though, is that its not a simulation game and I think the gameplay is better off for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
        ...no need for slow movement when low on health.
        I agree....i don't think we should slow movement when low on health....only when you take dmg from a fall, and hear that SNAP as you break your leg.
        Dirt013

Comment

You should look into games like Ghost Recon, they've got the hyper-realism that CS doesn't have.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
            This reminds me... one time on Piranesi, i was on the roof at the very top and I accidentally started to fall all the way down to the side opposite A. All the way. I hit the ground for 0 damage, looked around, heart pumping, then happily went on to a glocky death.
            I jumped off the bed in T spawn on militia and took 4 dmg and died once...sucked and was funny @ the same time
            E-[h4x] TG CS:S Tourny Champs

Comment

Its actually pretty easy to get down there without taking damage - just jump to the rocks under the corner window, then to the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
                It was I who jumped off the top of piranisi, killed the last T while in freefall and then defused the bomb. I must say I was very proud of myself after that one. :)

If it makes you feel any better the fall took me from 100hp to 1hp, so that's the most extreme example of my kamakazie divebomb attack you will ever see.
                I was there and I remember that.

And despise you :O

Comment

Raven Shield is also very realistic in that regard. If you get hit in the leg your are gimped for the round walking around slowly dragging that foot.

Also, the weapons are more realistic in range and accuracy, and the damage more realistic as well. If you get hit with basically one or two bullets you are finished.
                  Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                  Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

not only do i rember the roof dive you did in that map, i was the t you owned from the air, never before have i hated non-realism games so much as i did at that moment.
                    frowning takes 47 muscles, and smiling only take 17, but sitting there with a zombie like stare on your face takes 0, we have a winner.

The fights are so bitter because the stakes are so small. -watch words of academia

Comment

Pardon me, but I must expell a laugh.

Comment

its funny at the moment but at the time when it happend it was like WTFNOWAYTHATIMPOSSIBLEHTFDIDYOUDOTHATWTFWTFWTF. i think it was a hs too.
                        frowning takes 47 muscles, and smiling only take 17, but sitting there with a zombie like stare on your face takes 0, we have a winner.

The fights are so bitter because the stakes are so small. -watch words of academia

Comment

Being directly above you it probably was a headshot. In retrospect it was pretty reckless but if you had made it to the cover you were heading for I probably wouldn't have been able to defuse.

Comment

Dirt I like your idea and your right.

the simple fact is, unless all the T's are dead and you have 100 health, it's absurd to jump from the roof. You'll be left very close to useless for getting in and killing any T or defusing. Many times i've diffused a bomb when getting shot, just in time to for the diffuse before i die.

- -

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X