Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bunnyhopping training

Waypoints are a graspable example of HL's ability to float a sprite in midair based on X,Y, and Z coordinates.

Would it be helpful to write a plugin which served as a bunnyhopping training guide? This plugin would (with the user's permission blah blah blah) setup the de facto scripts/binds required for bunnyhopping and then use dynamically-positioned sprites to train the user on the angles and timing necessary to bunnyhop. Somehow (mp3/voice, text, whatever), the user would be instructed to proceed down the large hallway, always jumping/strafing as they land and always moving their mouse toward the floating sprite, the coordinates of which would constantly be recalculated based on the user's location (and direction, and speed?). Obviously, ad naseum elaborations could be added if and only if the core idea has merits, but one example of such an elaboration would be the display of timing metrics which allow the user to benchmark his own progress as he learns.

Help me think this through and decide if it's potentially useful. If we don't shoot it down, I'll be taking the discussion to the talent at modns.org.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: bunnyhopping training

there's an ns_training map in the works on the ns.org forums.

synergy people, synergy.

1+1=2.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is what I proposed possible using only the resources available to a map builder?

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's saying don't do something that in a way is already being done. If someone wants to learn to bhop, stop by #nsguides or #nslearn on gamesurge and you'll get the gist of it quickly. I don't see how a plugin could be dynamic enough to be helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I don't care to learn how to bunnyhop, but others do so I think the idea is a good one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a really good idea. There seem to be more and more people on the server who can BH so it looks like it is becoming an essential skill.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAdj`
    He's saying don't do something that in a way is already being done.
    I'll take that as a "no", that what I'm proposing is not possible using only the resources available to a map builder. Many players will not visit IRC and would feel more comfortable in an environment that is self-sufficient. Hell, the program could even pimp the IRC channels, encouraging people to seek them for advanced education (ramps, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by ----paranoid----
    In threoy it sounds like a good idea.
    How much work would it take to create what you are suggesting?
    I'm not sure, to be honest. I mean, the basic mechanic of bunnyhopping is hardly rocket science, so designing a tutorial program for learning the basics shouldn't be either ( coding it might be a bear, but that's both beside the point and a potential opportunity for me to expand my skills as a plugin author ).

I mean.. you jump, strafe, and get the angle right, and that's about it... ... right? Please don't provide a negative response to that question without providing information that's helpful (preferably in a helpful tone).

The program would only have to be as dynamic as is the basic bunnyhopping mechanic and, if I understand bunnyhopping correctly, it doesn't sound all that dynamic to teach. It might be dynamic to master (#nslearn), but not dynamic to teach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is if you're writing a plug in that places waypoints that people should bhop to. Learning to bhop isn't a set thing, you learn many styles over time to fit many environments. You can use a wide arc to gain speed, then narrow it down once you max out, or start out with a narrow arc for confined spaces, and max out in a few more hops than normal. It's not a set thing, and I don't know it it's possible to write such a plug in that could accomodate this. Worth a shot if you just want to improve your writing skills though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think bunnyhop can easily be taught that way, even if the technical aspects work out. Just some waypoints showing you where to aim wouldn't be enough for players to grasp the concept, and that's the important part of learning bunnyhopping. The only way to learn it is to read the basics from a guide or something(illustrations definitely help), practice it yourself until you really understand what it's about, and then all the subtle variations will come naturally.

Emanon

How are you going to teach backward bunnyhopping?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol.. good question.

I suppose the answer is that the goal is not to teach skill, the goal is to teach mechanic. The mechanic with backward bunnyhopping is identical to forward bunnyhopping with regard to the angles and timing. The trick is ... well... that's where skill comes in.. but there's nothing new to learn regarding the basic mechanic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to trade school to be a car mechanic, not a bunnyhop mechanic.
    Former TGNS admin until WoW blinded me with flashy lights.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's here all week, folks. Try the chicken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like lessons from a good bunny hopper on any account. Btw, I have a map called ns_bhop it would be perfect for practicing because it is just one huge track baisicly.

Emanon

Bhoping is like aiming you must practice it to become good at it. Most skilled players dont even think about it anymore they just do it. Almost 2nd nature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast