Review of American mediums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of American mediums

For those of you interested in playing the American mediums, here is a small review of each tank in the line up. I will start from tier 4, normally I start from tier 5, but the M3 Lee deserves some mention. Wall of text inbound.

Tier 4 M3 Lee - This tank should not be classified as a medium. It is a medium chassis, and a medium gun, but the play style is that of a TD. This is because the gun is fixed in the hull, much like a TD's. If the M3 Lee is played as a TD, it is fine. If it is played as a medium, it will fail miserably. All in all, its not a great tank, but certainly not a horrible tank.

Tier 5 M4 Sherman- I would say this tank is the best medium of tier 5. It has a great 76mm gun with good fire rate and penetration, the tank itself is fast, and the armour is ok. The M4 is a great general purpose medium. It even has a 105mm howitzer "derp" cannon available, which is fun to play with. This tank is a lot of fun to play, and is a keeper. Especially since it makes lots of credits.

Tier 6 M4A3E8 "Easy 8" Sherman- The E8 is a huge step up from the M4 in terms of speed, and fire power. While the gun may appear to be the same as the M4's, its not. The E8 gets a much faster firing, more accurate version of the M4's 76mm cannon. The hull and turret armour may not be that impressive. However, don't let the lack of turret armour fool you. The E8's turret has a mantlet plate on its turret which adds additional armour, and makes the E8 turret somewhat bouncy. The E8 also gets great gun depression, so it can hull down. Much like its predecessor, the E8 is a general purpose medium that combines speed and fire power that allow it to do well in most situations. The E8 is the definition of flanker tank, its top speed of 48 kmh is easily reached. All in all, this is a great medium, arguably the best or second best medium of tier 6. This tank is a lot of fun to play and is definitely a keeper.

Tier 7 T20- The T20 is a different beast from the Shermans. The T20 is an entirely new compact chassis. In order to achieve its compactness, the T20 sacrifices its armoured protection in favour of speed and small size. The T20 is fast, with a top speed of 56 and a cursing speed of 50. It feels a little bit faster than the Easy 8. The T20 is also armed with a new cannon, which is a major step up from the 76mm used on the Shermans. The T20s 90mm cannon has great pen and damage, at the expense of fire rate. The T20 fires much slower than its Sherman predecessors, but it hits harder too. The T20 is less of a general purpose medium, and more of a fast flanker. This tank is not the best of its tier, but it is not the worst either. After having played the Panther, T43, Comet and VK3002DB, I have learned to appreciate the T20. I used to strongly dislike the T20, but in comparison to other mediums, its actually quite good. All in all, the T20 is a decent tank. Its not great, but its not horrible either. Not a keeper though.

Tier 8 Pershing- The Perishing is an entirely different beast from its predecessors. The pershing feels like a heavy medium. Despite its heavy like feeling, it can still move fast, with a top speed of 48kmh and a cruise speed of 46 kmh. It has great armour, especially the turret. Its gun is great, as it can easily penetrate through the front of tier 8 tanks, and the side of tier 9 tanks. The Pershing is a great general purpose tank. The best part of the Pershing though, is that you can use it in a brawling role, something the previous mediums were only mediocre at. The Pershing also has great hull down capability. The cannon has a good fire rate, and good damage and accuracy. Overall, this tank is a great tier 8 medium. After playing the Panther 2, T44, and Centurion 1, I still think the Pershing is the best, and it is my absolute favourite tier 8 medium to play.

Tier 9 M46 Patton- The M46 Patton is an evolution of the M26 Pershing, the chassis look fairly similar, as are the handling characteristics. The Patton is for all intensive purposes, an M26 with a new gun. The 105mm cannon the M46 is armed with is lack lustre though. It has ok accuracy at range, and low accuracy on the move. Its redeeming characteristics are decent penetration, and good damage. In terms of cannon, the M46 is lacklustre, in terms of other tank characteristics, the M46 is good. Its not a great medium. At one point in time, it was the best medium of tier 9, then after a massive nerf, the glory days ended, and this tank is arguably the worst tier 9 medium. I think that is a fair assessment, its gun really brings it down.

Tier 10 M48 Patton- This tank is yet another heavy medium. It sports an all new chassis that is different from the M26 and M46's chassis. Unfortunately, this chassis has some major drawbacks, the primary one being its size. The M48 is as big as a Tier 10 heavy. The armour on the M48 is also not particularly good. The turret armour is only ok at best. Since the tank is so large, its top speed is 44 kmh, which feels quite slow. Its gun is ok at best. It has good pen and damage, and decent accuracy. Its fire rate is decent, but it feels a little slow. Its accuracy on the move is poor, despite its slow speed. Thankfully, the M48 does have one trick up its sleeve that sets it apart from the rest of the tier 10 mediums. The M48 has the best view range in the game. Which makes it an excellent tank to use for passive scouting. All in all, the M48 is mediocre, and is nothing special. It can perform well, but its not that fun to play. Its not worth investing too much time into getting.

Overall, the American medium line is decent. Its fairly balanced throughout and only gets mediocre at tier 9 and 10. The M4, Easy 8 and Pershing are all well worth getting, and are loads of fun to play.
    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Re: Review of American mediums

Great review.

18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

Comment

An important -- I'd even say vital -- consideration when playing the M4 is whether you use HEAT rounds. Switching to HEAT makes this an entirely different tank. The 105mm is a reasonable gun but suffers from relatively low accuracy and, for its tier, abysmal reload times (6.60sec with Brothers in Arms and a rammer). You will generally hit for 100-120hp, which is not enough to match up against 2-3 shots the enemy can sink into you while you reload. You also only have 460hp, so getting hit three times for 60-80hp will wear you down very quickly.

Compare that to the damage output of a 105mm HEAT shell. You can reliably get 320-350 damage. Light tanks in your tier simply vanish. Medium tanks in your tier who've taken any damage at all will also generally disappear. Your relatively thin armour and low hp will be a concern in higher-tier matches, but if you remain in a longer-range support role you can do incredible amounts of damage -- and make silly amounts of credits. I've seen an M4 do over 3,000hp in damage in a tier 8 round.

All of this may or may not change with the 8.6 rework of HE and HEAT, but until then I've got about 300 pre-purchased HEAT rounds to use up...

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
      --BlackMirror
      <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
      Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
      --Blackraven93

Comment

Originally posted by Cheburash View Post
        An important -- I'd even say vital -- consideration when playing the M4 is whether you use HEAT rounds. Switching to HEAT makes this an entirely different tank. The 105mm is a reasonable gun but suffers from relatively low accuracy and, for its tier, abysmal reload times (6.60sec with Brothers in Arms and a rammer). You will generally hit for 100-120hp, which is not enough to match up against 2-3 shots the enemy can sink into you while you reload. You also only have 460hp, so getting hit three times for 60-80hp will wear you down very quickly.

Compare that to the damage output of a 105mm HEAT shell. You can reliably get 320-350 damage. Light tanks in your tier simply vanish. Medium tanks in your tier who've taken any damage at all will also generally disappear. Your relatively thin armour and low hp will be a concern in higher-tier matches, but if you remain in a longer-range support role you can do incredible amounts of damage -- and make silly amounts of credits. I've seen an M4 do over 3,000hp in damage in a tier 8 round.

All of this may or may not change with the 8.6 rework of HE and HEAT, but until then I've got about 300 pre-purchased HEAT rounds to use up...
        Indeed, the derp cannon is nowhere near as good as it once was. Its now a necessity to run gold rounds on it. Hopefully, the gold round nerf doesn't ruin the derp gun too much.
        |TG-73rd|Socomseal
        |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X