Red Orchestra 2 Beta Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Orchestra 2 Beta Impressions

Let's hear what you have to say about the Beta now that you've played.

|

Re: Red Orchestra 2 Beta Impressions

From a BF2142/BC2 player:
    - realism, realism, realism! (not a judgement either way - just to prepare your expectations, this isn't Q3)
    - Arm movements that mimic the human body are a great realism touch. For me, it just makes the controls feel awkard.
    - I began by thinking that Riflemen are nearly useless, but having considered the game's pace, I can see how they fit in.
    - The controls are _really_ awkward. I've played KF and I'm used to a bit of TW 'weirdness' in terms of controls, but almost everything feels like it ought to be rebound.
    - The maps are gorgeous (hush up Damonte, we heard you the first time :))
    - There are so many nifty little features and featurelets and featurechildren that it's going to take me days just to feel competent with the game mechanics. I love it!
    - The "one life" game mode feels too sudden.
    - I am completely confused by the maps. I love it! It's great to learn a new map, new set of rules.
    - The squad/class system is also really awkward. I spent 5-10 minutes figuring it out, then gave up and just selected a class.
    - The firefights are intense as all hell. Most of the game is spent in movement, but once a firefight ensues, you can bet your bottom dollar your landlord and/or significant other will be checking up on you and asking about the robber you must have just murdered with a fork.

Overall: fun, interesting, confusing.
    Funnest moment of my brief time playing so far: ran through a map, completely lost, and finally ended up above 2-3 enemies. I cooly backed off, threw in a frag, and enjoyed the points.
    Worst moment: Spawned in, ran forward, got killed, and sat watching the screen for 15 minutes. The "one life" mode didn't sit well with me. After I've figured out the game mechanics, by all means. First night? A bit too early.

Final comment? THIS GAME IS GOING TO ROCK ON TG!

Comment

Anyone try out the armor? I'm curious how the human crews stack up to the AI filling various roles. Also if it's just as easy to get one hit kills as it is in RO:Ostfront...

Comment

+ This has all the intensity of RO1 with less awkwardness. However, like Zhohar mentioned, there's a lot of adjusting to be done. TWI DOES controls DIFFERENTLY from other FPS. For example, I'll be rebinding prone to Z...
        + The Weapons seem more controllable without being too easy. Easy to learn the basics, hard to master. Basically, you know which end is the killin' one. Each weapon feels SO unique.
        + The supression system is GREAT! I much prefer this to what other games have attempted. The "flash" indicators were something I was concerned about, but they're not gamey at all.. They do feel like Peripheral vision, more than I expected
        + Spawn on SL possible?
        + Bolt action rifles are so rewarding
        + The bleed out system is cool, and the patching can be a frantic and desperate attempt
        + The cover system is great! Does not feel like "other" cover based shooters.
        + The indication of which cover is strong vs weak is great to help players learn.

++ The sounds!
        ++ The commo rose!

(Most of these minus' are really just me being confused and new, most likely)
        - The Squad system seems clunky
        - Don't know exactly how voip works
        - Squad markers seem a bit confusing right now
        Skud

Comment

Overall very good, if your looking for something between and COD and a ARMA this is the SWEET middle. Only complaints are anything not revolving around the actually FPS experience. Server browser, in game menus, and squad management. All seem clunky and not very well thought out. The tank experience so far for me has been a poor one, but at this early stage I'm chucking that one up to newness to the system.

Comment

It took a bit to get oriented with everything(squad/role selection and controls are an issue) but I was starting to get the hang of things by the time I logged off. I mostly played the squad leader role where I was constantly using an SMG. I found myself mostly staying out of combat unless I was in a building. Out in the open I couldn't get much done(as expected with SMG) and I found keeping the spawn up was the biggest weapon I had available.

I kinda hated having to play countdown at first since being new lead to quick deaths. Watching the timer a lot isn't fun when you just want to get time with the game to get used to it. However by the end of the night I was having more fun with it.

Unless I missed it, I only noticed what appeared to be team wide voip.
            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

I only got to play a couple rounds, and was pretty disoriented at first. I kept having to adjust my mouse sensitivity, but that is just a new game.

I played just enough to get a few kills and actually figure out what was going and try to help achieve an objectives, but there is a lot for me to figure out. Trying to get ammo was a real mystery, but the commo rose seemed ok..and I think I accidentally remapped some keys, so hopefully tonite I will get those bugs worked out and be able to get more of a feel for it..

Comment

I love the feedback. I was only able to play for twenty minutes before I had to depart last night. I did change the maplist around to be about 70% Territory and 30% Countdown. Not sure if it's working, I'll check later tonight.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

I agree with a lot of your sentiments. The infantry part of the game is amazing. They really nailed it. The tanks...not so much. I was totally disoriented trying to tank. I really wish they would have stuck with the RO1 style of tanking.

Comment

I know that I right off the bat changed and remapped my keys, at least the important ones.

I feel that the settings that we started off with were great, I had to keep checking my targets and getting PID, I also kept on forgetting that as a rifle man that it was bolt action and then on top of that reloading!!! :)

I think by the end of playing the first evening session, we started to get our teamwork down, which was nice and seemed really fluid and amazing at times. There was one point where there were a couple of IHS players on my team and we did some bounding over-watch flawlessly over the bridge into the apartments without comms!!!! :)

As with VOIP, I kept on hearing people people and really couldnt distinguish between that and TS, will try and mute TS this evening when I am on and try and remap the von key, I think it was default 'V' but not sure.

All in all I found this game to be well worth the wait. The mechanics of not being able to prone in certain areas, the cover system, and the overall tactics that are going to be needed when we great a full 64 server loaded is going to blow my mind. I really felt like I was in a battle and some of the firefights with the suppression system got my heart a racing!!!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Waste of $40 dollars to be honest, peer pressure sucks.

Comment

RO2 is not for people who give into peer pressure. Just a warning to other folks.
                        Skud

Comment

Well, initially I was meh. But now, after a HUGE TG raid on another server, it was epic. We used just bolt action rifles, and systematically destroyed teams for a few hours. It was crazy. Really digging it, and my shooting is good now!

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                            Care to be a little more descriptive. What worked, what doesn't, and why?

Other players might want to know exactly what it is about this game that does not suit you. Descriptive feedback is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                              Yikes. I think the hype for the game is genuine excitement on the part of players. People posting that they will get it is a way to communicate to the community who will be playing. Forty dollars is a lot to some, but to others it is a mindless purchase. The promises of 64 player combat is worth a shot.

Sent from my Droid.

“Up, sluggard, and waste not life; in the grave will be sleeping enough!” Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X