Hey new to the the game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey new to the the game

My main computer broke, so no more BF3 for me for awhile so I decided to see what other games TG where playing and this was the only one that could run on my laptop.

So far I have died a lot but Im having fun, I think I have most the game down so far.

Just a few questions,

My accuracy is horrid, I seem to get 2-3 hits off then someone else comes along and does the last hit or I die, any tips?

Whats the best tank for a new player?

How are the SPGs? Im interested in playing with one.

Some seem to be a magazine system, others seem to be a one shot system, Im not sure of the differences after using both.

Re: Hey new to the the game

Accuracy depends on what nationality your tank is, and what gun your tank has mounted. The German tanks have the best accuraccy, overall, while the russian tanks seem to have the worst. As for someone else "Stealing your kill", get used to it. It happens a lot. The important thing is, that enemy tank is destroyed, and won't be shooting at you anymore. Besides, the scoreboard you see is rather deceptive. For example, if you got 3 good hits on an enemy tank, and a teammate got the last shot, you'll get more xp and credits for your three shots, than he will for his one, so don't sweat it.

As for the best tank for a new player, that boils down to personal choice. Generally, the Russian tanks are good all round, most of their tanks are pretty fast, and they have good armor slope, meaning they will bounce a lot. Their guns do a lot of damage with a good rate of fire, but their accuracy sucks.
    The German tanks have thick armor, but not really good slope, and usually the most hp; some of their tanks are really slow. But the best thing about German tanks are their guns. They are wicked accurate, especially the long 88mm and the long 75mm. Those things are sniper tanks. Their rate of fire isn't stellar, though, so you tend to want to keep some distance between you and the enemy.
    The American tanks tend to have thick turret armor, and thin hull armor, with decent speed and accuracy. The rate of fire on some of their guns is wicked fast.
    The French tanks start out really slow, with really good armor, but terrible guns. When you get to tier 4, they suddenly reverse that; they get good guns, they're fast, but their armor is very thin. At tier 4 the lights get autoloaders, allowing you to fire of 4-6 rounds in rapid succession, before having to sit through a roughly 30 second reload. (Varies between tank). I'm not sure when the heavies start getting autoloaders.

SPGs are basically glass cannons. They shoot from long range, usually in a hiding spot. Their shots travel in a parabolic arc, meaning they can shoot over low cover, especially the russian SPGS, which have a higher arc. SPGs, especially the high tier ones, do a lot of damage, but have a long reload time. They're the snipers of your team; deadly at long range, but an easy target for an enemy tank that manages to get close. When they move their aim, the reticule really jumps, meaning you'll have to wait a long time for the crosshairs to shrink back to minimum. I recommend, when in artillery mode, not firing until your aim is at it's tightest.

As for the magazine, some of the starting tanks can mount a cannon with a magazine, but they quickly scrapped that in later tanks, because they just couldn't achieve enough punch with a gun like that. The only real exception to this is the french tanks, from tier 4 and up, they get autoloaders.
    The beatings will continue untill morale improves.

Comment

Oh thanks, I knew it didnt matter if you got the kill or not, just didn't know you got xp per hit.

Also forgot to ask, why do my shells do nothing to enemy armor, doesnt seem to matter what angle side or way im facing, they rarely do any damage.
      Last edited by Brainhurts; 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Alot of this has to do with the armor thickness of your target, the slope of the armor on the target tank, and most importantly the gun your firing. Under the stats for your gun you will see something like this:
        37 mm Gun M1916
        Average damage: 30/30/36 HP
        Penetration: 28/45/19 mm
        Rate of Fire: 23.86r/m
        Accuracy: 0.54m
        Aim time: 2.51s
        The three numbers under penetration and damage reflect the three types of ammo for that gun. Armor piercing (AP), Armor piercing composite rigid (APCR), and High explosive (HE) APCR is premium ammo and costs gold instead of credits. This ammo generally provides greatly improved penetration and damage, but at a much greater cost. I would not recommend it. If the gun you are using only has two penetration and damage stats, this is known as a derp gun. Extremely short range, high damage, and very low penetration. It uses two types of ammo; HE and HE Antitank(HEAT). HEAT is the second of three premium ammo. More information about guns, penetration, and ammo can be found at: http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Main_Page

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Also when shooting at a tank that is a higher tier than you are it will be harder for you to do damage. Each tank has weak spots and this is where you want to aim at. Read the forums on WOT site to learn where these are.

A lot of us have been playing this game for over a year now and have worked our way up in the higher tier tanks so when you get into teamspeak make sure to ask what tier they are playing at. You don't want a tier 1-3 tank in an upper tier battle.
          The Old Guy
          kin3
          sigpic

Comment

One more quick pointer - Make sure you're using the "sniper view" camera when you are firing your cannon. The sniper view has a round black border (though there are mods to remove it) and lines up exactly with the trajectory of your cannon.

