Grain Elevator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Grain Elevator

I've been meaning to start up these types of discussion for a while but, never had a good tactic worth posting about. Well, now I do.. I think.

First, an image:

As attackers (Axis):

Once the Axis team is able to secure Objective A, I like to have my squad hop the wall at grid location I5/I6. From there, I pop smoke at the NE corner of I6 and move my squad directly into the building at H7/I7 to clear it. After the building is cleared, my squad is ordered to move north to the tower in the SW corner of F8. This building is part of the cap zone for the B objective. While we are capturing B, I have one of my fire teams move up the ladder and start clearing the tower. After the second level is cleared and the fire team is on the third floor, I move into position on the second floor. There is a conveyor bridge on the north side of the tower between the second floors of the tower and the main building. After the fire team has cleared the tower, I send them across into the main building with the rest of the squad following and clear that first room of Allied snipers/MG's.

Speed is required to pull this part of the plan off, along with some help from the rest of the team. After the room past the conveyor bridge is cleared, we move through the doorway on the north wall and follow the sandstone colored hallway until it ends in a stairway. Moving to the bottom of the stairs puts me and my squad in the capture zone of C. If we get there quickly enough and the rest of the team is tying up the Allies at B and just outside of C, we can capture C in short order. Once it's capped, the squad moves with all haste back up the stairs to the second level, where we can immediately start capturing D. The D objective, if I remember correctly, is the one that cuts off the Allied reinforcements if the Axis are able to hold it for at least one minute. After D is capped and held, it's just a matter of mopping up the remaining resistance for the win!

I have successfully executed this plan on both the TG server and on public servers. If done quickly and correctly, it can end the round in 5 minutes or so.

As defenders (Allies):

To defend against the above outlined strategy is actually pretty easy, if the Allies are expecting it. When the round starts, place an MG fire team in the building at H7/I7, preferably on the second floor and looking out the west facing windows. If the Axis are able to take that building, fall back to the tower at B. An assault fire team is best for this job, with the rifleman on the ground floor to snipe out the south facing windows and the two assault classes guarding the top of the ladder. I've found that it's extremely difficult for the Axis to pry that fire team out of the tower. The rest of the defense and emplacements should be pretty obvious if you have read the attackers strategy.

So, what do you think? I invite any and all comments and constructive criticism. I especially invite you all to post up your ideas for a strategy on Grain Elevator.

p.s. As I (or any of you, for that matter) screen grab more map images, I plan on posting more tactics threads.

sigpic

Re: Tactics: Grain Elevator

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mindkill again."
    I for one was glad to have your set of overviews in CoD Black Ops, and its good to see you doing the same thing for RO2.

EDIT: To contribute something more to this, when defending Alpha I've found that the buildings at F4/5 and G5 are good positions for riflemen, as they have a mostly unobstructed field of fire on the main approach for the Axis team to the Gate House. Its a trade off though because by occupying those buildings you have fewer bodies on the objective.
    Last edited by TheLancerMancer; 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Can anyone explain the ticket/timer/spawn dynamics on this map? Are there any flags that are different from others in terms of what happens if you loose them?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLancerMancer View Post
        I for one was glad to have your set of overviews in CoD Black Ops, and its good to see you doing the same thing for RO2.
        Done for both of us! Thanks Mind!

Adding my two cents on defending Alpha, I like to go straight to H/G 6 and hang out outside of the building to the B side. If 3 or so of a squad can get into this area it is super defendable and virtually forces the axis to come outside and hunt you down. You can defend each corner of the main A building as they are running up to it, you can defend further down where germans have wandered down trying to pick us off at our spawn or trying to get upstairs using ladder at E6, and able to look in a few windows and pick off guys not being aware of who can see them from where. Its also within the cap zone, so all this and keeping them from capping too. It is pretty hard to get a nade into that location, and if the germans do cap, its a great place to keep picking them off on their way to B and force them to keep people on A to keep us from capping back. Its one of those special multipurpose effective spots that makes you warm and fuzzy at night!

