French Heavy Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Heavy Review

For those of you interested in the French heavies, here is a little review. Let me start by saying that the French heavies are the definition of support tank. They are not truly heavies, so don't expect much in terms of armour. I will start from tier 5, as most of the previous tanks in the line up are fairly balanced, and the time spent in them is short. Wall of text inbound.

Tier 5 BDR G1B- This tank has ok armour for tier 5. Its rather slow though, as a result of its ok armour. Its 90mm gun is quite damaging, and is like a "derp" cannon. However, it has a long reload, and aim time to balance it out. The BDR hits hard and can even take a few hits. It is a traditional heavy by and by. Not a bad tank, not a great tank. Its a forgettable tank though, and its not really worth keeping. But, the grind through it is not that bad.

Tier 6 Arl 44- This tank is a traditional heavy tank. It has good sloped frontal armour, and it is great in a tier 6 battle. Its gun is also superb, and it can easily damage tier 8 tanks frontally, thanks to high pen, with good damage. The ARL is not the best tier 6 heavy, but it is not the worst either. Its a fairly enjoyable tank to play. However, its not quite worth keeping in the eyes of most.

Tier 7 AMX M4 1945- This tank is yet again, a traditional heavy tank. However, it is a downgrade from the ARL 44. The AMX M4 uses a Panther chassis, which is weaker than the ARL chassis. This means the AMX M4 is slightly more manoeuvrable, but it comes at the cost of armour. Gun wise, the AMX M4 gets the same gun as the ARL 44. Its not a bad cannon, but it starts to show its inferiority when fighting tier 9 tanks. Worst yet, the AMX M4 turret has almost no gun depression, meaning that hulling down is not an option. The only thing that the AMX M4 can really do is hide in the back and snipe. Its not too bad at a sniper role, but its not great either. This tank is genuinely horrible, and it is not a fun grind in the slightest. Most people hate this tank, and I don't blame them.

Tier 8 AMX 50-100- This is an auto loader toting support tank. It has a very good 100mm cannon and a 6 round auto loader. The cannon is capable of shredding up to tier 9 tanks with ease. The hull of the AMX 50-100 is once again, based off the Panther hull. Luckily, the 50-100 gets a much better engine than the AMX M4, which makes it far faster. This is a good thing, since once the 50-100 depletes its ammo drum, it needs to run, and speed is its only defence. The tank cruises at about 35-40 kmh. The tank is also fairly small, which makes it a bit hard to hit. As a support role, this tank is the best of tier 8, without question. Its primary downside is that its gun takes about 48 seconds to reload. All in all, a great tank, well worth keeping.

Tier 9 AMX 50-120- The AMX 50-120 is an upgrade of the AMX 50-100. Its got better hull armour, better speed, and a much better gun. The hull armour doesn't really make any difference at all. The speed is somewhat noticeable. Curise speed is again 35-40 kmh, but it accelerates faster. However, this upgraded hull comes with a serious drawback. The turret and hull have to be larger to support the larger gun, which in turn, makes the tank huge. The turret on this tank is a massive weak spot, that is incredibly hard to hide. However, don't let the glaring weakspot fool you, its gun is well worth the weak spot. The 120mm gun, is the same gun the tier 10 AMX50B gets. And the 120mm is a nasty gun, it shreds tier 10 tanks with ease. The 120mm gun has a 4 round auto loader with about a 32 second reload time. Once again, the 50-120 is the best support of tier 9. Its gun shreds enemies, and the reload time is more than manageable. I had a lot of fun playing this tank. Though, due to the existence of the 50B, there is no real reason to keep this tank, despite it being a keeper.

Tier 10 AMX 50B- Here is where things change a bit. The 50B gets an even more upgraded hull. In fact, the hull has some extremely bouncy armour. The AMX 50B hull is just as good as the T110E5's hull, it has the same armour values. The turret on the other hand, is still incredibly weak, and most tanks shoot the turret. Luckily, the 50B gets an incredible engine, which allows it to be even faster than its predecessors, which makes the tank a much harder to hit target. The tank cruises at about 40-45 kmh, and it accelerates decently. The gun is the same as the 50-120s, but the reload is down to 28 seconds, which helps. Overall, its a great tank, that is under rated. Its well worth having.

Overall, the French heavy line is good. The only real rough patch is at tier 7, with the AMX M4. However, the grind through that tank is totally worth it, once you get to the AMX-100. The tier 8-10 tanks are very unforgiving, but if played right, they can dominate the battlefield and send the enemy into a world of hurt.
    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Re: French Heavy Review

Another good write up, thanks.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

More still to come. I intend to write a review for every line I have played.
      |TG-73rd|Socomseal
      |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

The 50B is best contrasted against the new US autoloader -- the T57 Heavy. Which I haven't gotten to yet, so I'm just leaving this note here while Socom gets to his US heavy review :)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
        --BlackMirror
        <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
        Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
        --Blackraven93

Comment

I've played the T57 on the test server for 100s of battles. As requested, I will do a comparison.

Firstly, there is a big difference between T57 and 50B. Both may be support heavies with auto loaders, but they fill different roles. The T57 is an area denial tank. Its supposed to sit in the same position for most of the game, and prevent the enemy from advancing. The 50B can do the same. However, the T57 is far more effective in this role, as its reload time is roughly 23 seconds, and the time between shots in the autoloader is less. Because of this, the T57 can fire more rounds than the 50B. The 50B on the other hand, has speed to its advantage. That speed comes in handy, as it allows the 50B to act as a quick reaction force, and show up where help is most needed. Almost like a medium does. The 50B can also keep pace with mediums with ease, which allows it to support a medium advance from the back.

In terms of fire power, the T57 and 50B are nearly identical. Their cannons differ only slightly. The T57's cannon is slightly better. In terms of armour, both tanks are about equal. From my experience, the hull of the T57 was fairly easy to pen. Where as the 50B hull is very hard to pen. However, the turret of the T57 is somewhat bouncy, where as the 50B's turret rarely bounces anything. The T57's turret is also smaller, which makes the tank a little bit easier to hide.

At current, I think the T57 is better than the 50B, but only slightly. It also really depends on what role you want to play as.

One thing to consider though, the French heavy line is a decent line throughout. The American autoloader line is fairly meh at most points. Grinding to the 50B is far easier than grinding to the T57.
          |TG-73rd|Socomseal

Comment

I would love to give the 50-100 a spin on a test server sometime, that autocannon on a tier 8 can be devastating if used correctly.

Former TG-21st
            Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Having just finished the 50-100 grind, I heartily endorse this plan. It's an awesome support tank, and I'm currently driving it in tournaments for all its worth. (Can you say "263mm penetration HEAT rounds," boys and girls? Thought you could.)

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

Both tanks are support tanks. When the enemy has fired move in and unload. Boom he's gone. And put 2-3 in a pack and they can really do damage. Neither can take a lot of hits so I had to learn how to play them.
                The Old Guy
                kin3
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse