Rainbow 6 Siege: Should you buy it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rainbow 6 Siege: Should you buy it?

Good video from LevelCapGaming where he discusses the merits of Rainbow 6 Siege and whether or not it's worth your hard earned cash.

Re: Rainbow 6 Siege: Should you buy it?

[MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION], stop posting videos that make me want to spend more money!

Interestingly a new patch dropped for R6:Siege today. As someone who has the game [MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION], what are your personal thoughts? I like what LvlCap says about supporting the game because of the promise it has but he also points out what the issues are. I am torn now. I like the concept, really enjoyed the weekend of gameplay I got in a few weeks ago and would love to be able to support this game.
    sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=44533]hil3illy[/MENTION]

Once I've dug into the multiplayer properly I will post up my impressions. Need to get some games with randoms and TGrs to give it a fair appraisal.

So far I'm really, really enjoying it and the potential for coordinated teamplay is huge.

Comment

Dang it that means I'm going to spend some money then. Even to just support the idea behind the game. I also like the quickness of the matches. Easy to sit down and play while the little ones are having their naps.
        sigpic

Comment

[MENTION=44533]hil3illy[/MENTION]

Well I don't want to be responsible in any way for fiscal irresponsibility on your part but if you were thinking about it anyway then yes, it would be great to see you in game mate lol!

I'll be dipping my hands into the murky waters of random public play tonight and will feedback on how it went. I am fairly certain that I will receive a first class shoeing however from the R6 reddit the general consensus is that the R6 community is actually pretty welcoming and fun to play with. Here's hoping.

Comment

Update.

Just played some rounds with random public players and it was fantastic!!!!! Seriously I really hope more TG members give this a chance as the potential for tactical teamwork is massive, just huge. With the pubbies I was playing with only a few spoke on comms, I think in part due to language barriers, but the game itself kinda forces basic teamwork anyway. It's pretty clever that way with the natural counters for attackers vs defenders and the co-dependencies between players on the same team.

Without doubt this is the first mp game I have played in a long while where the teamwork is pretty much there from the get go, with random players, because of the game's inherent design structure. I managed to play a few rounds with a team with a couple of talkers and they were giving proper callouts, using their gear effectively to support the team and playing smart. Pretty impressive. I don't doubt it's possible to have absolutely awful rounds due to disorganized and non-communicative team but I haven't had one so far, in fact the worst round I had (aside from one chap fragging the hostage) was due to me trying to revive two bad guys I had dropped due to a pile up of friendlies and hostiles lol).

Again I really hope more TG'rs give this a go as the thought of a coordinated assault with full comms and smart play is something I am drooling over.

Comment

[MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION].....sold damn you. I'll see you on this coming week.
              sigpic

Comment

hil3illy

Epic, can't wait. Hopefully we can convince more TG'rs to give this a try as this is without doubt one of those games with the most TG potential I have played in a long time. If anyone is a fan of the old Rainbow 6 games or SWAT this is the game. Seriously I am hard critic and this game, played right, has massive potential.

Comment

[MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION]... Quit waffling and give us your opinion of this game.

Comment

I've been enjoying the matches I've managed to play. When a team communicates it can be amazing fun.

Waiting in silence in a room with 3-4 other people as the enemy closes in and getting NO communication from them... That's as depressing as it is terrifying :)

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                      [MENTION=17094]Wicks[/MENTION]... Quit waffling and give us your opinion of this game.
                      [MENTION=34009]ChiefBoatsRet[/MENTION] yes of course lol!

I think it's a fantastic game and I would highly recommend it to anyone at TG. If you enjoyed titles like SWAT this is the nearest you'll find these days. It's an intelligent game, intelligently designed. It's not really a twitch Shooter, prep, planning, positioning and effective use of abilities/equipment is much more important.

I've played a good few mp rounds now and had a great time with random public players. They all worked towards the objective, played smart 90% of the time and demonstrated teamwork and coordination even when they didn't use a mic. People revived each other, covered, didn't duplicate tasks, it was really surprising and refreshing.

I was actually really shocked at the quality pick up games and can only imagine how engaging and satisfying playing with a full squad of TG will be.

Full disclosure. I would not and have not recommended a game I don't fully believe in as I would feel bad in conning anyone into parting with their hard earned simpy so I might have another person to jump in game with. Just won't do that. So this is a solid, honest recommendation. My only caveat would be that considering the scope of the game it is surprisingly hard on the old PC so don't expect to run this maxed out unless your system is pretty mustard. Not a huge problem though as you can simply dial down some of the more taxing settings to get the fps you want.

It plays brilliantly, the rounds are perfect at 5-7 minutes a piece including prep. It has a fascinating chess like quality with the different operators and their natural counters. Really is one of the best mp games I've played in a while.

Apologies Chief, bit of waffle snuck back in there.:icon_lol:

Comment

Is the pace of the game one that a senior person with arthritic hands and not as reliable vision (don't know who that might be) can keep up with? I used to play a lot of Swat back in the day when I was a youngster in my sixties.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefBoatsRet View Post
                          Is the pace of the game one that a senior person with arthritic hands and not as reliable vision (don't know who that might be) can keep up with? I used to play a lot of Swat back in the day when I was a youngster in my sixties.
                          I'd encourage you to watch some game play videos to get a feel for it. It's pretty fast paced and many of the engagements take place through walls, peaking through tiny murder holes.

Comment

I think a more 'experienced warrior' could definitely play it and enjoy it. The shooting is much less about running about and spinnin 360 no scope nonsense (almost guaranteed death lol) and more about slowly shifting position and peeking till you have an angle/shot.

If you just burst in to a room on your own you might, might get the first guy opposite the breach. Hell if you were amazing or lucky and they were looking the wrong way you might even get two but the third guy will kill you.

A single round to the head will kill you, any calibre. Many of the walls can be shot through or have murder holes poked through them. This game is much more about coordination, planning and execution than solo mlg skills. I'm sure you'll see occasional solo miracles, hell I've pulled off a few kills in a row and I'm new but its fairly rare. It's not the main route to success.

Most games are won by people working together. A lot of it is about being mutually supportive, as one guy pushes you pull back to cover him. One guy reinforces a wall then you use your specialized equipment to electrify that barricade which stops the other team using their special breach charge (the only thing that can cut through that type of defense). All of which are limited, so you have to talk/think about who's doing what and where.

Best advice watch a few of the videos in this forum and see what you think. If you do decide it's worth a shot I'll happily run through what little I've learned so far with you.

Comment

As Noyava says it can be fast paced but I would say that's its mostly the exchange of fire that's quick, at least that's how I've been playing and what I've seen.

What a lot of players aim to do is put themselves in an advantageous position so that a small movement brings their target into their sight picture, whilst exposing as little of themselves as possible. Think of it like aggressive camping lol. Your trying to get a clear line of sight into the room/area. However you can leverage an advantage by spotting and using the tools available to you, as you would in real life.

A huge part of the game is continually gathering Intel, either by using equipment or sight and sound. As an attacker in a hostage/bomb disposal you're trying to locate your objective, where the enemy is and what defenses they have deployed. Then you plan on the fly how you are going to clear the building/room.

The game is very much about playing smart and playing as a team. Much of the solo stuff I have seen is just a good player getting the jump on a bad squad/team. 9 out of 10 times that good player would get immediately killed by a better team as they play smarter, cover each other and do a better job gathering and sharing Intel.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X