Rising Storm 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rising Storm 2

Looks like they just made it, into it's own game now. Looks pretty sweet. I just hope the game modes are better than that RO2 offered, linear game-play killed it for me.

Re: Rising Storm 2

Count me in as interested. There hasn't been a good multiplayer Vietnam based game since Battlefield Vietnam and between this and In Country we should be in good shape for some jungle warfare.

Comment

I'm never getting burned by this franchise again. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

New trailer! :) Definitely interested in this, I had a lot of fun with RO2, although admittedly I never played the original so I'm missing some perspective there.

Comment

Here's some new footage recently from PAX West 2016:

And another video that chronicles some of the new gameplay modes:

Comment

Playing the beta this weekend, having fun so far.
            Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

I like it. Graphics are fine, character models look a bit off, but it's a lot of fun. Lethality seems like it's up from standard vanilla RO2, but it's also been quite awhile since I played RO2.

Comment

Needs a squad leader kit, or the SL to get additional white smoke grenades. But other than that, I like it.
                |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

I feel like TG could run a successful server for this title.

Comment

Agreed. If we could get the same level of play as seen on (Insert communities' name here) server, I think we could have a great server. But that would require a big TG player presence.
                    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

The open beta is live from now - so anyone can jump in and play for free. I've played a couple of hours so far, I'm really enjoying it. I agree it could be a good fit for a TG server.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD View Post
                        Lethality seems like it's up from standard vanilla RO2...
                        I feel like damage is the same. But then, when RO2 first came out hit detection was server side and was horrible so it was hard to hit anything. The game was hemorrhaging players and one of the things Tripwire changed was they switched to client side hit detection so shooting enemies actually killed them. Damage was always high, however.

TG had an RO: Ostfront server and a RO: HoS server and neither one saw much success. Though I can't say for sure, I think the Ostfront server failed namely because players spawn in waves so it's hard to rejoin your squad if you die. You pretty much fight with whatever players spawn around you, who will be those players that died most recently. Which makes it even more strange that there was never proximity voice in the RO series (maybe there is now, finally?).

Ostfront did a couple things really well, however. One was vehicle combat: I think I read once that there were 41 vehicles modeled in the game. Don't know if that's accurate but there were definitely a massive number of tanks, assault guns, troop transports, self propelled artillery, etc. And it was up to the mapper to balance the vehicles. For instance, there was a Kursk map (Black Day July) where the Germans had one or two Tigers, some Panzer IV's and a handful of Panzer IIIs. There were Panthers in spawn but they were broken down so you couldn't use them. Soviets had KV-1s and T-34-76s. Neither of them could penetrate the frontal armor of the Tigers and you would constantly read people complaining about "hackers" when a line of Soviet tanks hammered away on a Tiger and the result was a bunch of ricocheting rounds. The balance came from the Soviets getting constant usage of artillery and there were four Soviet players who could call it. Thus the Tiger couldn't stay still for long if it wanted to stay alive. Other maps were balanced in different ways, but it worked out well and didn't feel gimmicky. Also, infantry combat was somewhat clumsy but there were genuine penalties for trying to fire when moving or being out of stamina. This made it entirely possible to bayonet a player with your Kar98 when an enemy rushed into the room with a DP-28 because he couldn't fire accurately. Thus Ostfront ended up having a pretty significant competitive gaming community. Really! But I think the "spawning in random waves with random players" made the game largely DOA at TG...

