Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a Swing Voter. Sway me!

Hello. My name is Luna, and I am a swing voter. (As you all reply "Hi, Luna!")

As you know, swing voters are difficult to predict, and very fussy. We agree with one candidate on some issues, and the other candidate on other issues. It's quite the conundrum.

So, here is your chance to convince me and all of the other swing voters out there as to whom is the better candidate for the presidency. Tell me why your man is the man for the job. Hit the key points- economy, security, education, etc. You like your guy, now tell me why I should too.

There's a catch, though. (There're always a catch!) I want you to support your candidate WITHOUT comparing him to the other candidate. Tell me why he is the right choice, tell me his plans for the future. Do not insult the other candidate. Us swing voters are touchy, as I mentioned. If you offend my sensibilities, I could easily swing to the other candidate.

Who should be the next President? Let's hear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I am a Swing Voter. Sway me!

Hi, Luna!
    I want you to support your candidate WITHOUT comparing him to the other candidate
    Sorry you have to accept the fact that there is not a good candidate to vote for. Kerry may be a conservative but he is the lesser of two evils.

If you want a good candidate, look at a third party, but be aware of the fact you will be voting for Bush in effect.

I was going to say vote Kerry because of Kyoto, but I have just read that he wouldn't ratify either Why don't your politicians like the environment?

EDIT: ugh I have been reading Kerry's website which states his "policies" but is mostly just dozens of pages of wordy rhetoric saying "Kerry has a plan" to increase jobs etc. without being very specific. Conversely, the first link on the Bush site is his 'agenda' which succinctly states many specific policies.

OK someone convince liberal old ME why to vote for Kerry please.
    Last edited by Wintermute; 09-05-2004 at 06:18 PM.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kerry isn't a conservative.. He's one of the most liberal democrats in the US Senate..

Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

43452045524748454146204742204754202d204642424121

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He never said Kerry was a conservative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Hi, Luna!
    Sorry you have to accept the fact that there is not a good candidate to vote for. Kerry may be a conservative but he is the lesser of two evils.

If you want a good candidate, look at a third party, but be aware of the fact you will be voting for Bush in effect.
    I might, if you told me about a 3rd candidate that I would stand behind. SWAY ME!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute
    Kerry may be a conservative but he is the lesser of two evils.
    Quote Originally Posted by =luna=
    He never said Kerry was a conservative.

Typical undecided voter. Gotta beat 'em over the head with the obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How in the hell did I miss that?

I'm sorry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[sarcasm]

vote for kerry. Bush is a looser.

[/sarcasm]

(I support bush myself, so given the tendency to "swing the other way" I thought I'd try. (and yes, there are several other meanings floating out there for the quoted line for someone to hit over the fence.......enjoy)

truthfully, bush has helped me personally by giving extra tax breaks to married couples with children, as much as any politician can be, I believe him to be truthful (let the bashing begin on that one, but I did say... "as much as any politician can be".....) and I believe that he does hold a christian belief system at the core of his decisionmaking. I see an integrity in him on the personal level. (read the story of bush on the campaign trail and going throught the motions of shaking hands, when a father and daughter stopped him by saying "her mom was in the wtc on 911. Bush stopped, dropped to one knee, and took the time to comfort a 9 year old girl personally and deliberately. there was no votes to gain from that act. he did it out of love and a shared sense of loss.) I cannot see a kerry run government because there is nothing to base such a view on, so I cannot say that given the revers, kerry would do different, but bush seems to truly care about this country and giving the world the same opportunity and liberty we take for granted. it is hard to say that, looking at the person, that kerry could be so compassionate about the individual needs of those he encounters.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by =luna=
    Who should be the next President? Let's hear it.
    There are basically two significant issues that have my attention right now. There are others, but those subjects don't do well on these forums, so I'll just give these two.

The first is National Security. Bush has proven that he is willing to commit to an unpopular decision in order to take the fight to our enemies. Many people, from my point of view, have not admitted the fact that there are Islamic Fascists in our own neighborhoods waiting to kill us. There are many examples, but for the most recent just read a little more on the Chechen school massacre and you see what they are capable of.

From Bush's RNC speech:
    I believe the most solemn duty of the American president is to protect the American people. If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy. This will not happen on my watch

The second most important thing I think Bush will be best at is getting Gov't out of our lives. He is no Libertarian to be sure, but until there is more support for that party I will do what I can to keep Republicans in office. There is a delicate balance between Gov't overregulation and total freedom. We need regulation to keep industries in check, whether it be labor laws, or environmental issues. There has to be some regulation. I believe however that there has to be a limit, and that market forces do influence the decisions of companies. There are many recent examples of systems that work better when the Gov't gets out of the way and let's the public take charge. Bush has taken some small steps in this direction with the tax cut, faith based initiatives, and the No Child Left Behind campaign. I think in his second term when re-election is not a concern he will do more.

From Bush's RNC speech:
    I am running with a compassionate conservative philosophy: that government should help people improve their lives, not try to run their lives.
    New to TG? Start here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

9/10/01 I did not support Bush, but I knew where he stood and I'd already begun to see his ability to execute. I disagreed with some of his tax and social policies but there was no doubt in my mind about his positions.

