Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Weekend on Steam and Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [ANNOUNCEMENT] Free Weekend on Steam and Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced!

Originally posted by [TW]Wilsonam
    Red Orchestra 2 will be available completely free to play for everyone on Steam this weekend, starting Thursday 24 May 2012 at 10AM Pacific Time.
    This was announced on Tripwire Interactive's website, earlier today. So, if you haven't pulled the trigger and purchased RO2 already, this is your chance to try it at no cost!

For those of us that own RO2, TWI is giving us a present as well: A free content pack!

Originally posted by [TW]Wilsonam
    The content pack additions include:
    - "Action" mode - Featuring a crosshair, easier aiming and toned down recoil, reduced damage and open access to a wide range of weaponry Action mode is the perfect first step for players into the world of Red Orchestra.
    - "Classic" mode blends the gameplay innovations of the new game with the tactical and edgy gameplay of the original giving the fans of the first game exactly what they want.
    - Mamayev Kurgan - complete new map, featuring both close-quarters battles in trenches and bunkers, as well as longer ranged combat across the famous hill in Stalingrad
    - Refined and improved gameplay across the board, vehicle improvements, and way better performance and polish. We listened to the community and based on their feedback refined and tweaked almost every major feature in the game!
    Read the full announcement here. Be sure to watch the video in the post, as the gameplay and other changes/refinements are discussed.

sigpic

Re: Free Weekend on Steam and Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced!

Fantastic! Looks like the GotY update should be released Wednesday; Thursday at the latest...

Comment

Re: Free Weekend on Steam and Red Orchestra 2 Game of the Year Edition Announced!

Ridiculously detailed change log for the patch.

Comment

I've submitted an article to the Content Development team in order to get the word out. Hopefully, it'll get greenlit soon.

Also, nice catch on the changelog, Coridon. I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't see it myself! :o

sigpic

Comment

Mindkill, good move on submitting an article about this. Hopefully the changes will draw in folks and keep them coming back. I am disappointed they do not have any additional vehicles or large-scale combined arms maps, but hopefully that will now be their focus.

Comment

There's been some hub-bub on the TWI forums about additional vehicles and I think TWI intends to add them sooner or later. I think it'll be cool to have half-tracks and the like, but it's not a game breaker for me if it takes time for them to be added.

As for larger, combined arms maps: I think that this is where the modding/mapping community will really start to shine. I'm sure that if this "second release" is as successful as I'm hoping it'll be, maps will start pouring out from the community like water over Niagara Falls. But, with the Tank AI tweaks and the ability to completely turn the AI off, I think that the original combined arms maps (Pavlov's House, Fallen Fighters, Commissar's House, and Red October Factory) included at release, will be like whole new maps.

p.s. I just realized that the free weekend on steam is the same weekend that I'll be trout fishing in northern Michigan. Damn my luck! :(

sigpic

Comment

The article is now live on the front page of TG. Hopefully this generates some interest in this awesome game here, at TG. Be sure to check it out, as there is a video from the TWI devs, explaining the changes made to the game, new game modes, etc.

Also, I am working on getting the TG server updated to the latest build, but have hit a bit of a stumbling block. I'll post here with news concerning our server as it becomes available.

Lastly, if it ends up that the TG server takes some time to get set up, feel free to pub around. If you find a game mode or server settings that you think would be a good fit for the TG server, post up your suggestions in the TG RO2 Community Suggestion Box.

sigpic

Comment

I'm so excited, so many more people in my friends list are playing it now. And once the massive update finishes I'll be going back and back to play.

|TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
                Winston Churchill

sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

Comment

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
                  There's been some hub-bub on the TWI forums about additional vehicles and I think TWI intends to add them sooner or later. I think it'll be cool to have half-tracks and the like, but it's not a game breaker for me if it takes time for them to be added.
                  TWI is not currently working on halftracks, but I believe they're almost finished with a couple of light tanks.

PzKpfw III (Axis)

T-70 (Allies)

Also, some of the community made custom maps are quite good, and are starting to show up on different servers.

Thread on TWI forums discussing custom maps and the wider release to the public at large.

Comment

Free weekend is over, but lots of people picked up the game...

Here's an instructional video I found on Youtube. It shows the first and second cap zones on the new map Mamayev Kurgan. Interestingly the Axis never make it past that CP, which is quite rare in my experience.

The narrator does a fairly decent job of explaining the game and and its different modes, so it's worth watching just for that if you're new to RO2.

Another thing: a lot of the server settings can be tweaked so friendly names show up very distinctly in this video. Where I mostly play this is not the case, and in fact I TK'd BigGaayAl (my SL!), and he did the same a few minutes later on this map. Also, since the narrator is a "Marksman" he doesn't belong to a squad and thus cannot spawn on squad leader.

Spawn on SL is FIXED and BigGaayAl and I had some great success on this map because of it. We were flanking along the right edge as Axis and came across an enemy squad dug in around a series of trenches and bunkers. We were far from the cap at the time and normally we just bypass them and go for the jugular, but for whatever reason we decided we were going to grind it out there. Since squad size is about 10 per side, it was a brutal skirmish were the enemy SL stayed safe and BigGaayAl also stayed out of the action to provide a spawn point. They would kill us, we would kill them; rolling grenades into the bunker opening then running it with bayonets fixed immediately after they detonated. We finally cleared them out after several minutes but then found they had just displaced further back along another line of trenches and bunkers. At this point we decided just to ignore them and push left and into the cap. It was thrilling and hectic, and I need to make sure and record some of the action soon and post it here. Until then, this video will have to do!

Comment

I support this ad :p.

Btw, is it possible to make all active players admin of the TG RO2 steamgroup, so we can send quick, easy unobtrusive invites to play to all members?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X