Did you know? (RO2 tips and tricks)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you know? (RO2 tips and tricks)

As expected there is a lot of hidden depth to this game. Stuff I wish I had known immediately but is buried in the quirks of the controls. So I will post some tips and I hope others will return the favor!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you know your position on the big map(m) is not exact to your position on the minimap? When trying to capture territories always check the minimap - looking at the big map you may think your in the cap radius but the minimap will often reveal your not when your near the border.

Did you know you can throw a grenade underhanded? I didn't but I just read on the tripwire forum you just hit the middle mouse button. That will come in handy.

Did you know you can fire the tank machinegun while manning the main gun? Undead mentioned that to me today - just hit the middle mouse button apparently.

...and here is one you would think everyone would know but it took me two days of beta before I noticed lol...

Did you know you can zoom(focus) in by hitting your sprint key while stationary?
    |TG-12th|mantis

Re: Did you know? (random tip thread)

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
    Did you know you can fire the tank machinegun while manning the main gun? Undead mentioned that to me today - just hit the middle mouse button apparently.
    It's whatever you have assigned for alt-fire (bayonet/melee for example). There is definitely parallax, though, so the closer your enemy is the more you have to walk the tracers onto your target rather than going off the aiming reticle.

Use "6" (by default) to change from HE to AP rounds in tank. AP for tanks, HE for infantry.

Many trees are destroyable so if they're in your line of fire you can cut them down with MGs or remove them with a tank.

If you played RO1, the tanks have stronger frontal armor but weaker turret armor in RO2.

You can hear the enemy calling in artillery if you're close to one of the radios; alert your team that you have incoming.

I used the underhand grenade lob tonight on Apartments; it's fantastic!

Comment

Mine's pretty basic, but a lot of new players seem to miss it's importance:

Press your "T" key to bring up your Tactical View. This displays where the objectives are are and which team possesses them (star for allies, cross for axis). It also shows your SL's location (white square thingy with a star in it) and the SL's orders (white reticle with FT1 FT2 FT3 over it).

sigpic

Comment

Did you know you can press and hold R (reload default) to check your ammo?

Did you know you can scope in with the sniper rifle, then press 6 to change to iron sights? This works for any weapon with ALT fire, including the static MG's on maps (reduces the rate of fire).

Did you know that Z default is the spotting key? A red dot will show up on your mini-map once spotted.

Did you know that V default is the communication rose?

Did yoy know that you can sprint backwards? Yes, you can, this seems to be the first game that allows this (unless RO1 did).
        Last edited by UnDeaD; 09-15-2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

There is even more to the magic middle mouse wheel:

When rifles, MG and snipers are sighted you can scroll back and forth to adjust the weapon sight for distance.

Also I found that clicking my middle scroll wheel like a button will do single shot on a stationary MG.

Comment

Did you know that if you use your alt-fire key while manning an MG (either stationary or your own personal gun) you can fire a single round at a time?

For those of you who have not explored the single-player mode yet I highly encourage you to give the first few missions a try because a lot of what has been presented in this thread so far can be found in the first single-player mission/tutorial. I know we all bought this game for the multi-player but an informed player is a good player :)

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
              Did yoy know that you can sprint backwards? Yes, you can this seems to be the first game that allows this.
              Doom? :)

- Sent via tapatalk. Please excuse the typos.

[Spartan 9]

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                There is even more to the magic middle mouse wheel:

When rifles, MG and snipers are sighted you can scroll back and forth to adjust the weapon sight for distance.
                Want to re-emphasize this. There have been a couple of times i've heard people talk about not hitting something they were on. I've had it happen a couple of times myself where i know i didn't miss..but didn't kill what i was shooting at. I'm wondering if i didn't hit the scroll wheel and kick my sights off. It was kind of nice to go through the hold-my-hand baby steps, tutorial at the beginning of the single player, and see all these alternate functions. Didn't know about the sight thing until i went through that walkthrough. It was kind of helpful.

Comment

Underhand is great for dropping grenades off of buildings onto troops down below. (Apartments)

Comment

Did you know that if you angle your tank 45 degrees away from an enemy tank, incoming shells have a chance to bounce off of your tank instead of penetrate your armor.
                    |TG-Irr| Laci's Ghost

Comment

Did you know, when locked in cover with a grenade, pressing mouse 2 (button for sighting guns) you will come around the wall or over your cover in the same way as when sighting so that you may throw the grenade past cover.