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
        Can anyone explain the ticket/timer/spawn dynamics on this map? Are there any flags that are different from others in terms of what happens if you loose them?
        Wiskey, I don't have an absolute answer, and hopefully someone who's played it a few more times and noticed can confirm, but it seems like this map, and gamemode that as the germans cap on attack, the flag behind them becomes uncappable. For example if the germans cap B, A then becomes uncappable until the russians can reclaim B. Each time this happens the russians spawn point moves back as well. Can anyone confirm? This is just from rough memory.

Comment

I think the maps where you can recap flags (non-push maps) have bleed. I haven't seen any indication of this except that the team that has more flags seems to always win afaik, unless the team with more flags runs out of tickets. But this rarely or never happens, hence why I think there is ticket bleed.

Comment

Re: Grain Elevator

So is there ticket bleed on Grain Elevator?

Between motherboard-problems and life, I haven't even had a chance to play this in the release - but in the beta, I seem to remember not our reinforcements going from 100+ to zero after we lost one of the flags? <squint>

Comment

I played this map last night on a TG server which had SL spawn. However, it was really hit and miss as to whether you actually spawned in on the SL or not. Does anyone know how that works?

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Last night, I had a good deal of success on defense by placing the majority of my squad in the building at F5. The good part of being in this spot is that you keep the Axis from flanking around the northern part of the map. The bad side of this is that you must depend on a second squad to hold the under-construction building and the southern flank. After 2 rounds, the Axis were never able to capture and hold A. And they never got near B.

Incidentally, the overhead maps that I've been grabbing from the SP missions do not properly portray the cap zones. The building at F5 is actually in the capture radius on the MP version of the map.

So is there ticket bleed on Grain Elevator?

Between motherboard-problems and life, I haven't even had a chance to play this in the release - but in the beta, I seem to remember not our reinforcements going from 100+ to zero after we lost one of the flags? <squint>
                I've never really noticed if there is ticket bleed or not in this game. But, I know that on Grain Elevator, when the Axis captures and holds the D objective for 1 minute, the Allied reinforcements are set to 0. I have not seen this done on any other map.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
                  I played this map last night on a TG server which had SL spawn. However, it was really hit and miss as to whether you actually spawned in on the SL or not. Does anyone know how that works?

Bernout
                  There seems to be some mechanic in place where you can't spawn on the SL at certain times. Whether it's if he's too close to enemies, is seen by enemies, or in an enemy controlled area I'm not certain of.

I do wish there was a message telling you he is not spawnable so you could choose another or wait till he is spawnable, rather than one being randomly chose for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post

Bernout
                    Yeah, i'm not sure what the deal with that is. I've spawned on a SL on a flag in the cap zone, i've spawned on a SL who was getting shot at as i arrived. I've not been able to spawn on a SL in a flag area that was controlled by us, he was neither under fire, or in someone's view. He was lying there for 10 or so of my spawns and never once could spawn on him there. He was upstairs in the building by the edge of the floor. Maybe there's something environment-wise that is causing this bug to not spawn on squad leaders. I know many times when i'm a squad leader its my instinct to find a corner and cram myself into it. I have noticed more people spawning on me when there is a big radius around me where there is nothing obstructing in any direction for 5 feet or so.

Comment

Originally posted by The Po View Post
                      I have noticed more people spawning on me when there is a big radius around me where there is nothing obstructing in any direction for 5 feet or so.
                      I have had this experience too, but I cannot confirm it yet. One thing that will happen is that you are in a building and you squad spawns outside. If they don't tell you then, it is hard to realize that spawn is actually working. Sometimes they will also spawn quite a distance away.

Now I have this hypothesis; people spawn in the same direction from SL every time, different on each map. I've been checking this as much as I can, and so far it seems to hold up. It might be effective if this hypothesis is true, that when you sit in a room, you sit on the correct side so that your squad should spawn in the middle of the room.

I can also confirm that people do spawn in sometimes when the enemy is really close and firing on you.

Comment

TWI have a lot of explaining to do regards the spawn dynamiuc, the ticket bleed, etc.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X