Client side hit detection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [INFO] Client side hit detection

With the SDK out, we're starting to see new maps, and also changes to the game itself.

TG, for instance, is running a mutator where the AI in tanks no longer are able to fire the hull MG nor the main gun (YES!!!).

Also, there are some rather drastic changes being tested at the moment. A player named Mekhazzio is developing a mutator that takes hit detection away from the server and moves it client side. While still in the test phase, the support behind this mutator among those who have tested it is overwhelming. TWI is trying to fix the problem of hit detection server side, but it's posts like this that really make me get behind TWI and what they are trying to accomplish.

So here's some video footage of Mekhazzio testing bullet penetration/ricochet/etc. etc. It's only one minute long but quite interesting nonetheless:

Re: Client side hit detection

I had read a little about Mekhazzio's mutator at TWI's forums, but just haven't had time to check it out. It looks promising!

Your link to Yoshiro's post describes exactly why I'm a fan of TWI. Unlike the big game development houses, TWI actually listens to it's customer base. They also invite the players to help test changes made to the game by using the stand-alone Beta version of the game.

Another item of note is this post by Yoshiro, titled "What we are up to - Refinements", where he talks about upcoming changes to the character damage model and tweaks to the Lockdown timer. He even states that they are working on Native voices for the characters in game. I, personally, couldn't care less about having native voices in game, but many players have voiced the want of this feature and it's awesome that TWI is listening.

Big and exciting things are coming, RO2 fans! So, when you get tired of the same old maps, paying for new maps, or dealing with a game that has moved away from what made it popular in previous installments, come back to RO2: Where the game was made for PC gamers and tested by PC gamers!

sigpic

Comment

I was able to play several games using this mutator earlier today. It's amazing!

I think it's pretty funny too, because the server I was on had all the hitboxes, etc. whenever you fired. It also said where you hit the enemy (thigh, stomach, shoulder, head).

Everything's incredibly lethal now, as it should be, so it'll be interesting to see how this impacts gameplay if/when it gets whitelisted.

It certainly makes the game feel more fluid, with a lot less guesswork when firing.

Comment

I would hope we can try the mutator as soon as it is whitelisted.

The dev that is responsible for the network coding/ hit detection aspects explained that the game was designed around playing with a ping of 40ms or lower. I think that was a wrong choice in general, because gaming communities span over 100 miles these days (duh TWI). Secondly there are only few populated servers, so people are at any rate forced to play on a very small selection of servers, whatever the ping. Third; with the rising ping problems (bc the server gets clogged - mainly on 64ppl servers) almost no one has a ping <40. Fourth, the mutator does hit detection clientside, thus alleviating some of that stress on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGaayAl View Post
          Fourth, the mutator does hit detection clientside, thus alleviating some of that stress on the server.
          This shouldn't be understated. In this AAR I mentioned how much of a load was taken off the server. Jerky movement and "speed hacking" be gone! Your shots land where you want them to, and player movement is a lot more fluid. Win win! Of course, no more running across open ground without smoke, but that's the way it should be...

Also, the "dev" you're referring to is actually the president of TWI, so his opinion has more clout than others. I know Ramm-Jaeger was on the server testing this out the first day Mekhazzio released it and since then TWI has helped troubleshoot the code. Why do people hate on these guys, again??

Comment

Nice when the devs are gamers themselves and a breath of fresh air that they didn't just take the money and run. I'll be purchasing as much as I can from Tripwire from here on out.
            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Once the mutator is whitelisted, it will be making an appearance on our server.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                Once the mutator is whitelisted, it will be making an appearance on our server.
                BOOM!!!

The second post says a few people are crashing with the mutator but TWI staff are still troubleshooting the code.

Comment

Originally posted by Coridon View Post
                  BOOM!!!

The second post says a few people are crashing with the mutator but TWI staff are still troubleshooting the code.
                  The mutator works perfectly without Advanced Ballistics enabled, and most if not all of the other crash problems are solved by deleting your CFGs and letting RO rebuild them.

Just got off a 64 player server, feels like a whole new game now. MGs are deadly, close quarters is visceral now, bayo's have a chance against other rifles and rarely against a good SMG user, but good rifle hipfire skills still come in useful. People still rush around, but those who take up good positions absolutely dominate them and the metagame will probably change fast due to that.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I'll be getting on this at some point today (hopefully).

By the way: Sorry for my absence the past week or so. I've been dealing with a lot more hours at work doing our yearly inventory counts. I think we are just about done and my schedule should get back to normal soon.

sigpic

Comment

Ok. I'm pretty sure that I have everything set up. We are now running 3 mutators on our server: TankTweak (removes the ability of bots to fire any weapons in a tank), AntiLag (the mutator we've been discussing in this thread), and DynamicMapRotator (allows for some cool map rotation abilities and is required by AntiLag).

I'm still looking into ways to get the mutators to start automatically, but no dice yet. Every solution I've tried so far has failed. I'll keep working on this at any rate.

RO2 Admins - Check the RO2 Admin forum for instructions on how to load the mutators.

sigpic

Comment

Looking good! Will try to hop on Thursday and Friday nights and check this out...

Originally posted by dsi1 View Post
                        The mutator works perfectly without Advanced Ballistics enabled, and most if not all of the other crash problems are solved by deleting your CFGs and letting RO rebuild them.
                        Yeah, I heard the crashes were actually due to something on TWI's end, and not the mutator itself. I'm looking forward to seeing this fixed, so that bullet penetration and ricochet are both more realistic.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X