Mod(ification)s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod(ification)s

I'm wondering if those in charge have any interest in the RO2 mod scene? Have there been any upcoming mods that have piqued your interests? If so, what kind of mods may we some day see on the TG server?

Re: Mod(ification)s

The SDK (mod/map tools) has yet to be released to the general public. From what I've read, they are hoping to release it in the next week or so.

The mods Rising Storm (Pacific theater of WWII) and In Country: Vietnam (pretty self explanatory) are the two professionally done mods that are slated to be released in the near future. I am personally interested in both mods, because you just don't see too many FPS games based on those conflicts and I think it would be immensely interesting to "fight" in them. I'm pretty sure there are other mod teams working on projects with the pre-release SDK, but I haven't paid too close of attention to them yet.

As for what mods may be run on our server, I'm not too sure yet. The RO2 community here at TG is woefully small at this point in time and that has it's pro's and con's where mods are concerned. The up side with the smaller amount of players, we can check out as many mods as we like, without fear of potentially turning away any current players. The down side is that we, most likely, won't be able to fully test all of the features of any given mod. I do know that I would like to keep from running any mod or expansion pack that has a cost associated with it. I just hate the idea of a player being kicked from the server because he/she doesn't own a specific mod or expansion. That's not to say that paid DLC (I still have yet to read about any) will never see our server but, they will most likely be relegated to a weekly event or some such.

If you, or anyone else reading this forum, knows of a mod that looks like it'd be a good fit for our teamwork oriented style of play, post about it in the Community Suggestion Box, so I and the admin team can take a peek at it.

sigpic

Comment

Personally, in the immediate future I just hope the SDK can help us tweak some gameplay issues. It's my understanding that TWI plans to "whitelist" several changes, i.e., you can alter the settings but the server will still be ranked. Hopefully this is the case! For instance:

1) Remove AI hull gunner from tanks
      2) Remove in-game promotions (someone just up and takes your SL position, for instance)
      3) Limit the number of assault weapons

etc., etc.

I also like that we should start seeing new, more expansive maps generated by the community that aren't so crowded. I loved combined arms maps in Ostfront, so hopefully with AI hullgunner turned off and larger maps we'll see a wider variety of strategies and tactics used between the various maps. The best part is with Steam if you don't have the new content already it will download automatically when you join the server...

Comment

When I wrote my post I had in mind more 'tweak' mods than anything else. I'm just curious what direction the server may take. As for the two pro-mods, I'm afraid that they'll end up being just more of the same. Not much more than reskins. But I havent been keeping up with them at all, so I have no idea.

On DLC, they have stated that all DLC/expansions will be free forever.

Mindkill, I guess I'd also ask you how important to you it is that the server be ranked? What are the real benefits as apposed to tweaks/mods that would force the server going blacklisted/unranked. I do see how it may be difficult to speak on this before any mods are actually out.

From what I've heard, the official maps have some issues, so yeah, the inevitable flood of community maps will be a welcome development.

Comment

Originally posted by teratoma View Post
          When I wrote my post I had in mind more 'tweak' mods than anything else. I'm just curious what direction the server may take. As for the two pro-mods, I'm afraid that they'll end up being just more of the same. Not much more than reskins. But I havent been keeping up with them at all, so I have no idea.
          I am hoping that a modification is released that's similar to the Open Warfare mod we used on the TG CoD4 server. I think that'd be the ideal way for us to differentiate the TG server from the rest. Until the SDK is released, I can't really comment on what direction the server will take. But, any changes made to the server will, for the most part, be community driven. I intend to keep everyone in the loop and allow for suggestions to be made as to what direction we want the server to go in.

On DLC, they have stated that all DLC/expansions will be free forever.
          Although I can't find it now, I remember reading a post by a TWI employee (at least I think I remember :icon_lol:) that if a mod was 'good enough', there might be a small fee applied.

Mindkill, I guess I'd also ask you how important to you it is that the server be ranked? What are the real benefits as apposed to tweaks/mods that would force the server going blacklisted/unranked. I do see how it may be difficult to speak on this before any mods are actually out.
          The ranking in the game means very little to me, it's all about the gameplay. The main issue with unranking the server is that we cut off a good portion of potential players from ever seeing us, as most players never look at the Unranked tab in the server browser. Again, I am more than willing to hear suggestions from the community concerning the ranked status of the server.

sigpic

Comment

sounds good. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens with the mod scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
              The ranking in the game means very little to me, it's all about the gameplay. The main issue with unranking the server is that we cut off a good portion of potential players from ever seeing us, as most players never look at the Unranked tab in the server browser.
              Quite true. The whole "ranking" issue is also one that has proven divisive among the Ostfront veterans. Personally, I'd like to keep the server ranked but use some of the (hopefully) whitelisted tools to make it easier for new players to get into the game.

For instance, I know BigGayAl has leveled up his MG so that whenever he spawns machine gunner, he can choose either the MG34 or the DP-28.

I'm almost to a level as squad leader that when I spawn I can select:

MP40
              PPsH
              SVT-40
              G41

Which seems to me rather silly, and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that. Again, it's not a game breaker, but I'd think if enough people want this feature disabled we will hopefully be able to do so yet keep the server ranked (and thus show up in people's server browser). These are just a couple of examples where I expect something to come from the SDK very shortly after it's released...

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X