Comment

Here are some things that could help save lives:

1. You can cook grenades the usual way, just pull the "pin" and start counting. Grenades are 5 seconds.
                        2. Clearing rooms are critical in this game, to do it, don't go into cover right outside the doorway of the room. Doing so will expose your gun to the doorway and tip off any shooters inside if they are wary. Instead, crouch and slice or sweep the room from the doorway in a semi circle while sighting your gun. Use a grenade if there are multiple enemies.
                        3. Manual bolting your guns allows you to reload faster and fire faster than automatic reloading.
                        3a. You can reload twice in most weapons to get an extra bullet in the chamber.
                        4. Squad leaders and commanders capture points faster than normal. They also prevent capture more than normal classes. They also carry smoke and should be designating the movement of infantry with smoke.
                        5. As a commander, use mortars for short term bombardment rather than artillary. Its especially useful if your troops will be advancing to capture the territory fired upon.
                        6. Use artillery instead of mortars for more sustained suppression, especially against hardened targets such as buildings. This will make it difficult for defenders to shoot out of the building as they will be suppressed for a very very long time (or blown up). Cancel artillery when you see your troops move up within one map square of the target.
                        7. Mortars have shorter cooldown than artillery, and land more often but for a shorter duration. Mortars are also useful for killing tanks due to the shorter cooldown.
                        8. Rockets have very short cooldown and should be used for tanks or assisting troop movement.
                        9. Use recon to help you direct support fire and reveal enemy positions as often as possible.
                        10. In tank warfare, always practice hull down, or scoot and shoot methods to minimize tank exposure.
                        11. When firing at the T34 front, fire at the front engine, or right above it but below the turret for maximum damage. Turret ring hull is very strong and can take a considerable amount of shots (6+).
                        12. When firing at the T34 side, fire at the center middle right above its tracks for maximum damage (ammo storage). Or fire at the back end of the sides to destroy its engines.
                        13. Although the Panzer 4's weak spots are slightly different, aiming below the turret and firing at the front engines or the side center will still achieve maximum damage. Just remember the turret for both tanks should not be fired upon unless its the only exposed target.
                        14. You can use Q & E to adjust range sights on tanks instead of manually aiming higher depending on distance.

Comment

Re: Did you know? (RO2 tips and tricks)

Spawning on squad leaders:

1. Squad leader must not be in a contested zone (active captures happening)
                          2. Squad leader must not be in a enemy zone.
                          3. Squad leader must not be seen by enemies (LOS).
                          4. Squad leader must not be suppressed by fire.

Ticket System/Lockdown on TE maps

1. Depending on settings, a set Lockdown time is given to the attackers.
                          2. Each new previously uncaptured zone that is taken adds 3-5m to the Lockdown time.
                          3. Defenders win if lockdown time runs down to 0 (meaning they defend the next territory for a long enough duration).
                          4. The lockdown timer is removed if the attackers are on the final territory.
                          5. The lockdown timer returns if defenders can re-secure the previous territory. Lockdown time will countdown from previous duration (eg. If there was 2 minutes left, it begins at 2 again).
                          Last edited by Avs; 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Avs View Post
                            Spawning on squad leaders:

1. Squad leader must not be in a contested zone (active captures happening)
                            2. Squad leader must not be in a enemy zone.
                            3. Squad leader must not be seen by enemies (LOS).
                            4. Squad leader must not be suppressed by fire.

...snip...
                            Out of curiosity, is this information from your personal observation or is there a manual someplace? Because I have had SM's spawn on me when I was suppressed and when the enemy had LOS on me.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think it's pretty random when/if you can spawn on SL. I know on Station, for instance, I've spawned plenty of times in between my SL and the enemy as they were actively engaged in a firefight. This seems to happen in the narrow building just before the last couple of Allied CPs.

"Just let me get my bearings...ahhhh...nevermind..."

I also SL'd on Spartanovka as Axis and spent the whole round hiding far to the rear of the action and still nobody could spawn on me.

So I think it's "broken" and doesn't work as advertised, but it's not a game spoiler like VoIP being borked...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X