HoS was supposed to have "spawn on squad leader" as an option but it didn't work for the first several years after release in 2011. There were only two vehicles and they were both terribly buggy when the game came out. The hull MG in the tanks was AI that could see across the map and cut down anything in front of it, even seeing through smoke. Oh yeah, they had repair crates throughout the map so if you parked your tank on one of those you had unlimited ammo and were repaired every two minutes. No penalty for running 30 meters and then whipping around with your PPSh at your hip (or MG34 for that matter). Hit detection was server side (to encourage competitive play) and didn't work. The HoS competitive community collapsed and Tripwire switched to client side hit detection but it was too little too late. If servers were set for 64 players (the max allowed) the lag made the game unplayable. But if you set the max for the server to 48 (deemed to be the highest allowed if you wanted a decent match) your server never became populated. Thus people played on 64 player servers and had miserable experiences. With the population falling so rapidly servers put "bots" on the server to make it look like more people where playing than actually were. Then players hopped on those servers to harvest the bots to unlock weapons. Like tungsten rounds for the AT rifle. Big deal, right? Well, if you're a Soviet AT soldier and you have the tungsten rounds you can one hit kill the Panzer IV as soon as it leaves spawn. So yes, yes, it negatively affected game play. And don't get me started on the MKB (the first assault rifle prototype). Players threw so much vitriol at Tripwire for thinking it was historically accurate to be depicted at Stalingrad! See also: the "Shift + Zoom" debate. The exclusively urban combat and real lack of variety of maps at launch. Tripwire ate bucketfuls of hate those first couple years after release, and some of it was their own fault but not all. Honestly, I don't think they could have done anything to win back all the players they lost after the initial HoS release. Needless to say, the server at TG died a quick, inglorious death.

I think AMG (Anti Matter Gaming) took what was salvageable from HoS when they released Rising Storm. No vehicles, but a very solid infantry game. Which highlights the irony of the fact that Tripwire's first game was called "Red Orchestra: Combined Arms" but I digress...

I played Rising Storm 2 for about an hour this weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit. For TG to run a successful server I'd say at the very minimum there would need to be a way to regroup on SL, which the first two titles didn't really have (HoS did eventually). I'd also like to see proximity voice and for Tripwire to get their vehicle groove back; I personally didn't play enough to see if those are in game. But I would think wave spawn only would be a non-starter for getting a game off the ground at TG. It really puts a damper on trying to get a squad to stay together.

As an aside, I found it very refreshing to play a game where it didn't feel like the retinas were being burned off my myopic eyes like it does whilst pixel hunting in SQUAD.

Comment

I appreciate the squad leader only spawn on the US, and the spawn tunnel system for the Vietnamese. I think it offers a nice balance, and can keep your squad together pretty nicely. However, and frustratingly so, this relegates the American squad leader to a glorified mobile spawn point role, where his primary duty is to hide in a corner and stay alive. This is made worse by the fact that the American squad leader no longer gets smoke grenades as he did in RO2 and RS1, thus eliminating one of the abilities and tasks for a squad leader to do. Throwing smoke was something for the squad leader to do, and it required skill to know where and when to throw smoke. Now the squad leader has to rely on others to do it, and prey that he can advance to his corner.

The other issue I have with the game is the lack of proximity voice. It doesn't seem to be included, which makes it far more difficult to communicate effectively with the people around you. But at least there is a squad VOIP, which should help. There also isn't a squad leader channel for the commander and SLs to talk, which means that the commander must talk to the entire team on the team channel to talk to the squad leader. Something that can get annoying if players abuse it.

The other thing I would like to see RS2 do is introduce ground vehicles. The models are already in game as static objects on the map. I feel that an M113 with .50 cal gunner, or an m60 armed jeep would benefit gameplay and make squad play even better. Plus those vehicles are very easily defeated by the VC who are armed with RPGs and mines.
                          |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

Cdkeys.com has it for $15.59 USD

If you don't like them, Greenmangaming has it for $19.29 USD.

Comment

For entertainment value I went ahead and made an "era appropriate" Spotify playlist. I saw someone on Reddit made one as well and thought it was a fun idea. I'll keep adding/modifying it over time.

Charlie Don't Surf!
                              Last edited by AstroCat; 06-04-2017, 08:43 AM.
                              Home/Gaming PC: [email protected]/Asus Rog Maximus VIII Formula/EVGA GTX 1080 SC/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)/Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q/Corsair RM750i/Acer XB270H 27"/BenQ G2400W 24"/Sound BVlaster ZX/Samsung 850 Pro SSDs x2/Samsung 950 Pro x1/Win10 Pro 64bit/Saitek X52/TrackIR3: Pro-TrackClip Pro/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X