Spartanovka

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [GUIDE] Spartanovka

This is the second installment of our map strategy discussion. Please feel free to add your strategies and tactics to this discussion.

Please pay no attention to the capture zones that are displayed in this image. The image was taken from the single player missions and the objectives are different between the SP and MP games.

I've found that I have quite a bit of trouble getting any strategy to work reliably on this map, as attackers or defenders. From my experience, teamwork is EXTREMELY important on this map and the team that works together best, is generally the team that wins the round. Now, on to my observations:

Defenders (Allies)

At round start, I generally tell my squad to ignore the first objective and to set up at B, which is the bombed church. From what I have experienced on this map, if the Allies attempt to defend the Gullies (A objective), they will lose the round on reinforcements (tickets). This is because there is no cover for the Allied defenders to use and the defense of A becomes a turkey shoot.

At B, I focus my squad on defending the south flank as this is where the attackers (Axis) have the best cover for a flanking maneuver. Having an MG fireteam set up at the eastern end of the southern village looking west, goes a long way to cutting off that flank. Having a couple of squad members in the southern end of the church (in the round part) facing west and southwest, helps to inform the MG team of incoming enemies. They can also take out any flankers that stay on the northern edge of the southern village, which is out of view of the MG team.

As my squad is setting up at the south end of B, I inform the rest of the team that they should be focusing on the west and north approaches to the objective. I feel that most of the Allies should be on the objective in order to block a "ninja cap" by the Axis team (I think that the Axis can hug the wall to the west of the church and be inside the capture zone. Please correct me if this is wrong).

Another good spot to defend B is from the northern part of C. This position allows a good view of the enemy reinforcements that are streaming into battle. The defenders at this position should be calling out contacts (number of enemies and direction of travel) to the rest of the team while engaging the enemy at will. It's also a good idea for this group of defenders to keep in mind that the Axis marksman like to snipe from around the corner of C2/C3, D2/D3 and they should keep some form of cover between themselves and that position.

If the Axis take the Church, I feel that it's imperative that the Allies mount a full-out counter offensive to retake it. Once the battle has moved into the C objective area, it becomes increasingly difficult to defend the gigantic capture zones and the Allies can easily find themselves overrun. I also always have my squad trying to retake any objective the Axis have taken and have had some success doing this.

Attackers (Axis)

Generally, A is very easy for the Axis to take, as they have ample cover and a close spawn point. Once A is taken, I like to have my squad take the southern village, where I will sit as a spawn point. I will assign at least one member of my squad the task of staying with me, in hopes of keeping the spawn point up. I also have spawning squad members wait until there are at least 3 SM's, before they move out to attack. From this position, south of B, the attacking members of my squad have a couple of avenues of attack. The most obvious route is to go straight from G4 into F4. They can also move to the east (G5) and attack the rear flank of the B objective, as well as engage enemy reinforcements before they can get to the Church.

I don't have much experience past this point, as I rarely get to play the Axis on this map. But, from what I have seen, if the Axis can keep up constant pressure on the current objective, they can (more or less) easily push the Allies back to the E objective. During the battle for the center objectives of this map, bounding overwatch and using cover intelligently are the keys to success for both teams.

sigpic

Re: Spartanovka

Sounds tactics, thanks for the guides Mindkill. Looking forward to seeing more.

Comment

I found that when defending and as commander popping arty at the border of E6 and 7 yelds lots of death. The left side is so open than enemies usually go to the right side, only to be bombarded by artillery.

Comment

Originally posted by Kebab-Kastike View Post
        I found that when defending and as commander popping arty at the border of E6 and 7 yelds lots of death. The left side is so open than enemies usually go to the right side, only to be bombarded by artillery.
        Wow! Thanks for the tip on the arty! I'm just starting to play with the commander role and learning how to best use it's assets.

sigpic

Comment

I think that round was like my third attempt at it.

Comment

Ah well this map is all about the arty imo. Way too much so even. There is almost no cover and pretty much everything can be destroyed by arty in the map (fences and houses).

I think the CO is by far the key element in this map. If you don't have one, are attacking, and the defenders have a CO...forget it.

I think the best tactic on this map is:

*Defending: defend mostly one side (depending on the team you are on), arty the other one as much as possibly.

*Attacking: use the creeping barrage technique; arty to clear defenders, move up, repeat.

I don't know what the recharge timer for arty is, but I know that I seem to spend half the time on this map getting arty'd as if my behind was the Maginot line. On other maps you have a decent change of finding protection from the arty, but on this map ... cannon fodder (which was a super awesome game though).

Comment

Good tips, Al.

Anyone have anymore tactics for the Allied team? I've found that the Axis generally win this map, with or without artillery and I would love to see the Allies win a few... and not because the Axis team has no CO or because we TG stack the Allied team. There just has to be a strategy to accomplish this.

Let's keep this discussion going and explore all of the strategic possibilities!

@Al: When you talk about the Allies defending mostly one side of the map, do you have a preference of which side? Do you know of a good place to deploy the Allied MG or marksman that will allow them to thin out the Axis reinforcements?

@shellfishguy: Thanks! It's my intention to put out a guide every few days. The next one will be soon.

p.s. Thanks to all that are participating in these tactical discussions.

sigpic

Comment

Good tips, Al.

Anyone have anymore tactics for the Allied team? I've found that the Axis generally win this map, with or without artillery and I would love to see the Allies win a few... and not because the Axis team has no CO or because we TG stack the Allied team. There just has to be a strategy to accomplish this.

Let's keep this discussion going and explore all of the strategic possibilities!

@Al: When you talk about the Allies defending mostly one side of the map, do you have a preference of which side? Do you know of a good place to deploy the Allied MG or marksman that will allow them to thin out the Axis reinforcements?

@shellfishguy: Thanks! It's my intention to put out a guide every few days. The next one will be soon.

p.s. Thanks to all that are participating in these tactical discussions.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X