I'm reloaded and need advice.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm reloaded and need advice.

Okay, so we got a new laptop and it opened new avenues for late night gaming while my wife is asleep. Mainly, that I am getting back into WoT. I've been playing a few weeks and getting back into the swing of things and have a few questions and need some advice.

The first thing I did was play a little with all the new russian T5 stuff/changes and grind up to IS and KV-3. Then I decided to go back to what I was doing before I quit playing and try to advance up the American heavy and medium lines with a little new turreted TD for fun. I just got my Pershing, rage-sold my T29, and have a Hellcat collecting dust. (Yeah I know, I only own 2 tanks...I'm poor.)

Here are my questions:

1.) Does the Pershing get better with upgrades? I loved the Easy 8 and the T20! I could reposition quickly to help where I was needed or flank enemy tanks. If I could get close I could circle and kill stuff way bigger then me. It was awesome! Now I'm in the Pershing and have a better gun, more armor, and more HP...but it is a very unresponsive and sluggish tank. Does it get better once you get tracks and engine upgraded? Can I use the same tactics and feel as E8 and T20 or does this play more like a mobile sniper than a guerilla/brawler?

2.) Since I rage-sold my T29 I need a new heavy line. I like to be a little more mobile and not a lumbering beast but understand that no heavy will play like a medium. I was thinking IS-4 (mainly cause I think it looks awesome) but that is a lot of lumbering beasts to grind through to get there. From what I understand the IS-3/8/7 line still feels like a heavy but has a little more speed and maneuverability to it. Question is: is the grind for IS-4 worth it? Or just go IS-7 line?

3.) I need a third tank to play since I'm just not a TD (turreted or no) or SPG kinda guy. I've got pretty much all trees (except French) open to T7 on the med/hvy lines. Should I got french medium line for Lorraine and Batman or go with something else? Keeping in mind my favorite tank played so far was either the T-34 or the Easy 8.

Thanks in advance for any help, insight, or suggestions. Also, feel free to friend me! Aruncado in game same as always. :row__577:

Re: I'm reloaded and need advice.

1) Pershing fully upgraded is a wonderful tank. Fun to drive, stings, and is just all around fun to drive. Better than the t44 or Panther 2 IMO.

2) IS3-8/7 is more of a medium/heavy tank line, IS4 line is heavy/heavy tank line. If you want more true heavy tanks with large armor, go down the IS4 route.

As for the 3rd question, I can't help you :(

Also add me in-game, FL1Pmode. I still play occasionally and I am on Steam as well.

Comment

IS7 is a fast heavy with a big gun. Fun to play.
      IS4 is a slower heavy with a big gun but not as much armor as the IS7. Sounds like the IS7 line is what you would like.
      The French line. I went heavy and don't really like it. If I do it again it will be the light tank line.
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

1. I loved my Easy 8, liked my T20 even more, and the Pershing is my current favorite. In fact, just got top gun and ace with it in a battle last night. :D It can take quite a pounding...but...

3. For mobility I'm going down the French light line. Sounds like the Lorraine would be the way to go for you although the fact you have the Hellcat collecting dust makes me wonder. ;)

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Can't comment on the Pershing from the inside, but I can say I've found it an effective opponent when in my IS-8 and IS-3.

The IS-7 is the second most popular heavy tank in Clan Wars/Tank Companies right now, after the T110E5. In no small part this is due to the better coordination meaning your E-100 and Maus are going to get massacred by the arty, which is less likely in random matchups but there you have it.

The IS-4 is more armoured than the IS-7 on paper, but the IS-7 has far better sloping and will bounce more shots. The IS-8 and the IS-4 run the same gun, averaging 440 damage. The IS-7 averages 490, though the penetration is slightly -- very slightly -- better on the IS-4. The IS-7 is noticeably faster than the IS-4, almost able to keep up with the T110E5.