The 3rd person camera naturally, is not perfectly aligned with your cannon and causes imperfect shooting, though the further the shot the less the discrepancy.

Counter-intuitively it is often more important to use the sniper view in close-quarters combat as the 3rd person camera can cause you to miss the enemy entirely at close range even when your reticule is on-target.
            Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

Ive been playing a bit, Im not doing too horrible Imo.

Ive given myself a goal of getting atleast 2 hits a round on enemies untill I can do better.

The game is very Frustrating at times, one hit kills 5 seconds into the game and what not, but it seems like if I could play with people it would be much more enjoyable.

Another question, XP

It kinda seems random, Ill get 12 hits 4 kills and my team wins, and Ill only get 240 XP
              Another time Ill get 2 kills 1 hits and my team looses and Ill get 350 xp

How is it decided, how much do you get for what, whats the best way to get loads of xp.

Money doesn't seem to be an issue, I get a good 4k-8k a round, which completely outweighs my reload and repair bills.

I also downloaded teamspeak on my Laptop but I can't access anything anymore, even though I was able to on my PC.

Comment

What tank are you using?

Doing damage not kills is what increases XP. You will get more if your team wins than when your team loses.

And like the above post says use sniper mode when shooting. Zoomed in all the way. Don't be the first tank. Hang back and let someone else spot them.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

I have been using 3 tanks so far, the M3 stuart given after the tutorial, Upgraded M37, and sometimes a M2 medium tank.

I found sniper mode right away I have been using it, Tank can't hit the side of a barn when in the other mode XD

I think I have most of the basics down now.

Comment

Good to hear that you are improving. Now is the time to decide what kind of tank you want to pursue, light tanks, medium, or heavy. I started down the German medium line and enjoyed it then switched to the heavy and that is more to my style. Also the TD line is a lot of fun. Then tried arty just to see what it was like and it's okay. I learned a lot playing arty.

Get on TeamSpeak and join the WOT channel and meet the guys that play. You may not want to play in their tier but it is just fun talking to the guys. Also there a few guys just like yourself that just started playing.
                    The Old Guy
                    kin3
                    sigpic

Comment

Brainhurts, I feel your growing pains. I have been at this game for about two months. I have progressed fairly well and already have three tier 7 tanks. They can be fun at times, but can also be very expensive and frustrating. I just researched the T29 and the 105mm gun for it. The tank regularly ends up in tier 9 and 10 battles and even with the 105mm gun, it can be difficult to penetrate these higher tier tanks. As if that wasnt bad enough; the tank is expensive to repair, each shell fired is 1000 credits, and I am lucky if I make over 10,000 credits per round. I normally lose money while using the T29. I use a PzIV and a churchill tank to make up the money lost with my higher tier tanks. Between these two, you can make quite a bit of credits.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Seth, is that without premium? I have it and rarely lose credits with any of my tanks and I have tier 8s. My understanding was that was more of an issue with tier 9 and especially 10.

BTW I'm taking a bit of a break right now but will be back next week.

Bernout

|TG-MD6|

Comment

Originally posted by Bernout View Post
                          Seth, is that without premium? I have it and rarely lose credits with any of my tanks and I have tier 8s. My understanding was that was more of an issue with tier 9 and especially 10.

BTW I'm taking a bit of a break right now but will be back next week.

Bernout
                          It's all very situational; ie. a Tier 6 TD can have the same shell costs as Tier 8 Tanks, just with a bit less hull repair. Remember, the XP/money multiplier for regular vehicles stop at Tier 5, so you can have issues as early as Tier 6 vehicles. A KV-3 with a 122mm for example; would be just as painful as a Panther 2 with an 88 in a bad round.
                          In DayZ, you either die a Survivor or live long enough to see yourself become a Bandit.

Comment

About tiers, whats normal to be paired up with in a random game.

Because sometimes as a tier 3, I'll be put into a game where everyone else is tier 5+
                            Is that normal or does the game just not like me?
                            Because I do minimal damage to anything tier 5+,

Im going down a medium tank route with american tanks, and a heavy/possibly Destroy route for Germans, along with American arty, Russian/French after reading about them just don't seem as good all around as the german/american tanks for the tiers/skill level Im at now.

Im slowly learning the weak spots on the tanks, Hatches, the tank treads, ammo caches, that kinda thing.

Other then all that the game seems to be pretty fun so far,

Comment

If you research hard enough, you'll find WoT schematics of weak spots on tanks that you can research. For example, ammo racks on Russian meds Tier 6-9 are rear turret mounted. I used to have pictures of all the soft/critical parts of tanks T6-T10 when I was playing a lot more back in the day... I'm sure you can find them on the internet as well if you are as dedicated.

Don't worry about being thrown into high tier games, it happens a lot. Just make sure you're packing some HE ;)
                              In DayZ, you either die a Survivor or live long enough to see yourself become a Bandit.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X