Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] January 10th Patch Notes

Changelog

More crash fixes, performance optimizations, and a few bug fixes, take a back seat to the release of the SDK.

sigpic

Re: January 10th Patch Notes

Anyone had a chance to take a look at the SDK yet? I'm downloading now and will take a look over the week end most likely.

Very interested to see how far they have taken the tools.

Comment

Originally posted by PaintScratcher View Post
      Anyone had a chance to take a look at the SDK yet? I'm downloading now and will take a look over the week end most likely.

Very interested to see how far they have taken the tools.
      Haven't looked, but I'm curious as well. Post your thoughts on how easy it would be to put together a map. I have a rough idea of something I'd like to try if the process is not too terribly daunting...

Comment

I've just taken a very brief look and was pleasantly surprised, the general layout and functionality seems incredibly similar to UDK which is to be expected I suppose. UDK is renowned for being accessible to newcomers while still maintaining a really great level of depth to the tools, this seems to have been maintained into the RO2SDK.

One of the best things about UDK is the documentation, and from what I've seen from the official modding forums Tripwire will be following through with some example maps and other documentation for RO specific level design. Other than that it seems the usual UDK tutorials and documentation also apply to the ROSDK so I for one will definitely be experimenting with this. ;)

Comment

I played around with it for a while this afternoon.. and was completely lost. This is the first time I've ever used a UDK based editor. I'm more familiar with the Radiant and Hammer editors but, I'll give this one a go.

If we get enough of us that are mapping, I'll see about getting a sub-forum set up. That way, we can collaborate and pool our resources if the mood strikes us.

sigpic

Comment

I actually find udk fairly similar to hammer, in terms of the layout and such. Its more complex for sure but I reckon quite a lot of hammer knowledge can be translated into udk once you have the basics down.

For the record I'm not an expert by any means, but I know the basics from a few small projects I've worked on in the past. If there is an interest in making maps at TG then i definitely want in. :D

Comment

I'm no expert either. I've made a couple of full maps, but this was back in the time of Day of Defeat. Nowadays, I just don't have the patience required to do a fully fleshed out map. I think I'd prefer to just do prefabs. Buildings, props, small chunks of maps, that sort of thing.

When I (and other TG CoD community members) was fiddling with the radiant editor for the CoD series, we had started a mapping group here at TG. I think that the intention was for a group of mappers to combine their talents (ie. me making building prefabs, someone else working on terrain, etc) in order to shave time off from the development cycle and get a full map out in short order. Unfortunately, interest waned and we never got anything started. Although, Drona put out some pretty damn nice maps that we enjoyed for a good while.

After reading a few tutorials on the UDK, I think I have the basics down. Now, I just need to practice with it to get more comfortable. If/when a few of us are good enough with the editor, we should try some sort of collaborative project.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X