War Thunder: Ground Forces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Thunder: Ground Forces

I suppose you've noticed that I haven't been slinging hot death from my Tiger in a while. I burned out on World of Tanks pretty badly and while I've dropped back in from time to time I've mostly been playing other games.

Over the last couple of days though, something has reignited the tanking flame in my heart.

No, it's not Girls und Panzer, though that's... interesting. (and incredibly detailed in the actual tank workings!)

I bought into the War Thunder: Ground Forces, and I am loving it. It would be impossible to talk about it without comparing it to World of Tanks - Ground Forces follows a similar vein - small scale short-term tank warfare battles between tiered opponents. Similarities end there. Ground Forces features three modes - Arcade, Realistic, and Simulation with increasing complexity and decreasing driver aids. Even in arcade mode though things are very unlike World of Tanks. There are no hitpoint pools. If your crew is killed by spall, your ammo rack goes up, or your tank burns it's game over, otherwise you can fight to the last. Frustratingly, this can sometimes result in tanks that just won't die despite multiple penetrating hits (looking at you, T-28).

War Thunder looks a lot better, yet it's also impressively well optimized. The tanks look exquisite and are highly customizable in appearance. Unfortunately it looks as though most camo patterns may be pay-to-use, but decals can be unlocked through gameplay and up to 4 can be placed on a tank in customizable size and position. You can also choose how weathered your camo will look on a sliding scale from factory fresh to lost-in-a-Russian-swamp. The map design is another high point, maps are generally large with few chokepoints allowing battles to progress differently each time. Unfortunately map selection now is small. On these large maps it's not unusal to take shots at tanks over a kilometer away, though most combat ends up in the 300-800m range. Oh... and did I mention that in some game modes you can play with both tanks and aircraft on the same map?

Points against War Thunder: Ground Forces? Obviously it's still in closed beta (though the NDA has been lifted, I'm not breaking anything here), and many of its systems are not as thorough and polished as World of Tanks. Particularly jarring is the upgrades system. As with the War Thunder aviation game, major upgrades are totally new units. For example, there are currently four Panzer III variants. Upgrades are usually slight component adjustments or maintenance (for example cleaning the engine filters for a minor horsepower upgrade) and gaining upgrades feels insubstantial. On the flip side, vehicles perform very well right out of the box. There are no "bad stock grinds".

War Thunder: Ground Forces is currently in closed beta. If you want in, there are occasionally events in War Thunder (warplanes version, which I also highly recommend) which can get you invites or (as is the tradition these days) you can buy your way in with a 20$ pack which gives you two low-tier premium tanks, 2 weeks premium time (activated immediately unfortunately, but works with regular War Thunder as well), and 15$ worth of premium currency. Of course, there are more expensive packages as well...

If anyone else is looking for something a little different, or is looking for a slightly more realistic or historically accurate tank game, check it out.
    Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Re: War Thunder: Ground Forces

There is a large group of TG members playing both the planes as well as the ground forces. Check us out in our TS channel as site admins will not allow us a Warthunder Forum.
    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Incorrect. The Site Admins are just very busy so the request hasn't been dealt with yet. Apologies for the delay.

Comment

To anyone hearing about this for the first time then I should mention that Ground Forces is currently only available for 8 hours each day, 1600-2000 and 0000-0400 zulu.
        Teamwork and Tactics are OP

Strait /strāt/ (Noun) A narrow passage of water connecting two seas or two large areas of water: "the Northumberland Strait".

Comment

My mistake wicks. I didn't know over a month with no contact was standard. ;)
          doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Yes it was your mistake mate as it wasn't refused and no it isn't standard hence the explanation and apology :row__596:. However it is now set up thanks to BigC.

Comment

Thanks C/Wicks......drop in a try it out sometime. Good fun :)

|

Comment

I was about to say...TG administration usually does not deny a request for a forum section when there is ample TG interest in a game. I might check this out when it isn't a buy-your-way-in or invite only game. Suffice to say, my time is very split so I can't promise I'll even get around to trying it. Between WoT, TGU, RL, and BF4...yeah that's a lot of time not to mention I'm getting actively involved in my local community.

I was watching one of the related videos. Tank movements look good. How it responds on terrain etc is nice, definitely not the abrupt stop-and-go action of WoT. The models are very detailed and the wavy grass and such adds a great atmosphere.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I know they don't, but by giving wicks **** publicly it or done.
                  doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Update: Warthunder tanks has now entered open beta. Meaning that anyone who downloads warthunder may play the tanks. Moreover, the tanks are now available 24/7.

Also, to add to what Straight was saying, all tanks get their realistic loadouts. That means that tanks like the T28 do not get an 85mm like in world of Tanks. There is also no player controlled artillery, which is far better in my opinion. Although, there is still artillery in the game, but it is off map and AI controlled.
                    |TG-73rd|Socomseal
                    |TG-73rd Member| Former TG Irregular ArmA Platoon Leader| Former TG ArmA Admin XO| TG Pathfinder - Spartan 1 |TGU ArmA Instructor |Former TG-18th Member| |Former TG-1st Member|

"Its easy to argue about issues from afar. But until you have experienced the issue first hand, you have not seen all the facts."

Carver you will be cut off for a long time before reinforcements can reach you "I am the reinforcements the main force is only coming to bring me body bags and to clean up the mess Im about to make" - General Carver

Comment

Digging the tanks module, everything WoT could have been and yet only in alpha.....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X