Overall, I'd say an IS-7 is an improved IS-8 and an IS-8 is an improved IS-3. IS-3, incidentally, is probably the most popular heavy right now in Champion tank companies :)

On the fast end of things, the 13-90 is an absolute beast. The Lorraine, on the other hand... There are a few things about the Lorraine you should be aware of. Stock Lorraine is just plain painful. It runs a 575hp engine, whereas the top engine -- eighty thousand experience and three upgrades later -- is 980hp. When fully upgraded, the Lorraine is essentially a different tank. That said, it's huge. In my first ten rounds, I died seven times to being one-shotted by arty, and I'm not *that* terrible at finding cover. Sadly, it's a big, juicy, one-shottable damage machine that arty loves.

The Batchat I only have second-hand experience with, so here's your grain of salt. I think it's an awesome tank. Unfortunately for the Bat, so does everyone else in the game. I can't recall a round where the Batchat on the enemy team wasn't a high-priority target from the get-go. But at least it's a lot smaller than the Lorraine :)

What did you dislike about the Hellcat? It's the fastest tank in the game right now, so you might try playing it like you would a scout -- or a 13-90.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
          --BlackMirror
          <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
          Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
          --Blackraven93

Comment

I'm really glad to hear the Pershing gets better with upgrades. I'm kind of excited to get some more playtime in . :row__577:

Sounds like my heavy line choice should be the IS-7 line. Seems the speed, flank, "super medium" feel would suit my playstyle better.

I didn't know the French tanks were that poorly armored...they would probably get on my nerves by turning into smoking wrecks so quickly. Coincidentally that is also why me Hellcat is collecting dust. I just don't have a sit back and snipe mindset. I prefer to be closer in mixing it up with the badguys. Maybe I'll hold off on a third tank until the British tree is released and go with one of them.

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

The American medium line was tons of fun for me. I really really like the Pershing, I didn't think I would like any tank more than the Pershing. But the Patton proved me wrong. As far as heavies go, the French heavies are sort of like heavy mediums, once you get to the AMX50-100 that is. The AMX50-100 may not have much armour, but it has a great gun, and medium like maneuverability and speed.

When I played through the T29, I loved it. It was loads of fun for me. Perhaps the matchmaker throws the T29 under the bus now. But if you stick to it, the T32, M103 and T110 are totally worth the grind. The T110 feels like a Heavy medium. It accelerates instantly, and it has an amazing gun that is capable of firing on the move. I like to call the T110 a fat Patton.
              |TG-73rd|Socomseal
              |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Originally posted by socomseal93 View Post
                When I played through the T29, I loved it. It was loads of fun for me. Perhaps the matchmaker throws the T29 under the bus now. But if you stick to it, the T32, M103 and T110 are totally worth the grind. The T110 feels like a Heavy medium. It accelerates instantly, and it has an amazing gun that is capable of firing on the move. I like to call the T110 a fat Patton.
                Maybe I'll give it another try later when I'm not still raging at the T29. I know the thing is supposed to be a 'hoss and if you get hull down you're almost invincible. However, my personal experience with it was that no matter how hard I tried to get good positioning, play safe, or only expose the turret I still go my ass handed to me constantly. My W/L in that tank is terrible! I got so tired of getting killed in 3-4 shots from f'n mediums that I just rage sold the tank. So far my experience with the IS is much better. Maybe I'm just not suited to the american heavy style or something. :icon16:

I just got the top engine for the Pershing and already notice a pretty big difference. Now I just need the tracks and the turret! I'm starting to get used to the subtle difference in this tank compared to the T20. I figure in another 20 games or so I'll have it down pat and ready for the grind to the Patton. :row__577:

Comment

If you prefer the IS to the T-29 I'd say you REALLY prefer the fast-tank style of play. The T-29 is a beast by all accounts, I can't believe you sold it!

Now, as for actual useful advice - Stick with the Russian Heavies down to the IS-7. Should fit your play-style better than any other heavy by the sounds of it.

I'd say skip on German mediums since they really do just play like fast turretted tank destroyers, and if you didn't like the hellcat...

