Welcome to Tactical Gamer

User Tag List

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YAB: Capture the Flag CO

Yet Another Brainstorm....

I'm imagining co_faceoff in a CTF gameplay mode. The flag starts in marine spawn. Anytime a marine carrying the flag touches the hive, the marines get a point and the flag is left at the hive. Anytime an alien carrying the flag touches the comm chair, the aliens get a point and the flag is left at the comm chair. Anytime either team earns a point, all members of both teams are teleported back to their respective spawn areas. The flag can only be removed from the hive by the aliens and from the comm chair by the marines.

When the player carrying the flag is killed, the flag falls to the ground. If this happens too close to the hive/chair of the fallen, the flag returns to the hive/chair (players are not teleported) to again be picked up by the team of the fallen, at the timing discretion of that team and that team only. Otherwise, the flag remains in play for either team to claim and move toward the opposition's structure. The experience earned for killing a player is doubled when the victim was carrying the flag. The flag holder is somehow easily recognizable during combat.

Upgrades are earned and used as in traditional CO. The first team to earn ? points wins the round. Traditional CO round-ending options (kill the structure) remain in play for both teams despite the points round-ending option.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: YAB: Capture the Flag CO

It's just an idea. Feel free to change/add/delete. Just play with it.

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To save someone else the trouble of pointing out the obvious: I'm sure CTF has been discussed within the context of CO before. That concerns me none, short of sharing ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering the speed advantage of the aliens, combined with leap and celerity: it would probably suck worse than Jedi Outcast Full-Force CTF games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aliens definitely have an advtange in the CTF portion. Marines would be more capable of taking down the hive though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I've played on a custom map server that had CTF done, although it was always marine vs. marine. It's not a bad idea, it can be pretty fun. Although yeah, I'm not sure how well aliens fit into the mix of CTF. But would be interesting to try out, nonetheless.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine, in the interest of brainstorming, that your first and only concern is making the CTF gameplay mode viable and entertaining:

What changes do you have to make to the aliens and/or marine classes in order to make it more fun than frustrating for both teams? What restrictions do you have to create? No leap if you're carrying the flag? No umbra if you're carrying the flag? Marines with jetpacks can't carry the flag? Lerks carrying the flag drop the flag when shot with a pistol? Jetpackers carrying the flag drop it when parasited?

Think outside the box. Be creative, even if you're not confident in your ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No fast movement with the flag beyond a certain point. Leap should be able to carry a flag, not blink/flight (lerk or jp). My reasoning is that skulks are quite weak, and shouldn't be able to move far without being blasted. If this turns out to be false they can be kept from carrying the flag too. The idea is that you can't win by sending in a superfast unit that can just fly right by everything and is nearly instoppable. A skulk is more like a scout in TFC than anything else, it's really easy to kill with one solid hit, which is why I think it should be able to carry the flag. Certain upgrades shouldn't be allowed to function with the flag either. Silence, cloak and redemption shouldn't work while carrying the flag.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The person carrying the flag gets SoF/MT until they drop the flag?

Too powerful? Not fun?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, make them earn it. You shouldn't have an advantage with the flag just because you hold it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was so much more fond of capture the gorge....but since its not marine vs marine, I don't imagine that'd work overly well =) In anycase....planetside adds a speed reduction to people carrying the LLU (flag) in their CTF situations, and it could just be a straight up percentage per type of player (stock marine, heavy, jetpack, skulks, lerk, etc), and yah...no real fast movement abilities with the flag carried (leap, blink) but I don't think flight should be restricted. While its not an original thought...I believe its effective.
    --T3C[]-[]N0 []v[]UFF1N

The vending machine originated in Egypt in 215 B.C. Learn somethin new everyday, dontcha?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you pick up the flag as an alien you become a gorge with cloak, SoF, and Carapace.

When you pick up the flag as a marine you become a HA with LMG, MT, and umm... A welder!
    RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't balance a symmetrical CTF game with such unsymmetrical teams, especially when one of the biggest differences is their maneuverability and speed... Maybe make it alien defensive only, with faster alien respawns, and marines are always the ones that have to cap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why have only one flag? What's wrong with the traditional CTF as in TFC? Each team has a flag that the other team must take from the enemy base and bring back their own thus crossing the map twice for each cap. Touching a dropped friendly flag returns it and you can only cap when your own flag is at home.

Win by hive/ chair kill should be disabled IMO. KISS.

As for an NS application, marine v marine or alien v alien would be easiest to balance. Otherwise I suggest a heavy movement and jumping penalty for the flag carrier and the disabling of cloak, leap and blink. Lerks culd still fly but the jump penalty would make it much slower/ more expensive. The carrier should be clearly marked e.g. they have a big flag or they look like disco mode in CS or shieldbelted player in UT with glowing "tron" outline.
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

www.MakePovertyHistory.com