Server Configs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Configs

I guess now is as better time as any to bring some needed changes in my opinion.

• I would like to see names above players heads removed unless up close and personal with them. I think this will add a split second to each engagement, like in real life, so that you must get positive identification before engaging any target so as not to get a team kill.
    • I think the mini map should be disable. This allows people to have to stick together and move more as a team.
    • I feel the lockdown time needs a little tweaking. I know that I play a lot differently than most do, but I do not like being foreced (made to rush) into a fight and try and capture an objective. The added time would allow for more of tactical fight and added tactics.

I know that those a just some minor ones that I think could make a huge impact on game play for the better. It would reduce the run and gun by having added the split second to identify the targets due to the reduced names pop up feature. I feel that the mini map will also slow people down due to the fact that they would have to start moving with more cation and use more audio cues, and I feel the added time to the lockdown forcer will aid in a little better tactics to be implemented than just run run run mindlessness into the fight.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Re: Server Configs

For the purpose of this post, please pay no attention to my admin hat and consider my response as only a community members opinion.

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
    I guess now is as better time as any to bring some needed changes in my opinion.

• I would like to see names above players heads removed unless up close and personal with them. I think this will add a split second to each engagement, like in real life, so that you must get positive identification before engaging any target so as not to get a team kill.
    • I think the mini map should be disable. This allows people to have to stick together and move more as a team.
    • I feel the lockdown time needs a little tweaking. I know that I play a lot differently than most do, but I do not like being foreced (made to rush) into a fight and try and capture an objective. The added time would allow for more of tactical fight and added tactics.

I know that those a just some minor ones that I think could make a huge impact on game play for the better. It would reduce the run and gun by having added the split second to identify the targets due to the reduced names pop up feature. I feel that the mini map will also slow people down due to the fact that they would have to start moving with more cation and use more audio cues, and I feel the added time to the lockdown forcer will aid in a little better tactics to be implemented than just run run run mindlessness into the fight.
    I would also like to see the player tags removed. But, I think that we should hold off making that change for a while. Mainly to let the RO2 players get the hang of the game and to get used to identifying uniforms. Otherwise, I feel that we will end up with a massive amount of team kills and negative honor.

I am divided on the thought of removing the mini-map. On the one hand, removing it will increase the immersion level of the game, especially for tactically minded players like us. On the other hand, it could reduce the amount of cooperation from our guest players because they will have little to no idea if they are near a teammate or squad member, or if they are close to a capture/defend point. The more I think about this, the more I lean towards not removing the mini-map.. it's just too damn useful.

I think everyone will agree that the lockdown timer could be tweaked a bit. But, I would prefer there be some impetus to get the attacking team moving for the objective. There is nothing more frustrating to me than being an attacker and watching as my team defends their sniper spots.

Overall, good ideas Jack and I am interested in what the rest of the community thinks.

sigpic

Comment

My couple of cents incoming. Be aware that I have no idea what currently is and is not possible on our end settings wise, so I'm speaking from ignorance.

Removing player tags is a good idea and I see where it comes from. TK's are going to happen either way, but by removing player names we will likely force players (our own tag wearers and pubbies alike) to adapt and adjust. The uniforms are different enough in color, and the tiny mechanics like the shape of the Russian's hats versus the shape of a German's helmet, a player sprinting with their weapon held by one hand or across the chest, etc. serve to make it easy to tell the difference if a player simply pays attention. This would add a lot to the immersion. However, I think we need a middle ground and Jack hit the nail on the head with the up close and personal suggestion. If we remove player names altogether, that would remove (I think) the easiest way to tell whether someone is in your squad, and squad cohesion and teamwork in general would suffer because of it. If we can set player names to only show within a <= 10 meter radius, I'm all for that.

On to the minimap. Are we talking about the compass in the bottom right (that doesn't act like a compass at all) or are we talking about the pull up minimap that binds to M by default? If its the compass map, get rid of it. I think it's garbage and doesn't work right anyway. I suspect though that we mean the pull up minimap so I'll focus on that.
      I would like to keep the pull up minimap, for the same reasons as Mindkill. Its just too useful. On some maps I find myself pulling it up often just to get my bearings, particularly once I spawn in so that I can orient myself and figure out where the rest of my squad is. Quite frankly there have been times where I would have been lone wolfing if I hadn't had that minimap, as it became the only or best way for me to link up with my squadmates. Also, I've been using the grid references on the minimap whenever possible, and on maps with armor it helps the Anti-Tank Squad a TON if squadmates can give a grid reference on an enemy tank, rather than a relative position.

Lockdown timers do need some changes, along the lines of being longer. The thing is though, I would like to see the lockdown timer changed on individual maps, rather than just a blanket change. The reason being is that by lengthening the timer, it would force the defending team that may already be strained on some maps (like TE-Station as Soviets) to defend for an even longer amount of time. So, what I'd like to see is say a longer lockdown timer on TE-Apartments, and tweaks to the timer accordingly across other maps as we see fit.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

I would also like to see the tags removed and things go a more "realistic" way on our server settings.

Comment

I agree with the lot of you, and I poorly worded my description, I mean the small compass thing on the screen needs to go, by all means keep the M for map as it kinda forces you to take tactical decisions on when to open it up.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

I prefer the settings the way they are right now. I like the realism, but I'd still prefer game-play balance too. I tried the full realism servers, and find not having a mini-map and player names disappearing at five feet frustrating. It's just going to make squad leaders pull there hair out, trying to guess who that guy is, that's beyond that five feet.

Comment

I thought of something else that could be tweaked. Not sure if it's possible, but I would love to see the Battlefield Commission system go the way of the dinosaur.

