X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Yoshiro's "What we are up to" post for January

Yoshiro's post can be found here.

Originally posted by Yoshiro
    Our priority this week for RO 2 is fixing up the SDK and getting it out the door. We've isolated and addressed the long load times for both the loading of the editor and the compiler for scripts. We are working next on fixing redirect for servers and some changes to the cooking processes for maps. After that is out and tested we are looking at the full release of the SDK for everybody.
    It won't be long til we're playing community-made maps and mods!

sigpic

Re: Yoshiro's "What we are up to" post for January

Great news. Let's hope that 2012 is a much better year for multiplayer games at TG than 2011 was.

Comment

Great news, this is why I like Tripwire. They are by no means perfect when it comes to release's, but I trust them to over time fix things up and keep up the constant updates. A shame they are one of the few developers I can actually say that for.

Comment

I think there are two community maps being tested right now. Unfortunately, you have to manually download them before hopping on a server with those maps in rotation.

I haven't tried either one personally...

Comment

Originally posted by Assault9 View Post
          Great news. Let's hope that 2012 is a much better year for multiplayer games at TG than 2011 was.
          Agreed. I think it will be much better. At least for the RO2 players, since we will be getting the free community made maps and the free content Tripwire is planning on rolling out.

Originally posted by PaintScratcher View Post
          Great news, this is why I like Tripwire. They are by no means perfect when it comes to release's, but I trust them to over time fix things up and keep up the constant updates. A shame they are one of the few developers I can actually say that for.
          Exactly the same reason I've become such a TWI fanboi! Since release, TWI has really put some polish on the game. Quite a few of the game play bugs are gone and they have done wonders with optimizing the game. I don't think I've seen my FPS drop below 60 in a few months now.

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
          I think there are two community maps being tested right now. Unfortunately, you have to manually download them before hopping on a server with those maps in rotation.

I haven't tried either one personally...
          I haven't tried those maps either. Granted, I took a little time off from playing multi player games over the holidays, but I think I'll wait for the SDK release so that the maps are auto-downloaded and installed properly.

sigpic

Comment

And can the first mods be far behind? (Never thought I'd look forward to a 'Nam mod but...)

And additional content during the year from Tripwire will be nice.
            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I hope it’s not too late for this game, it has almost died out, I hope this can breathe life back into it

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
              George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by redneck_fgf View Post
                I hope it’s not too late for this game, it has almost died out, I hope this can breathe life back into it
                In my opinion, this game is dying off because of the lack of tactical players (campers and lonewolves appear to be the norm) and because of players that fixate on one small issue or bug and quit playing (OMG! I went to bandage and I went into cover instead! <ragequit>). Even with the poor launch, the remaining performance issues (mostly server/ping related), and the gameplay mechanics issues, this game is very immersive and a serious blast to play. Especially with players that play the objectives.

That's where we, as Tactical Gamers, come in. We have a dedicated RO2 server, run by a couple of dedicated volunteer admins, that sits empty most of the time. Instead of hoping that this game doesn't die off, we should be populating our server and showing the world what this game can be like when the objectives are the main focus. At the very least, we should have a handful of TG'ers pub raiding, getting the TG name out there and, again, showing everyone why playing the objectives is the way to go.

If anyone is ever interested in playing this title, hit me up in Steam and I'll be happy to join you!

sigpic

Comment

Re: Yoshiro's &quot;What we are up to&quot; post for January

Agreed. There are still some minor bugs with the game, but once you're aware of them you can overcome them quite easily.

The biggest remaining issue, IMO, is that there are latency issues with servers running 38-64 players, as all hit-detection is done server side. The TG server has a population cap of 38 so this issue is primarily moot for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                    In my opinion, this game is dying off because of the lack of tactical players (campers and lonewolves appear to be the norm) and because of players that fixate on one small issue or bug and quit playing (OMG! I went to bandage and I went into cover instead! <ragequit>). Even with the poor launch, the remaining performance issues (mostly server/ping related), and the gameplay mechanics issues, this game is very immersive and a serious blast to play. Especially with players that play the objectives.

That's where we, as Tactical Gamers, come in. We have a dedicated RO2 server, run by a couple of dedicated volunteer admins, that sits empty most of the time. Instead of hoping that this game doesn't die off, we should be populating our server and showing the world what this game can be like when the objectives are the main focus. At the very least, we should have a handful of TG'ers pub raiding, getting the TG name out there and, again, showing everyone why playing the objectives is the way to go.

If anyone is ever interested in playing this title, hit me up in Steam and I'll be happy to join you!
                    Well with the poor launch, performance issues, and the gameplay mechanics issues, they can be cumbersome; the game may have already run its course. Like the COD series, game play like this may be dying out. A shame but, the mapping tools may be too little to too, unless they make it real shiny. Look at the steam numbers, this game went to a blowout price, and still didn’t have that great of sales…

It takes a much larger group than what we have currently, to bring this back strong. I have limited time to game, and sitting all alone in the server (and I have done it for hours…trust me), or with a small group of 4-6 players don’t fill the bill for me.

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
                    George S. Patton

Comment

Despite the doom and gloom, we are wracking our brains, trying to find ways to keep this title alive. Help us out by voting and posting here. ;)

sigpic

Comment

May be time to let it go, wait for the maps to come out, rebuild interest then rebuild a server following. Right now there is not enough interest or players at TG to keep this running. It may be better to let it go, to get it back…. Keep paying for a server for 5-6 players is nuts… Even your poll is showing that..

George S. Patton

Comment

I'm sorry you feel that way, Red. I wish you bunches of fun in whichever title you choose to play.

Back on topic:

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
                          Agreed. There are still some minor bugs with the game, but once you're aware of them you can overcome them quite easily.

The biggest remaining issue, IMO, is that there are latency issues with servers running 38-64 players, as all hit-detection is done server side. The TG server has a population cap of 38 so this issue is primarily moot for us.
                          I had a chance to play on Yoshiro's test server the other day, where they were testing server load issues. I didn't really notice any latency problems or lag spikes. Hopefully that means they have nailed down the problem.

sigpic

Comment

Sadly I'm finding the Resistance and Liberation mod for HL2 more fun than Red Orchestra 2 and, judging from the slight increase in servers population of the former post RO2 release, so do others. Buggy as it is, the somewhat slower pace, the map design and size, plus the positional VoIP of RnL make it a significantly more enjoyable game. Here's hoping there will be someone to create something similar for RO2 once the SDK is released.
                            The most dangerous thing on a battlefield is an officer with a map.

Comment

Just in case anyone cares I haven't abandoned and would be playing RO2 as well as other online games if it weren't for the fact I've been traveling for work for the past three months and hotel's "high speed" internet for individual users is less than 512k down and 128k up. (Fine for e-mail and browsing but not much else) I bought an Asus G74S for gaming on the road and I'm stuck playing single player games.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X