Famous/Decorated Tank Battalion/Divisions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Famous/Decorated Tank Battalion/Divisions

Post here the most Famous/Decorated Tank Battalion/Divisions you can find during WW II.

Please follow the format below when posting. I will post a poll to find out which we would like to use for an IHS. If you want to start a discussion about these please open another thread.

Thanks

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Re: Famous/Decorated Tank Battalion/Divisions

The 761st Tank Battalion

The 761st Tank Battalion was activated on April 1, 1942, at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, and deployed to Europe, landing at Omaha Beach in France on October 10, 1944.

The Battalion trained at Camp Hood, Texas, where they were rated superior by Second Army Commander Lt.Gen. Ben Lear. They landed on the Continent with high morale -- some said they were cocky.

Later referred to as the Black Panther Tank Battalion, the 761st was attached to the XII Corps' 26th Infantry Division, assigned to Gen. George S. Patton Jr.'s Third Army, an army already racing eastward across France, and committed to combat on Nov. 7, 1944.

As a result of their great fighting abilities they spearheaded a number of Patton's moves into enemy territory. They forced a hole in the Siegfried Line, allowing Patton's 4th Armored Division to pour through into Germany. They fought in France, Belgium, and Germany, and were among the first American forces to link up with the Soviet Army (Ukranians) at the River Steyr in Austria.

Information source

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

Panzer-Grenadier-Division Gro▀deutschland

The most favored German Heer unit, Gro▀deutschland recieved new equipment before even the SS divisions.

While technically an infantry division, the unit was equipped with both a panzer batallion and an assault gun batallion. When the Tiger was introduced the unit recieved the unique honor of being the only non-SS divison to have its own heavy tank company. Gro▀deutschland's Tigers achieved an astounding (even for the Tiger) 16.67:1 Kill/loss ratio. This placed the unit's Tigers as one of 10 tiger units to exceed a 10:1 K/D ratio, compared to the average 5.74:1 Tiger I ratio. These ratios are based on the German practice of considering a tank a loss if it had gone under significant repair after a battle, which explains how Germany 'lost' 1715 Tigers while only producing 1347 vehicles.

I'd like to post about famous Canadian tank units, but we don't have that many. Canadians fought with their bare hands, or rifles when pressed. :)
      Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Foreign companies are good, just make sure they have some kind of numerical modifier that can be attached. IHSes have to have numbers! :D

Comment

Just be advised that German units must be regular Heer units. Anything to do with the SS gets disbanded. Which is okay by me.

Comment

Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502

From Wiki:

The 502nd Heavy Tank Battalion (German: Schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502) was a German World War II independent armoured battalion (German: Abteilung) equipped with heavy tanks. The battalion was the first unit to receive and field the Tiger I or Panzerkampfwagen VI Ausf. E. It fought on the Eastern front. It was one of the most successful German heavy tank battalions, destroying 1,400 tanks and 2,000 guns.
            Attached Files

|

Comment

Originally posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
              Just be advised that German units must be regular Heer units. Anything to do with the SS gets disbanded. Which is okay by me.
              What do you mean, "Anything to do with the SS gets disbanded"? Not that I am a big fan of the Nazi party but, the 3rd SS Division Totenkopf was a highly decorated Tank unit.
              What's weird about a young goats head, smoking a joint, tied with a scarf to a mobile artillery gun? - Jeepo

Killing threads since 2007

| |

Comment

Ok now I understand what you are doing. I was in the 3rd PzG Group when I played WWIIonline...so, I am sure that will be taken.
                What's weird about a young goats head, smoking a joint, tied with a scarf to a mobile artillery gun? - Jeepo

| |

Comment

I meant that the administrators of World of Tanks disband companies named after SS divisions. I just feel we should avoid the SS when named an IHS.

Comment

Originally posted by KoopaTroopa View Post
                    I meant that the administrators of World of Tanks disband companies named after SS divisions. I just feel we should avoid the SS when named an IHS.
                    Yeah I was confussed... Totally understand now.

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...