If you don't know what it is, let me explain. If you are the top scorer on your team (or sometimes not.. it seems random on occasion), you are rewarded with a screen that says something about receiving a Battlefield Commission. This allows that player to take any role on his team. In theory it sounds great but, in practice it's used more to steal a weapon instead of replacing a bad Commander/SL/Marksmen/etc., as I'm sure it was intended.

My reasoning for wanting to get rid of the Battlefield Commission:

As many of you know, I enjoy leading a squad and I think I do fairly well. I always have orders active on the proper objective and I am always on VoIP clarifying those orders when needed. I also try and keep an eye on the map to see where my squad would best be placed and communicate my squads intentions to the rest of the team. Then all of a sudden, I find that a guest player has usurped my squad with his Battlefield Commission! So, I rejoin my old squad and see that this guest player has not changed the objective when needed, issued any orders of any kind, or done anything that would make him a good SL. When I spectate this guest player, I see him rushing around with the SMG, trying to be Rambo.

sigpic

Comment

Damonte, can you please check on the server settings for the Commander. For the past three days, the Commander has had no ability to call arty or recon. I believe it's tied into the round timer, due to the same 166649988:xxx number show in the time remaining and also for arty/recon times. Thanks.

Oh, and can we get some Gumrak lovin' included in the rotation?
                Last edited by Makarov; 09-20-2011, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Ahh, now I understand what you were talking about tonight on TS, Makarov.

These may be "stupid" questions but, better safe than sorry.

When you were trying to call in artillery, were you using the commanders radio? Did you mark a spot with your binoculars for artillery or have a spot marked by a squad leader?

sigpic

Comment

It gives no options with or without the radio. Just shows the timer number for each selection. And this is even after marking targets. Something is fubar on the server setting.

Comment

Ok. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something simple or something overlooked. It would appear that Damonte will have to field this problem after all.

sigpic

Comment

Ah nice to see this discussion started, I hope we can do this carefully and civilly :p.

Most of the suggestions written are fine with me. E.g. concerning the minimap; since I have a tactical map which is way more useful, and the minimap is not a compass which would be much more usefull...I won't miss it.

I have one key worry though, and I had so before the game even came out: being able to easily identify who is in your squad and where they are.

I left playing ARMA on tg in serious disappointement because the settings were hyper-realism. The thing is they disabled so many tools that teamwork went down the drain and was utterly poor. Some may disagree, but compared to the organisation in PR... Arma had nothing on TG. For me it was ruined by a style of player that put a realistic screenview (without nearly all hud tools) above tight teamwork and tactics.

Many people prefer a realistic as possible setting like this. I just cannot play like that. It makes everything look real but makes the job of organising very difficult on a game (ro2) in which it is already very hard to organise.

So when it comes to the nametags, I hope we will be very careful in reaching a decision.

To be concrete, what I need to be a SL at a minimum, is that when I push the tacticalview-button, I can see all my squadmembers names in a reasonable distance.

Now some have suggested 10m. In my opinion this is way too short. Your squad will often be more spread out, especially on larger maps. I think at a minimum it should be 100m, perhaps 50m, but certainly no less.

Mind you in this proposition I made (if it is possible in the game), you will not see any nametags until you press the tactical view, if you do you only see your squadmates (although seeing the other names too wouldn't hurt at all).

This is a key issue to me personally. Whatever the community chooses, this is a make-or-break issue to me. If the community decides go arma style, there will be no decent teamwork (or of the level that I call decent), and I will leave the game, or our server as I have with ArmA, with no hard feelings as it is a community decision.

Comment

All good suggestions, keep them coming! However, i want to stress too, that we should all give the game time, in its "nekked and unadulterated" state to get the best data set for making decisions on what we want. I know many times, I will have an experience in a server that will lead me to feel one way, but after a few more times, and experiencing different circumstances and playing with different people, make me change my mind.

With that being said, some of my initial impressions are that i like the names showing up. I think its helpful in the scope of a game to know who is next to you. Helpful for squad leaders, organizing an attack or defence, or knowing who to tell to get their butts to the front! I've not noticed a whole lot of times that i've had an enemy pop up a color that i wouldn't have shot at otherwise. There have been many times that one of my mates with a different headgear were saved a bullet in the brain because the color showed them as friendly. On a public server, where not all things, and or people, are immediately under our control, i think some of these aides that we built into the game are crucial to helping us achieve the organized play we are after.

The Minimap i can take or leave. I don't find it real useful, but i'm not opposed to it being there either.

I'd also love to see some sort of TG captains match. I think the ingame VOIP is one of the biggest roadblocks right now to us running as "TG as we wanna be" (was that a book by Dennis Rodman?) I wouldn't mind a set night per week organizing a scrim like setting where each squad has its own TS channel, and squad leaders talk and organize among themselves, perhaps times are extended a bit. This might give us a little jumpstart on coms until VOIP gets fixed. BUT, for me, i also don't want to sacrifice a community aspect of learning a new game with fellow TGers whom i've not had much interaction with, even if god forbid they are on the other team.

Comment

I'm enjoying the game "as is" and have tried several servers with more stringent realism settings (82ID comes to mind) and don't find the game as enjoyable. Without seeing the list of what can be played with I'm going to surprise some and think we shouldn't change anything for now. Without a true compass the mini-map does show friendlies in relation to your position. With time and familiarity with the maps and giving streets names, providing compass points for each map, understanding the landmarks, and giving the game some time to "mature" I may change my mind.
                            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I feel showing friendly player name tags is more realistic, not less. In RL I would know and recognize my team/squad mates by sight (at a certain distance anyways), and wouldn't be looking at generic player models. The floating friendly player names simulate this, although they should maybe only pop up when you are within a distance that you would normally be able to distinguish facial features. (This should apply to PR:ArmA as well BTW without having to hit the left windows key imo :))

I would trade the mini-map for a simple compass in a second.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X