After 9/11/01, I became a staunch Bush supporter because he has continued to show spine, courage, and crystal clear positions. Nuance may be important in legislators or professors, but it is terrible in leaders. Leaders must set an unambiguous tone and policy, as President Bush has done. Bush understands, too, what Patton saw in WWII: in a war defined by mobility (and terrorism is certainly that - a tank formation cannot suddenly appear in downtown Manhattan but 18 guys can drive 3 planes and murder 3000 people in the heart of your country) "defense" is a hopeless position to adopt. Only offense wins the tactical situations and of course no war is won on the defense.

Accordingly he took the fight to the enemy. The liberal position that he "mislead" the country into war is absurd. As early as Spring 2002, I knew, for example, that we were going to war in Iraq, before President Bush had really begun to lay out his case. Did anyone seriously have any doubt? Everyone who didn't live under a rock knew about Saddam Hussein, and anyone who thought understood that the middle east was a problem we had to solve. Some believe that the war on terror is not really a war and is not really a world war, or that we should have invaded Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, etc. instead of Iraq. I suppose that if one adopts that position then Mr. Bush's policies must seem weird and maddening. But I believe those people are wrong. They are valid points for debate though. The "Bush lied" story was, and is, facile.

In President Bush I see an honest, decent man and a nimble leader. I know that many see him as something else, but I'm entitled to my position as much as they are entitled to theirs, and I suspect that those folks have been looking for opportunities to see negative qualities in him since the day he announced his candidacy for president the first time he ran for the the office.

I even came around on tax and social issues these past 3 years. Having gone from making a lot of money to making almost nothing (and now back again, alleluhia!) I understand that a $300 tax break means a lot when you're trying to decide between calling the plumber or getting new tires. Do you want the government to decide which you need most?

Finally, for most of my adult life as a "democrat" I've been totally frustrated by the bozos that the democrats send to Washington and the silly positions they take on important issues. For example, Maxine Waters taking Airstide's side, claiming that tossing his sorry ass out of Haiti was an American "coup". Does any serious person want to associate themselves with Aristide? Tom Daschle - does he DO anything? Nancy Pelosi is good to pop up briefly and somberly criticize something or other, then disappear again. Senator Byrd, former Ku Klux Klan member being, embraced as a statesman by the democrats while they toss Trent Lott out of his position for saying something nice about Strom Thurmond on his birthday. On the whole, the Democrats have sunk so low, in my mind, that the only thing they truly support anymore is winning elections for themselves. I also came to abhor the sorry state in which Clinton left the agencies and policies on his watch - the FBI was disfunctional, the CIA was disfunctional. The internet boom of the 90's that gave us such wealth and boosted Clinton's economic numbers turned out to be based largely on unfounded hopes and blatant lies, much like his presidency.

No I've had enough of that for a while.

So I'm a Bush supporter now. I could go on. I encourage ANYONE to lay out their position for why Kerry would make a good president that isn't simple anti-Bush screed, but I suspect we won't be seeing that. I wouldn't be surprised by some personal attacks on Bush or even myself for having dare write that I don't think he's an idiot or a liar. Prove me wrong staunch Kerry supporters.
    Last edited by leejo; 09-07-2004 at 12:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wee I like to Swing too Luna

Buy right now I am kinda swinging a little towards leejo. I don't pretend to know much about who did what and who may or may not have lied about it but I do think one way or another what happened in Iraq needed to happen. I don't know if agree completely with how it happened but I have to applaud that a tough decision was made a decision to go to WAR. And I think it was done out of a belief that it was the right thing to do. And it was done even though it was not going to make us very popular or well liked with much of the rest of the world or even other Americans. So I think he has shown a dedication to America and I have seen nothing that remotly says that with Kerry.

If only Powell had run for president last time.
    "they're more like guidelines, than actual rules,"....Captain Barbossa - Pirates of the Caribbean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought for a bit on this subject and I've decided that you need to vote based on what's most important to you.

For the longest time, I was a one-issue voter. Almost every vote I cast was based on that single issue. Well, three years ago our world changed forever. I can no longer vote strictly on that one issue. I believe that national security, specifically the way we deal with terror, is the most important issue for me to consider when deciding who to vote for...

I look at the two likely candidates and look at how they might choose to deal with future terrorist attacks. The choice for me then becomes quite obvious.

I can't imagine any other issue being more important to anyone, but I suppose if you were more likely to take advantage of social programs (welfare), then that might be an important issue for you. I suppose if you were someone that regularly had abortions, then that might be an important issue for you. I suppose there are lots of people that won't have national security at the top of their list, but I can't imagine that very many of those people are able to play computer games online, so I doubt that they're here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quarath
    If only Powell had run for president last time.
    Hear HEAR!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then hillbilly bob voted david duke in on one vote cause bobby cant read to know that everyone is supposed to stay home. its nazi time in usa.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
    The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eternal
    Let the candidates know that they aren't worth your time or your vote. Sit home on election day!
    While it's an interesting idea, I think that the fact that 99% of non-voters are simply apathetic will negate any political message that you might try to convey...

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast