No announcement yet.

Platooning Guide

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platooning Guide

The following are some choice excerpts from this guide posted on the WoT forum.

"The golden rule when creating a platoon is to choose tanks that share the same matchmaking spread.

In order to optimize the strength of your platoon, it makes sense to combine tanks that work well together. There are some stereotypical combinations that have been proven to work very well while other combinations have inherent weaknesses that make them less than ideal:

Useful tank combinations:

•Medium wolfpack: combination of 3 medium tanks. Such a platoon constitutes a strong force that can overwhelm an enemy flank piecemeal by rushing and flanking one tank after another
    •Anchor + sniper combo: heavily armord tank that fights up front combined with a support tank, ideally a td or a designated sniper tank (Tiger H, Panther).
    •Autoloader platoon: I am not a fan because it is a high risk, high reward setup. Combining several autoloaders can offer tremendous firepower but handling reloads smartly is essential. This is an offensive setup and will invariably fail where it comes to holding a flank. Don’t go to places where heavies slug it out (e.g.: southeast on Arctic Region), attack and overwhelm at places that are usually medium tank territory.
    •Anchor + Autoloader: heavily armoured tank combined with an autoloader tank. The autoloader will break the enemy with his burst then drop back while the heavy covers him during his reload.
    Weak combinations: other setups are in my humble opinion less than ideal. The common denominator is that those setups are depending on strong play on the part of other members of the team (for example because they need capable scouts or frontline tanks). An ideal platoon brings all the tools it needs to succeed itself and doesn’t have to hope that some random team-member provides crucial help:
    •Pure tank destroyer platoon: If you end up as top tiers, your team may lack strong frontline tanks and is forced to camp. Most likely weaker mid or bottom tier tanks will end up front and get slaughtered. Moreover, you have to rely on your pubbies to spot for you.
    •Only slow tanks: you lack flexibility. If you all commit to one flank and the team breaks on another part of the battlefield you may not be able to get back to your cap in time.
    •Only scouts: on many maps a weak platoon.
    •Only arty: see above. On many maps this is the weakest combo available (and not just on Himmelsdorf).
    •Arty + td: artillery is best combined with tanks that can spot for it (lights or meds). It is also acceptable (if less ideal) to platoon with heavy tanks that can hold the frontline up front. However, combining a camping td with a camping artillery gives you little control over the outcome of the battle and makes all platoon-members dependant on spotting from the team (which you may not get!)
    •Autoloader + td: autoloaders need someone who can work in front of them capable of holding the line while they drop back to reload.
    Obviously, I have addressed the stereotype for each vehicle class here. Different rules apply for the exceptions: There are tds capable of fighting up front and anchoring a flank (British AT series), there are heavies made out of paper that are relegated to the role of sniper tanks (AMX M4).
    In conclusion, 3 vehicle classes are ideally used in very specific platoon setups due to their dependency on support: scouts, artillery and tank destroyers (tds being the least problematic). For heavy tanks, on the other hand, almost any partner will work. Finally, medium tanks combine well with any other vehicle due to their versatility.

•For this reason, I strongly recommend to platoon only at a tier level where you as a player are at least average. Indicators for this are:
    ◦can you manage a 49% winrate in your tank playing it solo?
    ◦Average kills/game in your chosen tank should be >0.9 (depends on vehicle classes, higher for tds, lower for meds)
    ◦Average damage/game should come close to 90% of the hitpoints of your vehicle (more for tds, less for meds).
    If you can’t manage to live up to these indicators for average play in your chosen tank, you are a liability to your platoon and your team – and especially the latter won’t like you for it. If you platoon at a tier where all platoon members struggle to hold their own, you have created a fail platoon that is likely to lose a lot of games."

The matchmaking weighs the entire platoon based on the weighted value of the "strongest" tank and doesn't take into account equipment, crews, or player skill so remember when selecting the tanks to platoon that all tanks are not equal even though at higher tiers mediums and heavies share the same weighted values.

In conclusion, trying to platoon a vehicle that you're still learning, outfitting, and have yet to master is a recipe for frustration for you and your platoon as well as your teammates.
    Forewarned is Forearmed

Re: Platooning Guide

I think we've figured out most of these combinations from our numerous games together. Though the Anchor + Autoloader one I haven't yet (not sure if we every played this before).
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed