Dealing With Bad Match-Ups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing With Bad Match-Ups

So, I've recently pushed into the wonderful world of Tier III tanks. Much improvement all around except for one thing: I seem to be getting match-ups that put me at such a disadvantage, I just get stomped on (Tiers III, IV, and V). So because of this, I can't get experience to research new stuff, so I can't play well and get experience. Occasionally, I will end up in a II and III match (which works out well), but this doesn't happen too often.

When you are thrown in a bad match-up, what do you do to try to swing the odds in your favor?

Re: Dealing With Bad Match-Ups

Depends what I am running in, but on my pz 4/vk3601 I usually would sit back and snipe. I had a big enough gun that I could blast away in. Sometimes just spotting the enemies will be enough experience for you... what tank are you in?

He who believes he knows the ending of things before they begin is either a very wise person or an idiot. Regardless, he is unhappy for he hast drove a knife into the heart of wonder. -Osten Ard

Comment

I just keep a cool head, and focus on at least hitting something. The key for me at least, is to not rage. If I start raging I fail. If I can keep playing smart I'll live longer, and probably do damage to something which will offset the repair bills. Damage and detections are better than nothing at all. If I get killed, I just exit out and run my alternates (currently Hetzer > Pz III > Marder II) until my main is back up. Rinse and repeat.

"Over the din of battle could be heard Lancerís maniacal laughter and it spurned us on to stay the course, not to give up, and enjoy." - Grimmfist

Comment

Well, first thing is to make sure you are running in a platoon with some TG'ers! ;) After that it's all just luck. I am a little burned but intend to come back to this next week, and play with my Sherman and Phershing and Patton, so hopefully you will be around to rock with!

Comment

If your playing against Tier 3-5's then you have tier 3-5's on your team as well, so try to find a tier 5 med/heavy and follow it around some. Use it as a meatshield, and pop out to get hits then run back to cover. If you can penetrate great, but otherwise you get the fun job of HE'ing them for 5% each time, which is better than nothing :). You should not be there too long though, as on the way to the KV I managed to push through the T-46 in only 20 rounds so you should be flying through the early tiers soon.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
            If your playing against Tier 3-5's then you have tier 3-5's on your team as well, so try to find a tier 5 med/heavy and follow it around some. Use it as a meatshield, and pop out to get hits then run back to cover. If you can penetrate great, but otherwise you get the fun job of HE'ing them for 5% each time, which is better than nothing :). You should not be there too long though, as on the way to the KV I managed to push through the T-46 in only 20 rounds so you should be flying through the early tiers soon.
            This is exactly what I did and I found it worked well to get me into the better tiers quicker.

Find the biggest baddest dog on your side and be their smaller yappy sidekick :row__584:

Comment

also something to keep in mind, there are certain places on every tank that you can penetrate almost every time. The back and sides are obvious, but you can also shoot the spot where the turret meets the tank, directly in the gun and the radio module on the front of the tank

"Well Jayne, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle."

Comment

Tiers 3-5 are in my opinion the worst off when they get a bad matchup. It doesn't happen to them more often than to others, but they are simply worse off (-> completely undergunned). Try damaging a KV in a Pz III A even if you know what you do and know the vulnerable spots. It get's better with T6 since then you have some serious firepower in most cases.
                My tactics most of the time in a bad matchup is playing delayed scout if I got a half-decent fast tank (sit in a bush for a minute or two, watch deployment, find hole, breach it, wreak havoc). Also you can look at enemy matchup and see if you got some tactical advantage over them. When most of the enemies are higher tiered than you there's a good chance you are faster then most/all of them. So just go for the hill/chokepoint right from the start. Chances are you will be first there. Then delay the enemy by zigging through their ranks/fire uneffective shots at them and let your buddies come up behind you. Tactical advantage is then on your side, even if you die (which is likely).

Concerning vulnerable spots: Almost every tank has a machine gun sticking out of it at some place (many have more than one). Try to hit that. You will be surprised.

And although platooning up is a good thing in most cases, in tiers 3-5 it can have seriously bad effects. Just as an example:

Calling yourself Michael Wittmann in WoT is about as creative as calling yourself Gimli in WoW. Still there are hundreds of them! I fear for humanity....

Comment

It all depends on MANY factors. Are the higher level tanks your team fast? Then take the high ground/spotting positions away from the enemy. Can you get into a flanking position?

I have been in tier 10 battles with my t25 and been able to completely out play the other team (running into a ravine to create a cross fire, or continuous tracking of high level tanks for arty, or just peeking around corners to keep eyes on enemy tanks). Every game IS winnable, you just have to read the situation.

Comment

HE. Lots and lots of HE.
                    In DayZ, you either die a Survivor or live long enough to see yourself become a Bandit.

Comment

You think its bad beat? Try grinding the A-20.

You know what don't. Don't even try to grind through the a-20 unless you really want Russian mediums.

But yes platoon up and use mostly HE when it happens.

Note: TD's are slightly better off when getting in higher tier battles due to the stronger guns they tend to use
                      |TG-Irr|CrazyDengoru
                      Yes i watch and read mlp:fim related videos and fanfics. Problem?
                      sigpic
                      Steam ID: CrazyDengoru

Comment

Originally posted by Dengoru View Post
                        You think its bad beat? Try grinding the A-20.

You know what don't. Don't even try to grind through the a-20 unless you really want Russian mediums.

But yes platoon up and use mostly HE when it happens.

Note: TD's are slightly better off when getting in higher tier battles due to the stronger guns they tend to use
                        I actually had alot of fun with the A-20 lol. Even when it was stock o.0
                        In DayZ, you either die a Survivor or live long enough to see yourself become a Bandit.

Comment

Arun swears by HE rounds against higher-level tanks, so I've been trying to remember to use them more while I'm playing. We were wondering if the bad match-ups were happening more because we were in a platoon together, but it looks like it can happen to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
                            Arun swears by HE rounds against higher-level tanks, so I've been trying to remember to use them more while I'm playing. We were wondering if the bad match-ups were happening more because we were in a platoon together, but it looks like it can happen to anyone.
                            Its a bit of both actually...being in a platoon increases your likelihood of getting into higher match games, if one of you is playing a TD or Arty it will increase that likelihood as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Arithea View Post
                              It comes down to getting in the habit of switching to HE as soon as you bounce a shell. If I enter a match where I'm one of the bottom tiers, I will load HE as soon as the round starts. With time and experience, you will begin to remember which tanks you can penetrate and which tanks you cannot.

The other tactic is to flank enemy tanks so that you're getting side shots or rear shots where the armor is weaker, but that depends on the style of tank you are in, whether the enemy tank has support and of course your personal play style.
                              "Looking for brahs to come fight crime with me" - Unload

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X