WTB: Better squad-leading and better squad-member coordination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB: Better squad-leading and better squad-member coordination

Have only played a few hours of the beta thus far, and so far it's been a little frustrating. A lot of that is just stubbing my toes because I'm still learning what the different modes are, getting a feel for the controls, etc - but more than all that it's just a lack of good, coordinated teamwork. I've been in squads where we're at least near each other; that's a good first step. But we're all still basically lone-wolfing while near each other :D

So, for those of you that have played it a bit more than I, what are some tips for aspiring SL's? And how can I be a better SM?

Re: WTB: Better squad-leading and better squad-member coordination

Well I'm not SL material, and also a noob but the squads that I've had the most fun in and that have been the most successful in RO2 is all about communication. When the round starts let the squad know what objective we're focusing on. I think that alone will help keep people from just scattering to the four winds.

From there, let the squad know when you're popping smoke, or want to clear the top floor or whatever the current need or action is. You need me to run out as a distraction and get shot? Sure thing, just let me know! I recall a round where Mindkill was our SL and just by speaking up and saying that we needed more people at the fountain, the squad members just converged and was able to take and put up a good fight for the point. Especially for someone new to the TG style like myself, just that simple direction was enough to get focused.

I think people knowing what directions to cover in any particular building or the best ways to assault a specific point will come with more play time and getting to know the maps better. And this is coming from someone who really doesn't talk much in games with voicechat, but simple clear orders really make all the difference.

Comment

I agree W6 that the teamwork is a bit lacking right now. All I feel that I can do here, is to give you a run down of how my learning process has been going, what I am trying to accomplish and some of the tools that I use. I hope that you find it useful and that I don't get lambasted too badly by the community, as I am usually a better soldier instead of a leader.

I've been trying to learn the fine art of being a squad leader and was doing well (at least I think so) on the first maps of the beta, especially Fallen Fighters. With the new maps, I am still trying to learn the maps and the the best avenues of attack or the best places to post up a solid defense, along with where the enemy and my team spawns. Not to spawn camp, but rather to know where my squad would be able to intercept the main enemy force and to know where the flanking routes are. In short, knowledge of the maps is the first step in being an effective SL.

(Instead of listing the keystroke used, I will be using the name of the control listed in the Control tab under options. The default control scheme felt really weird to me and I have remapped almost all of my keys so, I do not know the default keys.)

I try to make sure to use my Command Widget to issue orders to my squad at the beginning of the round and whenever we have completed attaining an objective. Using the Command Widget to issue orders allows the squad to see what I want done when they press the Tactical View Key by placing Attack or Defend over the objective icons. (I haven't looked to see if the orders are displayed on the map or minimap) Another useful tool is the Orders Widget. This allows the SL to place a waypoint that is visible on the Tactical View as well as the map. I use this to show my squad where I want them deployed on defense or where I want them to enter an enemy held objective. Using the Orders Widget is a little difficult because the SL must be able to see the place where he wants to place the orders, exposing him to enemy fire. I believe you can also use the binoculars to issue a waypoint, as well as marking a point for an artillery strike. I've not had much practice at marking targets for artillery because I generally forget that we have a commander. It is something I am working on.

Another useful tool that I recently found out about concerning the squads is that they are broken up into 3 fireteams and that you can issue seperate orders to each fireteam. You can switch fireteams in the center of your Command Widget. I haven't had much of a chance to use this feature yet and am still trying to learn it.

Lastly is communication. As it stands right now, we have team wide VoIP that everyone knows about and the non-advertised squad VoIP (p key), along with TS. I hope that all of the VoIP options are working in the release of the game, so that we don't have to rely on TS as it is exclusive to the guest players that join us.

I think that as we learn the maps and the features of the game, it will get better. I also feel that I must apologize for my less than stellar work as SL last night.. but being the SL for Apo, W6 and Damonte kind of intimidated me.. I shall endeavor to do better.

***edit***

Sorry, I had to split for lunch and didn't get to expand much on my talk of comms. I agree with Shellfishguy (and thank you by the way!) that simply letting the squad know what is expected of them is much better than the in game tools in getting them on the same page. I have a little trouble with this as I am not yet familiar with some of the players names or the strengths and weakness of their play styles.