French mediums can be positively beastly in the right hands. Try to play them like a normal tank though, and you're in for a world of pain. Top Tier French tanks have 4-6 round autoloaders which reload very quickly but it takes a long, long time to change "magazines", so to speak. This, combined with their (for all practical purposes) imaginary armor means they have very, very little combat endurance. BUT with their very high mobility and quick burst of fire, they are the ultimate hit-and-run tanks in the game.

And as those before me have asserted, the Pershing/Patton can be absolute beasts. If you've got the Pershing, keep it!
                  Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Just to hijack the thread a bit....what are the must haves for the new crew skills? when I left there was only repair, firefight, and camo, now it looks like each crew member gets their own special set.

Comment

Originally posted by Specterr View Post
                      Just to hijack the thread a bit....what are the must haves for the new crew skills? when I left there was only repair, firefight, and camo, now it looks like each crew member gets their own special set.
                      I was actually wondering about this too. :row__523:

Comment

Originally posted by Aruncado View Post
                        I was actually wondering about this too. :row__523:
                        I know a lot of people including myself like 6th Sense which is a commander skill indicating you've been spotted (after a 2 sec delay I think). I have it on all my TDs and am working on getting it on my mediums.

I bet there is a online guide for these. I'll try to hunt one down later.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

6th Sense is a huge benefit. It's even more so when you're running with someone who doesn't have it; if you're spotted, they most likely are too, and you can keep two tanks from dying instead of one. I haven't put it on my heavies yet, and I miss it terribly.

Eagle Eye is beneficial, but not huge. The commander skill lets you see what enemy modules are damaged. BUT. It takes two seconds to kick in (same as 6th Sense), it only shows you modules on the tank in your reticule, and it's really only helpful if you're shooting HE at very fat tanks -- otherwise you might as well just go for the kills and not care about the criticals.

I put that one on my IS-4 for those times I have to take on E-100s and Mice, but wish I'd taken something else now. It's not that the skill is bad, it's that there are better alternatives.

Mentor I'm unimpressed by. Sure, it provides a training bonus to your crew. Yet on the one tank I have with Mentor (and halfway through the 3rd skill), the total difference between training levels is 1% or less.

Brothers in Arms, though... Oh, Brothers in Arms. Your question prompted me to revisit the forums, and I believe I'll be putting BiA on every tank I own from now on. The 5% bonus applies to... Well, almost everything. Yes, that too. Only exceptions are position-specific skills like clutch braking etc.

So: Your tank's view range. Your camouflage rating. Repair speed. Firefighting skill. RELOAD TIME! Zero-in time. Acceleration. Loss of speed during turns. Tightness of turns. Radio range. ACCURACY! Have I sold you on this skill yet? All of this stacks with vents (though vents don't have quite the same coverage of effects; they don't affect firefighting and camo, for instance). Oh, and since your commander gives each crew member +1% skill for every 10% of his own (rounded up), with vents and Brothers in Arms, your commander is at 110%. The rest of the crew is at 121%.

Deadeye is one of the hardest skills for me to evaluate, because it's nigh-impossible to track how many critical hits you're scoring. That said, I would suggest giving it to the gunner on lighter tanks or ones that use HE on tanks well over their own tier. If you're going for straight-out damage, I wouldn't bother until your 3rd or 4th skill.

Hope that helps.

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                          --BlackMirror
                          <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                          Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                          --Blackraven93

Comment

Found a guide on the WoT forums:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....st__p__1656626

Took a quick look at it and didn't see anything unreasonable although a couple of recommendations I disagreed with. Probably a good starting point in any case.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Just wanted to add that perks doesn't do anything until you got your "skill" in them to 100% (like BiA), while skills starts to work from start (like repair).

Also, what's the best skill depends on, imho, if your playing td, arty or heavy etc etc. And of course, personal preference (I wouldn't put sixth sense on my heavies for an example - i just asume that I'm spotted :). I would put it on my td).
                              When I count, there are only you and I together
                              But when I look ahead up the white road
                              There is always another one walking beside you
                              Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
                              I do not know whether a man or a woman
                              - But who is that on the other side of you?

/The Waste land by T.S Eliot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X