Lastly, the SL should mostly stay behind the lines and in cover to keep the spawn point up and running. This also helps the SL be safe so that he can look at the map frequently to see how the plan is working and if changes should be made. Sometimes it's difficult to keep the spawn point up because of the way it works. I'm not entirely sure on this but, it seems that if the SL is under direct observation by the enemy, the spawn point fails. Also, it seems that if the SL is an enemy controlled location, the spawn point fails. Hopefully more information on how the Spawn on SL function works will be released when the game goes live.

As an SM, it's vital to keep up comms. ie. contact reports, enemy movements, and any other information that may help or hinder the current strategy. This will get a lot better once all of the VoIP channels are up and running in game and once all/most of the players know the maps and basic tools in the game. Also, it should go with out saying that SM's should follow all orders that are given by the SL, no matter what. Offering an alternative to a stated plan is fine, but outright refusing to follow orders will result in that SM being asked to leave my squad.
      Last edited by Mindkill; 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM.

sigpic

Comment

really really great stuff! +rep

I need to work on my keybinds so the Command Widget and Orders Widget are usable. Didn't realize how those worked.

I think one other thing is that it's ok for SL's to be a little demanding. Don't worry about camping SM's style :)

Tonight I think I'm going to try figuring out the fireteam thing. The easiest way to do this might be just to assign two point-men and have each FT follow their guy. If you need to take a building, maybe have FT1 overwatch from across the field/street, while FT2 stacks and enters.... or something.

anyway - looking forward to exploring this... like a nice big blank canvas!

Comment

I am keeping a close eye on RO2 and its teamplay potential
          I see the 2 key factors being (1) squad dynamics (2) squad voip
          squad voip is there but not fit for purpose in the beta
          squad dynamic is a little confusing, maybe release will be better or at least easier to understand
          devs said spawn dynamic is squad members appear near the SL, like 5 m back around the corner, to give the illusion that they are reinforcements moving up to the frontline
          SM's spawn as long as these criteria in place;
          1) SL alive
          2) SL not surpressed
          3) enemy not physically very close to the SL
          4) enemy not physically very close to what would be the near by spawn point

EDIT
          the other thing that I would really like to see as an SL is a key press to a screen that shows my squad, names to kits and alive/dead, even where they are on map

Comment

Ahh, thanks for clearing up the criteria for spawning on the SL, Silver!

And I completely agree on your EDIT. In addition to that, I would like to be able to issue orders via the map, whether it be an attack/defend order or a waypoint.

sigpic

Comment

I would like a SL to have the ability to lock the squad, invite people, and kick people. Maybe it is my old way of thinking, but I like to have control of my squad when I SL.

Comment

its all a wait and see game now, only 6 days to release ! fun times ahead :)

Comment

I realize I made a mistake in my wall o' text above concerning how Command Widget orders are displayed on the map and Tactical View. When the SL places an order, it does not put Attack/Defend over the objective icon.. Those are already there. What the Command Widget actually places is the Rally Point icon (which looks like a little white reticle) with the Fire Team number (ie. FT1 FT2 FT3).

sigpic

Comment

So at this point are people using TS more than the in-game voip? I've setup my account with the TG treamspeak server but haven't really ventured in yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shellfishguy View Post
                      So at this point are people using TS more than the in-game voip? I've setup my account with the TG treamspeak server but haven't really ventured in yet.
                      Yes, as of right now, TS is where most of the comms are taking place. I would actually prefer the comms to be made in game but, the in game voip's quality is a bit low and doesn't seem to work for everyone.

I urge everyone to make sure that they have set up their microphone properly in game.

sigpic

Comment

TS is where it's at at the moment, but I intend to config my ingame VoIP keys soon. This game has much more complicated keys than ArmA!:)

Comment

VOIP's quality is really hit or miss right now.

I have created Squad channels for ya'll to use. Get to it. :)
                          Skud

Comment

Fallen Fighters is a great map for training squads and squad leaders on as it features a straightforward layout. After just two days of playing it as both sides with Experiment as our SL, we had almost every attack and defend route down pat and everyone knew their individual jobs each time we moved from point to point.

Comment

never seen this before, spawn on machine gunner
                              http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=61435

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X